Maternal & Child Community
nipple stimulation advice?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

nipple stimulation advice?

Hey all.  I am 37w, and really want to go into labor.  I tried nipple stimulation last night for about a half an hour, but it was very irritating and painful.  I was basically just rubbing and squeezing the nipple with lotion.  Am I doing somethign wrong?  I have read about women doing this for hours without pain.  Why is it hurting me after twenty minutes?  I wasnt pinching or pulling hard or anythign like that.  It did bring on some contractions, but not many......
Okay this is what my doctor told me to do and it surly put me into labor.  What you need to do it fill a tube of water as hot as you can stand it.  Lay in the tub and take a wash cloth and place it over your breast and stimulate your nipple for 15 minutes on each side for one hour.  So 15 minutes on the right side then 15 minutes on the left side, then repaeat right and left again.  When you're stimulating your nipples, the breast that you're stilulating need to be in the water when you're doing it, so you will need to lean to that side.  Your breast hold postome (sp?) and they give you in the hospital to induce your labor.   WHen you're stimulating your nipples it's relasing the postome into your system.  It's safe and it's in the book "What to Expect; WHen You're Expecting"  and sure enough I went into labor that morning.  Good Luck and let me know if it works for you.  I did mine on New Year's Eve because I wanted my daughter born before the New Year.
thanks so much.  now i know how i will be spending my afternoon...haha:)  hopefully i will be posting in a few hours that i am on my way to the hospital..
It might just be me but if you'r eonly 37 weeks and you haven't gone into labor yet it means the baby isn't ready to come out otherwise your dr would have set you up for induction.
If you were passed your due date I would say go for it but you're not.  You've come all this way.  I would just let nature take it's course.  You might ned those extra few weeks for the baby's weight.
If I were you, I wouldn't take matters into my own hands just because I was sick of being pregnant.  Pregnancy is for 40 weeks.
Good luck though.
You will have to let us know if this works for you because maybe I would try it then.  I know my body is ready for the baby to be born, this is my fourth one and I can tell all the pre labor signs, I just think I need a little extra something to get it going.  

At 37 weeks you are very safe to have the baby my son was 37 weeks and 6 pounds 4 oz and my daughter was 38 weeks at 5 pounds 14 ounces.  The baby only puts on little weight in the last couple of weeks, go for it and good luck!!  Full term is between 36 weeks and 41 weeks according to Mayo Clinic where I go!
getting into the bath now..........
I am aware that full term is 36 weeks.  I was induced at 38.  That was not my point.  Nor was it my point that she shouldn't do it, or that something could be wrong with the baby.  Babies do put on the most weight in the last few weeks.
It  it was just my opinion that if she hasn't gonei nto labor yet at 37 weeks that maybe she should wait until she decided to be her own dr.  
Also, if she goes into labor quickly, which is a side effect of nipple stimulation, she might not be able to get to the hospital in time.  When doctors do the nipple stimulation and they do it sometimes, they do it in a controlled environment because it tends to bring labor on quicker and harder.

This is from the Dr. Spock website.  The Mayo Clinic where you go should be very familiar with him.

