Maternal & Child Community
newborns around non vaccinated children?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Our little boy is only 4  days old.  We go Wednesday for his vaccinations.  Problem is that we have some friends who have 2 small children that have not had any shots and the parents don't believe in them.  They want to come over and visit to see our baby.  Is this bad to have these children (and their parents) around our baby?  Please advise as this will be difficult to tell this this as well.
Tags: children, newborn, maternal, Baby, friends
Why are you afraid of them coming over.  If they're healthy and don't have a runny nose, etc...it should be no problem to be around the baby.
The only shot your son is gona get right now should only be the HepB. So basically any other illness is open game. Any newborn whether or not they are around children who are vaccinated or children who are not vaccintaed should not be handled and kept away form others ESPECIALLY small children. Newborns arent toys that should be passed around or constanly touched. Unless those children are outwardly showing signs of something I wouldnt be concerned. But I would not let them handle your baby because of the fact he is only 4 days old.

Also remember a 4 day old needs his rest he is new to the world and needs his downtime. If you give him to much stimuli he may become very cranky.
Most peds. dont even suggest taking them out this soon. Unless of course it is to go the the doctor.
How old are your friend's children?  If you're really concerned, I would tell them to hold off on coming over until your little guy is a little older and his immune system is stronger.  People with small children SHOULD have no problem understanding your concerns.  After all, they've been there, they know what having newborns is all about (I hope they do, some people act as if they were never in similar situations).
They are 3 and 8 months.  I guess if they are healthy it should be no problem right?  Being new at this, I wasn't sure that if they did have something the parents were currently unaware of if my son could catch it.  
I would definatly keep your baby away from their children for the first couple months, definatly if they haven't had any shots.  Your friends should understand, I mean I wouldn't want my newborn baby around anyones children that early.  I would tell them that you want to wait a couple months at least until your baby has a stronger immune system.
both the pediatrician in the hospital and my pediatrician told me to keep my baby away from children for at least the first 2 months. and they are both pretty relaxed about most other things, so i am taking this request seriously.
I would suggest that the young children keep their distance, but not totally banish them.  Washing hands goes a long way.  Yes they are strange children (as they aren't part of your own household), but what else is a parent supposed to do when they have other children?  Tell those kids to keep away?  Just my opinion.  
Well, as I already have kids, I know our new baby will constantly be exposed to germs.  Ask the children to wash their hands (or get really cool hand sanitizing gel).  Keep the baby away from obviously ill people of any ages.

With my first dd I was insane about germs, people touching her etc. She was sick all the time.  With my ds I was much more relaxed.  Just asked for clean hands, and the lad is hardly ever sick.  The first visit to a doctor besides normal check up was at 3 years.  My dd was 12.5 when he was born and her friends constantly came over to see (handle) the baby.  I also took him to her junior high at 1 week as she was doing a presentation for the entire school.  I think breast feeding really boosts a baby's immune system anyway.

Now this little girl I am carrying is a miracle after miscarriages and I will probably be a little more intense, but I believe babies are such a blessing and I hope lots of people will love her and fuss over her.

When I had my dd, I had my best friends come to visit in the hospital, and they had 2 small children at the time, ages 2 and 4...Of course, they ARE vaccinated, so that wasn't a concern for me, but I think I would hold off a little had they not been....being children, I knew they would at least want to see the baby, and most likely they would end up touching her....I also know they were in the hospital, touching everything, and possible carring many germs....I would not allow them to get close to the baby untill they had their parents properly wash their hands, and even then, the contact was very limited...If I were you and felt comfortable saying so, tell you would like to hold off for a little bit until your newborn is older, you never know what they could be carrying..Good luck and congrats on the new little one!
One other thing to consider, is when your child does get all of it's shots, since it has the live virus floating through its system, your child could be the one posing a risk to the unvaccinated children.

later on, if you do believe the vaccines work, then it should not be a problem, since they are protecting them from the diseases. But this early on, I agree that I would be cautious of anyone handling your baby so soon!

the thing about the HepB shot, is how many infants are going to be exposed to intravenous drug use, or sexual contact. This is not a high risk disease for infants, and can wear off before they turn 7. It seems really risky to me, to give a day-old baby all those toxins. It will actually be the thing that weakens the babie's immune system in the first place.

I would say avoiding chemicals and toxins into your child's body, and giving it the best nutrition through breastfeeding will be your best defense for keeping your child healthy!!!

But pray alot too- there are alot of major decisions you have to make as a parent right away, so just pray, and do the best you can!! :)
I just have a question, what is going to happen when everyone stop getting immunized? Will we go back to getting all these illnesses all over again?