Maternal & Child Community
no heartbeat heard at first midwife appoinment
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

no heartbeat heard at first midwife appoinment

is it normal not to her the heartbeat at 12 weeks pregnant?
Related Discussions
10 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It is normal.  Depend on what equpiment they used whether babyheart beat doppler or vigina (vagina) ultrasound. U/S pick up at 12 weeks, but babyheart beat doppler may not.
Blank
i wouldn't worry, i didn't hear a heart beat with my first baby until 14 weeks.  *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~baby dust*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Blank
Yeah, it really depends on the doppler.  I heard mine at 9 weeks through a doppler and saw the heartbeat at 6 weeks 5 days through u/s.
Blank
I couldnt hear the heartbeat at 14 weeks with the doppler and now at 16 weeks we had a hard time finding it.  The Dr said the baby is growing and is normal size...but we did ultrasounds both times and everything is fine.  My Dr said that before 14 weeks theres like a 50-50 chance of hearing the heartbeat.  Ask for an ultrasound if you want to be reassured.
Blank
Yeah, if the heartbeat is seeen on u/s it doesn't really matter if the doppler picks up.  It's really more reassurance in between u/s for me.  Some of those weaker doppler can't even pick up the heartbeat at 20 weeks.  If you're really concern, you should ask the doctor if not hearing the heartbeat by 12th week is typical.
Blank
Did they do an ultrasound?
Blank
thank you all for responding it has put my mind at rest, i am waiting to have my first scan as ive only recently found out i was pregnant,when i was at the midwife yesterday that was my first appointment and i was thrilled that she was going to let me hear a heartbeat but then she couldnt find it.
Blank
From what I understand it's pretty normal.  I'm going to see my midiwfe next week and I'll be 12.5 weeks.  She said we will listen for the HB, but I am already nervous that we won't be able to hear it.  I think it's normak for you to be concerned, but it probably does not mean anythig is wrong.
Blank
i went to the doctor today and i am 12 weeks and they didn't find the heartbeat with the doppler or the ultrasound so i have to go to the hospital tomorrow and have another ultrasound done but the doctor couldn't even tell what the different parts of the baby were when she did it
Blank
175662_tn?1282217256
When you get the ultrasound done at the doc, make sure its a transvaginal u/s, those are more accurate and work better than the abdominal ones in early pregnancy.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...