You shouldn't even consider trying to begin your labor until you are around 40 weeks pregnant or overdue. That's because your due date could be inaccurate by a few weeks, and if you start your labor before 40 weeks, you might give birth to the baby before he is ready to thrive outside the womb.  Use caution when trying any of these natural methods to begin your labor, particularly herbs and nipple stimulation. The uterus can become hyperstimulated, meaning that it'll get too little rest between contractions. This can cause the baby to receive less oxygen, resulting in fetal heart rate slowing. Before trying any of these techniques, you should discuss them with your practitioner.
Please be careful if you choose to do nipple stimulation on your own.  My Dr advised me it could bring on very strong contractions fast and cause the baby to go into distress.
Any kind of stimulation to bring on labor will result in stronger contractions than if you were to sit around and wait for labor to start when it feels like it.  But my doctor recommends walking and getting your body ready for labor, one of the reasons it brings on stronger labor is because it is also quicker than if you had not prepared at all.  With my last two the DR. srtipped my membranes and that was much worse pain than with my first child who came on his own (at 37 weeks).  Mayo does not stop labor after 34 weeks and starts stripping the membranes at 38 weeks, if they were concerned that the baby would be in distress they would not even consider doing these things until at least 40 weeks. In her case she would like to spend more time with the baby before having to go back to school, I feel this is a great reason to have her baby at 37 weeks.  I am sure she would not even be considering it if she was not completely confident about her due date.  Did your baby have complecations at 38 weeks and this is why you feel she should not try to have it early?
I just think that everything should be discussed with your dr.  No one should ever take it upon themselves to do things on their own.  That's why we go to doctors.
My baby wasn't in distress.  I was.  The baby was getting very large, and since I had cerclage and my cervix was very thin they were afraid of complications.  I also have a blood clotting discorder called Factor V thrombophilia.
No offense to those of you who are and have been kind enough to tell me what to do for the past week every time I ask about a way to self induce, but did it ever occur to you all that we are not all uneducated philistines out here, jsut running amock with our pregnant selves?  I have a dr. who has seen me every week for the past three, and I have an apointment on thursday.  I was told at 36 weeks that I am all clear to go into labor.  Where do you all get your info ?  One person actually told me - last week - that a baby at 37 weeks is a preemie, and why would I want to endanger my baby?  How many of you gave birth at 37 weeks?  It is full term.  I understand the inner drive to be self righeous and indignant, but please get off my back.  This is my third baby, and I am under a dr. care.  So regardless of whether I give birth tonight, or it takes another three weeks, I can do without all of your doomsaying and warnings.  Noone on this site is an idiot, so please stop treating us like we are.
AND THANK YOU EMILY FOR REMEMBERING WHY I WANT TO HAVE THIS BABY EARLIER IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!
I would prefer not to go the petocin route, I want to give birth naturally bcuz of complications with the epidural after my last baby was born.  not that it is any of your business.... And there are babies born at 40 weeks, and after, that have breathing difficulties.  The lungs are completely developed before 37 weeks.  As for u/s being off a week or so, since Im not 30 weeks pg, it wouldnt really amtter, would it?  Maybe Im really at 38....

What do you ppl care if if rub my nipples anyway?  If I would post that I am having contractions at 37 weeks, or that my water broke, noone would have any complaints.  One of you actually lied in a post about being a midwife to WARN me of the dangers of self inducing.  What is it all about anyway?
The fact is that it does not matter if you are 34 weeks or 42 weeks the baby could have complecations for many different reasons.  If your body really is ready for labor than it will indeed go into labor through helping it along, and there is nothing wrong with doing this because your body will not go into labor unless it is ready anyway.  The only thing that stimulation will do is make is a quicker labor for the most part.  If your baby has complications after delivery after it is 36 weeks it would have the complications no matter if you were 36 weeks or 42 weeks.  I think that it is okay for us to ask for advice without having people rip our decisions apart.  

