Maternal & Child Community
no heartbeat at 6w1d

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

no heartbeat at 6w1d

My last menstual period was 07/31/03.  I received a transvaginal ultrasound at 6w5d (LMP) and was told that the gestational sac was measuring small at only 4-5 weeks.  They took hcg levels that day, which was 13,000.  Two days later it increased to 18,000.  My progesterone was 19.

My dr. sent me for another vaginal ultrasound 6 days later at 7w4d.  I was told that the fetal pole and yolk sac could be seen and that the fetus had grown to 6w1d, still about 10 days smaller than expected.  Still no heartbeat.  

My dr. wants me to have the ultrasound repeated yet again one week later.  Shouldn't the heartbeat have been seen by now?  Is this a common occurence?  The crown-rump was 4 mm and I have not been bleeding or spotting.  Is it realistic to have any sort of hope for a heartbeat the next time I go in?  I just want to
mentally prepare myself.

Thanks very much.
It is very possible that the date of conception could be off.  You may have ovulated very late, and that would explain why the baby is smaller than expected.  Don't give up hope - (((hugs)))
I am going through the almost exact same thing!  I had slow doubling hcg levels, went for an u/s at 6wks/3dys and saw the yolk sac and fetal pole, but no heartbeat and then again at 7wks/3dys and still didn't see a heartbeat.  I go again tomorrow, at 8 weeks.  It has been agony waiting all this time, so I know what you are going through.  I will pray for us both to see those hearts beating away!!!!
Thanks for the replies - it really helps to hear from others.  Sunshine, I will be praying for you as well.  I know the waiting is hell and I really can't concentrate or focus on anything else right now.
I wish you both the best. I will keep you in my prayers. (((HUGS))) Shannon
You ladies are so sweet.  Thanks so much for your kind words and support.

Sunshine, please update tomorrow and let us know how the ultrasound goes.
God Bless you both. I hope everything goes well for you. I know the stress of waiting is so hard. Hang in there, you are both in my prayers. As was stated above, the dates could be off.
good luck
Don't give up hope!!!!!  Let me tell you what happened to me:  I had an u/s at about 5-6 weeks, no hearbeat was found,the sac was small and irregularly-shaped etc... plus I was spotting.  Dr said be prepared to miscarry in the upcoming weekend. Well, I tried my best to "get ready", but it never happened!!  They didn't even bother to think that my dates might have been off!!  Two weeks later u/s showed nice heartbeat. Those dr's were very incompetent and pessimistic.  Now I'm 21 weeks and baby is doing great.  Some women don't get to see the heartbeat only around 8 weeks.  Please let us know what happens!  Hugs, Ildi
Oh my God. Reading these entries has given me some hope. I went in for my first visit after finding out I was pregnant. This was my first checkup. The dr. did a tranvaginal ultrasound and could not see the heartbeat. The fetus was there and at the approximate correct size. She told me she was sorry and to come back ina week to see if I had successfully miscarried. I have had NO cramping or spotting or bleeding. I even seem to be getting bigger despite losing 1/2 pound in a week.I do not like this waiting to miscarry because I feel fine. My breasts are still a bit tender but the nausea has diminished a bit. Never really had too much even in my first pregnancy. Is there still hope? She calculated me at 9 weeks?
Well, my u/s was not good.  There was nothing in the sac this time.  I am getting a D&C on Monday.  I am trying to deal with it the best I can right now.  I was told 2 weeks ago that this was not a good pregnancy when my hcg levels were not doubling, so I have been prepared for the worst.  I really hope you all have better news at your next u/s than I did.  I was having the other issues with my hormones, so if your levels are doubling as they should, you should be seeing your heart beats soon.
I am going to request an hcg level as well. I am going to ask Monday and Wednesday I go for my check up from when they told me that there was no heartbeat. Hopefully the dayes are off and there will be a heartbeat Wednesday. Chris I will be thinking of you as well as Sunshine. Keep up hope for the future it WILL happen. Thank you so much ladies.
Chris, when is your next u/s.  Please let us know what happens.  Hopefully you will see something and maybe your dates were off.  I knew mine weren't, since I used a OPK and knew when my O was.

