Maternal & Child Community
no heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

no heartbeat

Went for a second scan to confim no heart beat in baby. I am 9 weeks, baby measured at 9 weeks. I do not understand how it is possible for the baby to measure correctly but there is no heartbeat. I am schedule for a d & c Monday... but i am questioning it, should i do this, is there a chance the baby is ok, what is wrong with me. :(
So Sad :(  Nothing is wrong with you, there must have been something wrong with the little peanut. At that stage of life, they usually will not continue on if there is a chromosomal problem. Just a fluke of nature. I know it doesn't make it any easier. Sorry...
You don't have to have a D&C until you are ready.  Certainly you don't need to have one until you have had another ultrasound.  When I lost my twins (their hearts also stopped at 9-plus weeks) I had seen the hearts beating only three days earlier (due to a change of doctors, I had two ultrasounds in quick succession).  It was so unbelievable that I had another ultrasound after the one in which I got the bad news, just because I wanted to never second-guess the situation later.  You have every right to ask for another ultrasound, not that it will change things but that you need to know in your heart that it is true.
i have accepted the fact that i lost the baby, dont understand why tho but who am i to question it.. my only issue is i am still having a lot of symptoms my lower back is killing me.. seriously.. my boobs are still swelling.. and so tender.. i have cravings so bad and im so fatigue.. when will these go away, if i lost the baby
I am sorry to hear you are going throught this. The same happened to me in August of 2010. My first pregnacy, lost it at 8 weeks. Only 2 days before baby was ok at my OB/Gyn app. and 2 days later at my high risk pregnacy specialist (hyperthirodism and graves disease) baby's heart was no longer there. I had a D&C done on August 27, 2010. Sadest day of my entire life. Felt confused, sad, couldn't believe it. But i saw the baby in the monitor, it was no longer moving and heart was no longer jumping. IT was comfirmed by my OB/gyn who I ran to after my specialist appt. He explained it was a chromosomal problem, and it happens to a lot of woman. Baby stops growing usually at 8-9 weeks. It is the body's normal response to auto-abort the baby if it comes with problems. After it happened to me, i found out most of my family and friends had gone throught it. Also, searching online I found out it a lot more common that what I believed.

Still I never thought i could happen to me, my first pregnancy I had put so much hope into. I cried for weeks after my D&C. After it, I got a lot more obssesed with getting pregnant, and learned a whole lots of way of taking control of my fertility, and now I just found out I am 4 weeks pregnant again. Only sac and fluid shows in the ultrasound, internet and doctors say it is normal for the baby not to show until after the 6 weeks. Still I cant help not to worry, actually I think I would not stop worrying until I give birth. Miscarreage is an experience I am never going to forget, and I know that from now on, I will pass all my pregnacies worrying (even thought I dont want to cause I know is bad for the baby) this time I am trying Hypnobabies to help me relax. It seem to be working, but I still worry a little bit, just not as much as I normally would.

I really wish you good luck, i know there are no words that will make you feel better right now, at least no words helped me. All you can do is have faith, and know that everything happens for a reason, the doctor explained to me that what is not normal, is for your body to ignore the fact that the baby comes with problem and end up having a baby with abnormalities and problems like for example down syndrome.

Good luck and I am sorry for your loss! :/
I'm sorry. Even though the baby has passed your body has yet to realize it, and it's even possible to experience a missed miscarriage where your body never does. Your symptoms won't go away till the hormone drops completely. Even though baby has passed you still have the hormones in your body causing them. This might last for a few days (or week or so) after you have passed all the tissue or had it removed.
hello

i had a miscarriage and a d&C in october 2010. i had felt all my symptoms go away at least a week before i started spotting. i thought being that i was 9 weeks that maybe i was getting over the beginning symptoms but then i started spotting. my baby only measured 7 weeks and no heartbeat. if you're not sure i would advise definitely ask for another ultrasound. i had two on the second it showed what was my baby breaking into pieces for lack of better wording after that i felt ok having the d&C. everyones different. i know i still start to think what if i made the wrong choice, then i have the ultrasound photo to prove to myself that there wasn't any other choice. hope this helps
I have not had any bleeding yet.. all i have is back aches and sore boobs.. but they say heart is not beating.. i so do not understand.. it has been a week now if the baby has died why would my body not dispose of it like it did lasst time??Anyones opinion
Not in all cases. This is what a missed miscarriage is. My dads girlfriend carried her child after it had passed for 10 weeks without knowing she lost it. (she was on vacation and missed a few appointments) She never lost symptoms and said nothing indicated the baby died. This can also be dangerous though because you risk infection setting in which can cause future fertility issues. It might take you weeks before your body realizes the child has passed before you expell the tissue. You can choose to wait (some women prefer this) or you can opt for a d&c. Many women like this just because it gets the process over with sooner and allows them to try again sooner. With a d&c you need to allow your uterus time to heal before you conceive again (normally three cycles) whereas with a natural passing you can try again immediately.
clysta  waiting to conceive after an D&C depends on the doctor, my doctor told me I could try right away. According to what I have researched, the doctors just tell you to wait because they know the time of pregnancy as for the date of your last period, so they advise you to wait 3 cycles to make sure your cycles are normal before you get prengant again. I didnt have to wait, but I got pregnant after 4 cycles of my D&C. They say the body just know when we are ready again. But is ok to get pregnant right away after an D&C. I know women who get pregnant the next cycle after a D&C and they have no problems with their pregnancies.
doodles669 you may not have symptoms with a miscarriage, it happened to me. You may not bleed, feel pain or anything, but your HCG levels will decrease. Here is a link for you to get more info

http://miscarriage.about.com/od/amimiscarrying/f/missedmisc.htm

Hope it helps.
It can indeed be fine, BUT if you don't allow time it's possible you will miscarry again as the lining is too thin. Waiting allows this to rebuild so there is enough to support a pregnancy. The last thing a women wants to go through is a second miscarriage because they wanted to start right away instead of just waiting a little. It's really just to each their own.
Thank you all, i had my d&c done this past monday.. I plan on waiting a while before i even thank about trying again. My body for some reason keeps rejecting babies so i just do not want to do it anymore right now.. This has been the 3 rd d&c and i am just done with the heart ache and pain..I really want another baby, but for some reason it is just not ment to be right now and i understand that.