Once again good luck in your stimulation I would love to know how it works because I'd like to try it.
Listen, no one treated you like an idiot.  If you can get yourself to a computer to post these things and ask these questions then why don't you google "self induction" and see what comes up.  There are a lot of dangers.  
I do think however, that you should talk to your dr.  If you've been seeing a dr every 3 weeks as you say and you're 100% sure your baby is ready to come out then why hasn't your dr told you about ways to self induce?  Why would you ask us here and not your dr?
We're only trying to give you all the necessary info there is. But, ultimately it's your decision.  
If you were to go into labor at 37 weeks it would be fine and we would wish you luck because obviously the baby is ready to come out.
It's simple, you haven't gone into labor yet because the baby clearly isn't ready.  Just because YOU are doesn't mean the baby is.  It doesn't take an idiot to grasp that concept.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
I agree with you.  Why do some people have to get so nasty. Not everyone will know what you are going through, nor will they understand.  My doctor agreed to induce me at 38 weeks, because I was in alot of pain with my back.  But believe me, I tried the nipple stimulation to go earlier, but it didn't work for me.  My body just wasn't ready.  If you are ready, it will work for you.  Best of luck and happy stimulating  :)
Listen girly,
Why the attitude?  This is a friendly forum, no need to have the Last word in.  That is the reason that I frequent this site, even though I am finished having my THREE children.  I want to be able to offer advise to anyone who has experienced something that I have gone through.  I too understand the Epidural complication.  I had "SPINAL HEADACHES" after the birth of my second child, I didn't want to be induced with my third, because I knew that I would NEED another epidural,  but I was scared to death of getting the spinal headaches again.  So anything that I could do to try to speed up the process is what I did.  You are absolutely right, there can be complications at 37 weeks, but there can also be complications at 42 weeks.  We are not idiots.  Your tone certainly indicated that you thought ima1 was.  Perhaps you should re-read your past posts.  The problem with these posts is that sometimes your tone is not as you had intended.  
Best of luck to you IMA1!  I hope it works for you!
I have spoken to my dr.  If you recall, last week I had a whole post about castor oil, and waiting till Wednesday till I spoke to him.  Ultimately I decided not to go with his advice on that one, because I didnt like what people on this and other sites told me about it.  If you had  read the top post, you would knoe that i wasnt asking if it was ok to do nipple stimulation, but why it was hurting me so much.  As for why I didnt call my dr. at the hospital to tell him that my nipples hurt, I dont think even you need an answer to that.  And I have yet to hear one intelligent reason from you that this would be dangerous, other than "babies born after 37 weeks can also have difficulties".  Emily is 100% right, if my body isnt ready, this will not make me go into labor.  It will only hurry things along if it is.
Some of our little community here just need to be vindictive and bossy, just like they probably are in their everyday life.  It was really bad a few months ago, but the troublemakers were eventually banned.  I dont know what has been going on recently, since I didnt have computer access for about three months.  I usually just ignore them, unless they are being so insipid and bothersome that I blow my fuse, as happened today.  we rae all under pressure from being/wanting to be pregnant, and I try to focus ont hat when people are being exceptionally nasty.  Dont let them get to you.  Ultimately, their opinion does not matter.  Thanks for giving me your support:):)
I was not being nasty nor did I give attidude.  I replied to her question initially with concern for her.  She choose to take it personally saying I (and others) were treating her as an idiot.  I was not.  I do not know about previous posts.  I was replying to this one and nicely I might add.  I don't this woman from a hole in the wall.  I was just putting a concern in not a doomsday situation like she claimed.  It was never intended to make her angry.  
Then she went on in another post here to attack someone else and I quote "not that it's any of your business".  To me, if you don't want opther people's opinions don't post and if it's not what you want to hear, don't listen.
No one was trying to tell her what to do.  We, especially I, was just trying to give her info in CASE she didn't have it.
And I quote myself when I say that "ultimately it's her decision" andit is.
I have never and would never be openly nasty to anyone on this site.  I too had a successful pregnancy and came on to helpothers.  I have never been gone after for giving my advice.  You can tke it or leave it.
I have wished her the best from the first post so I don't understnad where this is all coming from but obviously my advice or concern is not appreciated and that's fine.  She didn't have to talk to the ones who gave her another point of view like we were out to get her.  
I apologize if I came off nasty in response.  I was trying to give another perspective.  It's her decision whether or not she wants to take it.
Clearly she doesn't and I still wish her the best.
Well just to add my little bit of input I delievered at 38w1d by induction due to high BP and Quinn did have some difficulty with breathing, she was having a hard time clearing fluids out of her lungs and the doctor said she was glad we waited an addl week to induce rather than have her at 37 weeks as there was a possibility that she would not have been able to come home with me.
As for nipple stim, go for it if you want. If the kid is not ready to be born no matter how long you rub them nothing will happen until baby is ready to make an entrance.
I did it for about 50 minutes, then got out of the bath because I felt I was getting too hot.  I am going to try it again later, but not in the tub.  The method of switching nipples works better for me becuase there is time for the skin to rest and it doesnt get irritated.  I will let you know what happens.
Talk to your dr about stripping your membranes at your next appt, his answer as to whether or not he will do it should give you an indication as to whether or not pushing labor at 37 weeks is a good idea. I haven't read your other posts, but are you dilated, efaced...anything? Trying to stimluate at 0cm or a negative station probably wouldn't work anyhow.