Jaydensmom,  I sure hope you are getting that u/s to find out what is happening.  Sounds like everything is doing well, so why did they say you would m/c?  Is it because you are already at 9 weeks?  There could still be a chance to see the heartbeat after that.  I have read it could be up to 10 weeks.  Of course in my case there was no hope to even wait until 9 weeks.
i wouldn't worry too much, most of the time you can't see the heartbeat till your around 7 weeks, i'm 8 and i just had my early ultrasound for m/c reasons, and i barely saw the heart moving, but it was there, be patient, i know it's not easy, trust me, after 2 m/c and almost 2 years of trying it's not easy to relax or stay calm, it wasn't real to me until today...again, it's so small, i wouldn't worry till your further along about the heart beat.

Good luck!
keep us posted
Sunshine, I'm so very sorry to hear your news.  It brought tears to my eyes & I'll keep you in my prayers still.  I know you're going through a rough time right now.  My ultrasound will be on  Monday at 12:30.  I am so anxious and cannot wait for it to be over with.  My dr. basically told me that this will probably be my last one and if there is no heartbeat still, I should schedule the d & c.  I think I've come to terms that this might not work out the way I hope for, but I will be relieved once I know once & for all what is going on.

Sunshine, I am so sorry to hear about your recent ultrasound. Like I keep telling myself, it is for a reason. God did not want us to have a child with something wrong so he took it before it got worse. I know it does not change anything I am going through the same thing you are. Just pray for the best for the next one and everything will be ok. Hang in there and keep your chin up. I am trying to:)
Oh my I'm so sorry to here this I pray that the heart beats are seen or atleast hurd I'm 38weeks pregnant for the first time the only thing I've been through is that thinking my bestfriend would hate me because she had a misscariedge and hadn't been able to get pregnant since but now she is 2 months well I best all ya'll the best of luck and sunshine I'll keep you in my prayers there is a reason for everything you don't want a baby you aren't mintaly stabel for as in problems I mean bad problems God knows what he is doing well God bless ya'll and my best wishes are wif ya'll...
Hi Everyone, I just got back from my ultrasound and unfortunately did not receive good news.  There was no fetal growth between last week & this week & no heartbeat.  I feel so drained.  My dr. wants me to come in for a visit tomorrow and I guess she'll recommend a d & c.  Thank you all so much for listening and offering your prayers and support.  It really did mean so much to me.  Good luck  and take care!
I'm SO SO sorry to hear your SAD news =(.  I will be thinking of you and praying for you.  I know what you're going through and it's just heartbreaking.  Take care of yourself and know you're not alone!((((((((((HUGS))))))
I am right there with Kellie, I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy, especially when you want it so bad.

Please know you are in the thoughts and prayers of not only myself and Kellie, but many of us here.

Andrea
Well everyone wish me luck. Maybe there will be some sort of crazy miracle and there will be a heartbeat today. I go for my followup today at 2 pm. I am nervous and very anxious. I have this feeling that everything will be ok and they will see a heartbeat but I don't want to get myself all excited over nothing. By the sounds of it it seems to be that there will be no heartbeat and no baby. I still feel fine no cramping,or spotting or bleeding. Breasts are still tender and I still get nauseas on and off. Please keep your fingers crossed.
Well everyone it is official. 3 sonograms and no heartbeat. It hs been 2 weeks and still haven't miscarried yet. Wish it would just happen!!! Hope all are doing well and are feeling well. Stay well and good luck.
Jayden'sMom, I am sorry to hear that.  It looks like we all ended up having bad luck this time around.  I was at nine weeks (fetus stopped growing at 6) and still did not show any sign of miscarriage.  I opted for a d & e this past Wednesday.  To tell the truth, that helped me open up the door at trying to heal mentally and physically.  For me, it was torturous to walk around, waiting for the miscarriage to happen.  Take care of yourself & my prayers are with you.
Chris, so sorry to hear your news. I am going to make my d&c appt. next week. I can't wait any longer everytime i think i am getting cramps nothing happens. I still feel fine but pregnancy symptoms are gone. It is tough but I know God had his reasons and I respect that(i think). I will keep you in my prayers for better news to come!!!!!!!
This is my first pregnancy and the LMP was on the 21/08/03. I havd my scan on the 10/10/03 and the there was no heartbeat detected. my dr. said we will waite for another 10 days  and if no heartbeat then we will have to terminate the pregnancy.  I am pretty sure I ovulated around the 4th of september!? I'm worried sick and don't know what to think? Can any one shed some light on this for me?

