no heartbeat heard at first midwife appoinment
is it normal not to her the heartbeat at 12 weeks pregnant?
It is normal.  Depend on what equpiment they used whether babyheart beat doppler or vigina ultrasound. U/S pick up at 12 weeks, but babyheart beat doppler may not.
i wouldn't worry, i didn't hear a heart beat with my first baby until 14 weeks.  *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~baby dust*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Yeah, it really depends on the doppler.  I heard mine at 9 weeks through a doppler and saw the heartbeat at 6 weeks 5 days through u/s.
I couldnt hear the heartbeat at 14 weeks with the doppler and now at 16 weeks we had a hard time finding it.  The Dr said the baby is growing and is normal size...but we did ultrasounds both times and everything is fine.  My Dr said that before 14 weeks theres like a 50-50 chance of hearing the heartbeat.  Ask for an ultrasound if you want to be reassured.
Did they do an ultrasound?
Yeah, if the heartbeat is seeen on u/s it doesn't really matter if the doppler picks up.  It's really more reassurance in between u/s for me.  Some of those weaker doppler can't even pick up the heartbeat at 20 weeks.  If you're really concern, you should ask the doctor if not hearing the heartbeat by 12th week is typical.
thank you all for responding it has put my mind at rest, i am waiting to have my first scan as ive only recently found out i was pregnant,when i was at the midwife yesterday that was my first appointment and i was thrilled that she was going to let me hear a heartbeat but then she couldnt find it.
From what I understand it's pretty normal.  I'm going to see my midiwfe next week and I'll be 12.5 weeks.  She said we will listen for the HB, but I am already nervous that we won't be able to hear it.  I think it's normak for you to be concerned, but it probably does not mean anythig is wrong.
i went to the doctor today and i am 12 weeks and they didn't find the heartbeat with the doppler or the ultrasound so i have to go to the hospital tomorrow and have another ultrasound done but the doctor couldn't even tell what the different parts of the baby were when she did it
When you get the ultrasound done at the doc, make sure its a transvaginal u/s, those are more accurate and work better than the abdominal ones in early pregnancy.