I have long stood by the idea that baby will come when baby is ready. Blast me all you want for that idea, but it is what I think.

I understand that pregnancy isn't a picnic and that something *could* happen at any time during the process, but why not just let things happen as they may unless you have an underlying medical condition such as Harley had.

I had my membranes stripped with my first and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, outside of hard labor.  I also bled a lot afterwards, which is why I havent asked for it, and honestly probably wont.  I also do not want to have to take petocin, since I am hoping to give birth without epidural.  I have to start school on Feb. 26, and the whole reason that I want to go a bit early is so I can have some time with my baby vefore having to leave him with a babysitter.  I am a nursing major, and completely understand that it is dangerous for babies to be born early.  however, 37 weeks is not early.  As I have said many times before, I am seeing my dr. every week, and he told me a week ago allready that it is now completely safe for me to go into labor.  And as Harley said, if my nody is not ready, I can stimulate whatever I want and it will not make a difference.  

Harley - How is your baby now?  Am I remembering correctly - was it you that had to be induced because of an insurance lag?  It was a while ago that it was mentioned - I dont remember if it was you or ricangirl.
I was induced due to chronic hypertension, it had nothing to do with insurance.
I read that in your post, but I thought I remembered you mentioning a few months ago that you were going to have to be induced because your dh insurance was going to lag at the end of december.  i guess it was rican girl.  i havent seen her around since i got back onnto the site, i guess she had her baby allready.
So you're still pregnant too huh? I am hoping I will go soon. I am almost 38 weeks, and am having some problems due to pre-existing medical conditions. I am set to be induced on Jan 17th if I do not go on my own before then. I am very small, and my Dr. wants to make sure the baby fits out, as well as being able to monitor me through the whole labor. I would be trying a lot harder to get things moving if I weren't so nervous of my own medical problems. So far I've just tried sex, and foot massage. I think you're fine to have the baby any time now. It doesn't sound like the nipple stim. is working though. I did get some contractions out of the foot massage, but nothing really worthwhile. Good luck to you.
Im sorry, were you actually under the impression that anyone on this site thought you were a compitent medical advisor?  If so, I think you should read the disclaimer again.  As far as I understood it, this site is for people with mediccal questions to ask other people with the same issue for their iinsights, noone else here seems to comsider themselves an unfallable source for information.  Most of us are just content to talk to other girls going through the same things we are, without needing to flex our God muscle.  What is it with you people that cant tollerate an opinion different from your own and feel that you have to correct all of us misguideds in the world?
I wasn't going to go into full detail why nipple stimulation can be dangerous but I will now because of your snotty attitude.  
My friend was 39 wks pregnant, all was good but she was tired of being pregnant.  She did nipple stimulation, it brought on very hard contraction quickly,  the baby became distressed, having jerky motions, 1 hour later he was stillborn.  The cord was knotted and wrappped around his neck 3 times.  She had an ultrasound the day before and all was ok.  The Dr's said they believe the nipple stimultation and severity of contractions caused the cord to wrap around the babies neck.    
Also- my son was delivered at 37 wks because of placenta previa, yes he was considered full term but still had difficulties with breathing and eating.
Yes, 37 weeks is considered term.  No, doctors will not induce you at 37 weeks, unless there is a GOOD MEDICAL reason to do so.  The reason is that it is quite easy to be a week off in dates, and while statistically speaking an earlier baby will ULTIMATELY usually do fine, they can have some extra breathing, feeding or blood sugar issues.
If doctors won't electively induce someone at 37 weeks, it would give me pause to think maybe it isn't a good idea to try to do it myself at home.  