Thanx
Hi Zuaf,  The only thing I can tell you is to hold on and stay strong. I went through the same thing but would not give up because I still had some pregnancy symptoms. I had my hcg levels checked and several ultrasounds including at the hospital. It wasn't until my blood results came back low that I finally realized that it was true.  If there is a spark of hope in you don't give up right away. The baby could be in a position where they can't see the heartbeating, there may be twins and the other is fine(that happened to a friend of mine, she went through the same thing no heartbeat but later on they found she was having twins but one didn't survive because that was the heartbeat they couldn't find.The twin was hiding behind the other. Hold on a little bit longer if you could and have more tests done to truly confirm. Ask for more blood work to compare the hcg levels.  I am scheduled for a d&c tomorrow. good luck and i will be thinking of you!
I'm in a similar situation and want some advice.  I'm in the camp of if it is inevitable, I want a D&C and don't want to wait to miscarry.  As of last Friday, I was 8 weeks pregnant according to the date of my last period.  I took ovulation tests and believe I ovulated bizarrely late, which makes me think I'm really a week or 2 earlier.  I have had 2 ultrasounds which showed only a gestation sac and no yolk or heartbeat.  My HCG levels show bad news as well, they went from a rate of 80% to 60% and in the past 7 days only increased from 3100 to 5100.  I asked if there was ANY hope and told no.  I was so sure of my decision to have a D&C this Friday, but have read tons of posts about heartbeats seen very late and HCG levels that weren't "normal".  Please help me to feel comfortable with my decision by giving some advice.
To Unsure Jane,  My opinion would be to wait another week or 2 if mentally you can. Wait to see if the blood levels go down and or see if anything different shows up on the sonogram. That is what I did. I was not giving up that easy and the doctors understood completely. Like I stated it wasn't until my levels dropped that I was convinced this pregnancy was not going to progress. I had the d&c on Tuesday and am looking forward to trying again.  It has made closure a bit easier and mentally I am better. Good luck and keep me posted My fingers are crossed for you!!!!!!!!If you want to e-mail me it is ***@****
I have a friend who is 5-6 weeks pregnant. She went for an u/s a few days ago. Her doctor told her over the phone that there was no heart beat and she should immediately come in for a d+c. She was very upset as the doctor never discussed with her how far along she was or the possibility of an error and to wait awhile for another u/s. He didnt take a blood test to check her HCG as well. He was pretty adamant and pushy for her to come in and get a d+c for the next day without waiting. This is her first pregnancy and she is very emotional and confused. She refused to go in and made another appointment for an u/s. In the case that there is no heart beat again should she wait for another week or two for another u/s, or should she just wait to have a natural m/c? How often is a "no heart beat" mis- diagnosed? I just read on a website, a women who didnt get a heart beat detected until she was 12 weeks. If anyone has any info or experiences please give us a few lines with any info on this. Thank you for your kind support.
I have a friend who is 5-6 weeks pregnant. She went for an u/s a few days ago. Her doctor told her over the phone that there was no heart beat and she should immediately come in for a d+c. She was very upset as the doctor never discussed with her how far along she was or the possibility of an error and to wait awhile for another u/s. He didnt take a blood test to check her hormone levels as well. He was pretty adament and pushy for her to come in and get a d+c for the next day without waiting. This is her first pregnancy and she is very emotional and confused. She refused to go in and made another appoitment for an u/s. In the case that there is no heart beat again should she wait for another week or two for another u/s, or should she just wait to have a natural m/c. How often is a "no heart beat" mis diagnosed. I just read on a website of a women who didnt get a heart beat detected until she was 12 weeks. If anyone has any info or experiences please give us a few lines with any info on this. Thank you for your kind support.
Need someones opinion. I just went in for an ultrasound today and I'm not sure if it's exactly bad news or I'm jumping the gun. According to LMP I should be 7w3d, however I know I ovulated on day 16 or 17 instead of day 14. Anyway the lady did the u/s....very quickly might I add. and she saw no heart beat and the baby measured in the 6th week. Could it just be to early, I go back on 3dec for another. Does it normally take a few minuted to detect the heart beat, she did both a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound in under five minutes. Is that a little quick??

