Maternal & Child Community
no fetal heartbeat at 13 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

no fetal heartbeat at 13 weeks

Hello, I went to the doctor at 13 weeks for a routine check of fetal heartbeat. None could be heard with the doppler, so they checked with abdominal ultrsound. The fetus could be viewed clearly but no fetal heartbeat was seen. At 9 weeks there was a fetal heartbeat seen with a vaginal ultrasound. I am 40 years old and in excellent health. I have three children ages 15, 12, 8. I have had no infections and do not smoke or drink and have not taken any medications during this pregnancy except my prenatal vitamin (StuartNatal Duet)and calcuim supplements (1000 mg/day of Ca citrate) since I am lactose intolerant. What could have happened, and could there be any chance I should repeat the ultrasound before I schedule a D&C?
I am so sorry you have to be going through this. I went through something very similar a few months ago. October 20th I had an ultrasound done at my regular OB at 9 weeks and everything looked great. Wonderful heartbeat and the baby even waved. On October 27th I went to my first visit with a specialist who would watch my pregnancy closely because of high blood sugar and liver enzymes. They did an ultrasound and there was no heartbeat and no movement. I didn't have any idea anything was wrong. I wasn't cramping or bleeding and even had morning sickness that day. He sent me directly to my regular OB who scheduled a d & c the next day. I asked him if they'd double check beforehand and he said no. He said the specialist checked very closely and he was confident that I lost the baby. I wish you better luck, though. If possible, insist on a last minute ultrasound. Even if I really did lose my baby, I never had the comfort of knowing that at the last minute whether or not my baby had a heartbeat. Take care and please let me know what happens.
So sorry annie to hear about your loss.  And it has nothing to do with your health.  Miscarriages are very common and really nothing todo to prevent them.
I am new to these posts and I can't tell you how comforting it was to come home and read your replies. I am scheduled for the D&C tomorrow, but I will insist on another ultrasound, just to be sure. I don't care if they think I'm crazy!
I am very sorry for your loss, it is so tough. I would ask for another us, just to set your mind at ease. Unfortunaley i have a feeling they may be right, especially if they can't visualize it at this stage. Please keep in mind that nothing you could have done would have caused this. From the sounds of it, you were doing everything right and even doing more good than most : )

Again, I am very sorry for your loss and pray for you and your family.

Andrea
I would definitly do another u/s.
Hello Annie.  I went through something very similar last October, 2003.  I'm 30 years old, very healthy, I dont' drink, smoke, I exercise and take my vitamins but my husband and I have trouble conceiving.  After 5 months of injectable fertility drugs and artifical insemination, I was finally pregant.  Idential twins in fact.  Everything was fine, I was getting bigger and just waiting for the day that I felt them move. But everything changed at 18 weeks into my pregnancy.  We were scheduled for a level 2 ultrasound at the hospital, I was so excited because I was finally going to know the sex of my babies. The technican completed the ultrasound and then the doctor came in and performed another ultrasound only to confirm what the technican had found.  Neither one of my babies had a heart beat.  Although I had heard their heart beats at 16 weeks during a regular office visit at the OB/GYN. This was on a Friday afternoon and on Monday I was admitted into the hospital to delivery my babies.  I requested an additional ultrasound which confirmed once again that there were no heartbeats.  On Oct. 14 at 3:59 & 4:12 a.m. my sons David and James were born. To this day I have no medical reason as to why their hearts stopped beating.  I have pictures of me holding my sons and I wear a mothers rings with their birthstones and mine in it everyday.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of them or wish for a medical reason as to why this happened, but I will never get my explanation.  For some reason, god wanted my sons.  But I have not given up trying to conceive again.  I actually started my fertility drugs once again last night and if all goes right, I will concieve (conceive) this month and delivery a healthy child this time.  The only thing I am doing differently this time, is that my doctor is putting me on a baby asprin once a day.  This is suppose to help fight off any antibodies my body might be producing which might help prevent this from happening again.  I wish you the best of luck in your next pregnancy.
I am 7 wks from conception.  The us did not show a heartbeat.  Doc ordered an iv us which confirmed that there was no heartbeat.  Doc wants to schedule a D&C, but I am very hesitant.  I haven't had and cramping or bleeding.  I keep hearing stories like this where people have waited about 2 wks for a repeat us at which a heartbeat is detected.  Has anyone had a similar situation?  I know in my heart I should wait.
Hi Annie,

I've just gone through the exact same thing that you're going through so i know its hell.

There was no fetal hearbeat when i was 8 weeks - but that didn't concern then as much as my HCG levels started to drop from 17,500 to 10,000. Besides which i had cramping and then the spottign started.

Annie, it normal to feel distressed but nothign you could have done could ahve avoided this situation. My prayers are with you
Hello. I just wanted to offer some reassurance to those, like me, who may have stumbled upon this site after a scary visit to the doc with no heartbeat detected on the doeppler. I was so sad and devasted for all the women who had lost their babies. I can only imagine the quiet pain you must have suffered through. I was almost fourteen weeks when this happened to me and my midwife could find no heartbeat. I panicked, thought the most scary thoughts, and prepared for the worst. However, after the worst 36 hours of waiting of my life, I went for an ultrasound and my baby was happy with a strong heartbeat and a lot of movement. Since then, I have heard that a lot of people do not hear the heartbeat on the doeppler until much later. In fact, my naturopath said that unless she had a full bladder, she could not hear it even up until 24 weeks. So, don't panick and think positively.
hi! everyone,

i'm sad to hear about what happen, but i myself experience same situation. the most upsetting is i didn't even have any check up before hand. i was schedule on sept 16/09 ffor our first check up at 13 weeks and 3 day... i haven't even see my baby...except when i when to the emergency room had an u/s my husband and i couldn't accept the news about our baby,,,he said he couldn't find a heart beat so he schedule another u/s confirmed that the baby has no heart beat,,,wile i was waiting gong to the washroom that's when i saw blood...so the doctor said i am having a miscarriage... he gave us to choice d&c or naturally getting rid off the baby....
by the way we when home we wante dto talk to our obgyn but later on after 31/2 hrs i started having severe labor pains when back to the emergency and waited for 5 hrs for a dotor to see me ladies at this point i'm in labor to give birth nobody told me that this is what is happening my water broke...i when to the washroom not knowing i'm in labor i saw my baby in the toilet followed by the placenta,,,

the labot was painful but the giving birth @13 weeks is not pain ful at all...i guest depending on what stage of pregnancy.....

reading some of the articles here,  i feel at ease...about the D&C procedure i would definately triple check before going a head...wait 36hours if nothing is happening i would see...booked another appt.

if anybody get an answer why? this happens please share...

thanks,
cristina, toronto