That being said, mostly people here are right.  If the baby is not ready, you can twist and turn your nips until the cows come home and nothing will happen.  However, RARELY, nipple stimulation can cause tetanic contractions that could lead to distress.  That's the reason nipple stim is generally NOT DONE unless the woman is monitored.  

So make your own choice (which obviously you have).   Probably everything will be fine.  If "probably" is good enough for you and your baby, twist and rub away!
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/maternal/messages/47302.html

for those of you who noticed the "goodbye to the nutters" thread was deleted, here's the post made when she said she wanted to start preterm labor in order for school reasons...
You asked for opinions and you got them.  If you just want to have people hold your hand and tell you that you are wise, perfect and beautiful, go see your Nana, because all the women on here will tell you exactly what you think.  If you can't handle it, then leave.  I know that is harsh, but this forum is open and that means you take the good with the bad.
Hello, I will be 39 weeks prego in 2 days with my second child.  As of 1 week ago I was 3cm dilated, and my Dr. stripped my membranes which didn't do anything.  I believe I lost my plug over the weekend, but have not really had any contractions, just very persistant lower back pain.  I want to ask my Dr. to induce me when I see her today, but I don't think she typically likes to do that unless it is medically necessary.  I tried nipple stimulation over the weekend with a breast pump, and didn't get any congtractions.  My breast hurt today sort of how they feel like when they get engorged.  The post about the still born just freaked me out though!!  I have felt her move since I have done it though, but i'm still very worried!
hey.. im also 37 weeks and i kno wahy u in this urge to have your baby... i cant take it anymore.. im having contraction all the time.. im in pain almost all day and my back is killing me.. im looking for ways to induce too.. and im gonna try doing the nipple stimulation... and im 100% with you... and dont mind this other people who are saying stuff... because maybe they just jelous that you can go into labor early when they didnt so go ahead and if it works dont forget to tell us ok
wow you seem really tense about everything. ifyou ask for advice be ready to take the good with the bad as you say. I am 40 weeks pregnant and understand completly how you would want to give birth. I will be induced next week, however, I am hoping it will happen on its own. Don't be so angry....I looked to this site as an opportunity to hear about others experiences or stories. Some of the responses are good and some not so much, you read and press on. No-one on the site is a dr. This is an open forum so chill out , its a bummer to read such nasty responses. Good luck to you and I pray you give birth REAL SOON!!!
It is so sad that anyone would think of themselves rather than their baby.  Being pregnant is about a life having time to grow and the body preparing to successfully deliver that life.  Just because you want your baby to be born on a certain day, or you are working or going to school are not reasons to sacrifice the health of your baby.  No reason could be worth any complication with your precious baby.  Even if other people have been successful at naturally inducing labor the risk was their baby's life.  Even inducing labor medically can cause complication both to the mother and the baby.  The decision of induction should be based on you and your baby's survival.  There is no need to rush the birth if you or your baby's life is not at any danger.  If your child was scheduled for a surgery your would not try to rush that surgery sooner just so you could have them back at home by a certain day.  If is always impotant to put the baby first because they are the reason you are pregnant.
Well, i am just over 38 wks pregnant and i am so miserable i can hardly walk. I can't even pick up my 2 year old daughter because of the pain i am in. I have been having braxton hicks contractions for almost 4 weeks now. I am dialated almost to 3 and 50% effaced. I am going to try the nipple stimulation as soon as i have a chance and i hope it works. Plus there is a full moon tonite, so i am really hoping something happens. And i just leave it in God's hands if it works or not and how the baby will handle it. Thank you all for your advice, i appreciate it.
Here's a good website for the kind of help  you are looking for: http://www.birthingnaturally.net/  