S
My LMP was 10/7/03.  On 11/14 I took an hpt which was positive.  The OB office wouldn't schedule me an appointment until 12/12, "so I'd be farther along".  I tried repeatedly to get to talk to the nurse and/or the doctor regarding my htn, finally getting a med change.  Saw my family doctor on 11/19, and he thankfully sent me for some labs, including a serum hcg, and told me "no meds", lets just watch to see how my bp manages with diet.  While AT the lab, when providing a urine speciman, I saw I had bled.  More than spotting, less than a period, it lasted about 8 hours.  No cramps whatsoever.  I called the OB from the car and had to leave a message.  They got ahold of me and sent me back to the lab for a progesterone level.  The results of both of these, I found out the next day, was:  HCG= 4084, and Progesterone= 11.1 .  This lab's reference values "start" at 11.2 for first trimester progesterone.  I had no more bleeding until overnight on the 20th into the 21st.  Went back for another quant. hcg (not quite 48 hours), and the results had climbed only to 5329.  I told them I had had another episode of "heavy spotting, still with no cramps", lasting about 5 hrs.  They had me in for a transvaginal u/s that afternoon, and the tech, while seemingly sympathetic, was in a rush.  She just clicked away at the measurements of the fetal pole, the sac, whatever else was there, barely taking a breath to explain to me what was where, and offhandedly said there was no heartbeat.  She did make clear that 'there it is, at the cervix', and before my husband or I could formulate a thought to even ask questions, she was out of the room, and had an oncall physician pop in to tell us we should probably start to expell it by the weekend.  They made me a f/u appt for 12/8.  Here it is Tuesday, 4days after the sono, and nothing more has happened, no spotting, no cramps, and I am full of questions.  I called the OB office again, getting the message center, and the nurse called back to schedule me for an exam (finally!) and a repeat sono, on 12/2.  (I am assuming the holiday weekend is not a good time to be bothered).  I am *this* close to trotting my butt to the ER just to get some answers.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, I am hoping beyond belief that they were wrong, that maybe my dates are a week or so off (I am highly irregular), and it was just too soon to see the heartbeat.  If the fetus had detached and was just laying there 'at the cervix', wouldn't i have started the miscarriage process by now?  If it is that rare cervical ectopic pregnancy, wouldn't there be some pain involved?  I must note that I have PCO and have been unable to conceive for like 13 years of trying.  Besides having unprotected sex, we did the clomid bit off and on for years, never venturing to more progressive means, due to time and cost issues.  My hubby and I figured if it's going to happen, it will.  And it did!  Somebody please give me some hope that maybe when I go back next week I just MIGHT get some good news??  I'm very sorry to those of you I read about with similar situations, and you did not have good news.  I fear I will meet the same fate, and if it is for the best, so be it.  God bless all of you.
Are you ok?
Good Morning Everyone, I need to some serious advice..My l.m.p. was on 10/12/03. I am currently 7w5d pregnant and went for an ultrasound yesterday and was told they couldn't detect a heartbeat, moreover, she said the fetus was extremely small. Please shed some light on a first time mom..
Thanks!
Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, no, it wasn't viable.  The OB did a modified d & c type procedure on 12/2.  After I wrote initially, I had more episodes of extreme bleeding, clotting and cramping, at one point having contraction-like pains.  Even with all that, the fetus and sac was still hanging around, right at the cervix, so he went ahead and got it out.  I'm relieved now, and one the finality of it set in I am able to accept it.  I got to see it which was a big help, made more sense to me I guess.  So sorry to all of you had similar experiences.  Words just can't quite describe it.  Take care and good luck to each of you.