Doctors that are telling women that babies are "full-term" at anything other than 40 weeks need to go back to school!  Lungs are not fully developed until very close to 40 weeks (formed yes, but not developed) and some babies take a little longer than 40 weeks.   Which is why some babies are born earlier than others.  Babies come when they are ready.  You can take all the castor oil, do all the nipple stimulation, massage and whatever else you can think of until you wear yourself out...but if the baby isn't ready, and your body isn't ready, it won't happen without medical intervention.   I am a doula and most of my clients want to 'try something'...If it's home remedies we are talking about...I always say "go ahead, but pay close attention to baby's movements" (I also give them a list of the dangers so that they can make an informed choice as to whether or not they want to go through with it), because if the two bodies aren't ready - nothing will happen.  The part I find sad is watching the women become discouraged when she is adamant about having her child, and just wears herself out trying, and then she's not in as good of form when she does go into labor as she could have been if she'd just had a little more patience.

Dear have 2 kids, Doing nipple stimulation will not wrap a cord around a baby's neck.  The cord was likely already around the neck and as with all inductions (both over the counter stuff and medical) contractions are stronger and do force the baby down - pulling on the cord and tightening it.  Sometimes this happens before those in attendance can get a good feel for how baby is handling this (and if it's done at home - usually no one is there listening to baby).  Or if it's not the cord being stretched too hard, then it could have been a long cord and there could have been some cord compression along with it being around the babies neck.  1 in 3 babies has the cord wrapped around it's neck.

Also, just because one birth you have a short cord, doesn't mean your next birth you won't have a long one.  Every birth will be different.

Just relax and drink some nice warm herbal tea and have joy in your heart that you were able to have the kind of birth you wanted with your 2 kids.  I have four and every birth was completely different, but one thing I did was keep relaxed and all my births were hastened because of it.  I did use herbs and castor oil to induce my labors (on all four) and I almost lost a child because of it, would I try it again...I probably would as long as I was sure that I was at least 40 weeks first.

Good day to all!

JH125
hi this is my first baby and im 40 weeks and 1 day.i have been gettin deep period pains and am so fed up of waitin for the baby to come. I would love to try nipple stimulation but am scared incase it does the baby any harm.does any1 have any advise on weather i sould do it or not??
37 WEEKS IS FULL TERM!!! Just because 1 website says it is not, does not mean that every other doctor in the world is WRONG.....  I was induced at 37 weeks with my first, and 37 1/2 with my 2nd. Both my babies were over 7 pounds. This baby will be induced in 2 weeks at 38 weeks and that is only because my doctor will be out of town and this baby is still in Breech position. Doctors exact words "unless you go on your own before"
Because she wants to rub her nipples to have her precious bundle and be able to spend time with the baby before the reality of life and daycare come to play dosent AT ALL mean she is thinking of herself first and not the welfare of her baby....  I have 2 other children as i stated earlier who also need to adjust to a new little life in their home. Which if all plays out right will be while they are off on christmas break.  Does that make me thinking of myself first also? Im sorry to have chimed in with a bit of an attitude, but this is not the right place to be telling a pregnant women that is that far along that she is not thinking of the welfare of her child when she is clearly full term to deliver.
Full term is 37 weeks my dr just confirmed it. .. . Hospitals concider babies full term at this time. So ur obviously not accurate.
I am from the UK and here we have midwifery led care for all low risk births, I'm also a nursing student and actually worked with my midwife prior to her completing her conversion to midwifery. I asked her about getting things going, she said as soon as I hit 37 weeks I need to get my backside over that birthing ball, have a good "bonk", have a curry and get rubbing my nipples! I have another good friend who is a midwife and she whole-heartedly agreed and said never be tempted to take castor oil (I didn't ask for details!). Their view is that you're only helping things along and it's much better to help your own hormones peak (which they will do naturally) and help the cervix thin and dilate through sex and bouncing than lying / sitting in a state of perpetual inertia on a lilly pad which is more likely to cause back labours.