Wow this is the first time I have ever tried to explore why i have had no heartbeat the last three pregnancies. I did not realize that there were so  many women who have expierenced the same. I have often thought what if the u/s machine was broken, what if i should have waited a couple more weeks to see if the heart would beat?? What ifs what ifs what ifs!! My first loss I was 4 months and had to go through labor, the 2nd time i was 8 weeks along and the 3rd I was just under 8 weeks. Well now im pregnant again and i am praying day in and day out that the lord will bless me with this baby.  I do have 5 children already and have set my mind on 6 so im excited and very scared at the same time. I don't have my first appt until next week and thats not even the ultrasound its just the initial visit. After this visit the Dr. will be ordering a ultrasound and i am very scared. I wanted to ask some of you that have gone through this have you ever been given some kind of explanation as to why this happens? I have been reading quite a bit about HCG levels possible placenta problems, gosh you name it I've read about it. I would love to hear about any answers anyone has gotten and ill be sure to keep you all posted on my journey. If anyone has any reccomendations suggestions please IM LISTENING!!!
Hi im not pregnant myself but my sister found out that she was expecting. She went for her first u/s last wednesday as they thought she was going to be having twins as she ovulated twice in one month of trying. Unfortunately they said that there was no heartbeat. The midwife said that the child was a good size for 11 weeks (how far gone she was told she is from her first ovulation) but after finding out that her baby had no heartbeat they said the size was that of an 8 week old foetus?? To me that doesn't really make any sense at all. She is going for another u/s tomorrow to have a final check and if the news is still the same she has said she wants a natural m/c as her friend was told she was having a miscarriage and her son is now 6 years old. To me I hope that she is ok and that the baby is fine as I believe that child that was concieved is infact the second egg that was ovulated which would then make more sense with the size. I just wanted to ask for any advice really because this is her first child and she is only 22. What age would a heart beat be detected and what things would prevent finding it?  I will keep you all informed with how tomorrow goes but please any advice on what to do??
my doctor did a hcg level on me when i first found out and it was 1300 well i went back in 2 days and he said it went down to 800 then i went back on wednesday and he said it droped to 400 but im not hurting or any bleeding i feel fine and he told me that i was having a misscarrage and i dont think i am .but i found out i was pregant on the JUNE 18 and my period was on may 28 thru june 8 so i dont think something is right b/c i wouldnt be but 2 weeks when i found out . but he said he didnt see anything in my utrues when he did a vaginal u/s he said it was normal so what would yall do ??
Sadly my sister has miscarried found out about half an hour ago. The sac has collapsed and if she hasnt naturally done it by sunday she has got to take the pill to make it happen!! I think she is alright though.... just closure now.
One thing she has said is that she will not use any contraception at all soo if it happens again and she falls pregnant then its meant to be. Hopefully everything is ok with everyone.
I AM 17 AND I JUST FOUND OUT I AM PREGNANT I WENT FOR MY 1ST ALTRASOUND THIS WEEK AND I AM 6 WEEKS BUT WE COULDNT HEAR MY BABYS HEART BEAT I AM REALLY SCARED I HOPE AND PRY IN 2 WEEKS ON MY NEXT ALTRASOUND EVERYTHING GOES BETTER
I would like to pray for all the ladies, that are going through this, I am going through the same thing at the moment, I am 6 weeks pregnant, and no heartbeat, my next U/S is on Monday, So, I am keeping my fingers crossed!!
hi everyone i have been amazed by the kindness and sincerity of every one on here. I also went for an ultrasound on Nov.2 and was given an ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound and the doctor informed me i was about 6 weeks, but there was no heart beat.... i have been so worried about my baby i pray every day that everything will be okay. and i'm so sorry for all of you ladies who lost your babies. I am so sorry...

- Hope && Pray
I am pregnant and thought I was 8 wks and 2 days, Had first U/S today and saw a slight flicker, but no HB detected. I had 2 periods in Nov, so I am cautiously optimistic that maybe I am off and am actually 6 wks 6 days instead. I just had a MC in Oct, and I am hoping that I am not headed down the same road. Any advice is welcome....