Maternal & Child Community
no tummy time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

no tummy time?

I am not sure if any of you remember me from the pregnancy forum. I had 2 mcs back to back and then got pregnant right away again after the 2 mcs.  Well here is a update on me since I have not been on here in a long time. Well I had a extreamly hard pregnancy tuns of preturm labor and was on pills to keep me pregnant and in and out of the hospital. 11 weeks ago at 36 weeks a healthy 6 pounds 9 ounces 20 1/4 inches long baby boy was born. I named him Leaim Job. He is so perfect such a happy baby nurses great sleeps at night great. But here is what I realy need advise on. He doesn't like tummy time at all. He loves to play on his back but hates tummy time. I don't give him tummy time much because of it. When I do he just roots at the play mat. Like he is looking to breast feed. Some times he spits up and then has vomit all over his face but he gets so upset on his tummy. I never had this problem with my daughters. He is a few days over 11 weeks and I am just wondering how bad is it that he hardly gets tummy time because he dislikes it for long periods of time. He gets tummy time for about 3 min aday if im lucky. any advice PLEASE thank you!!

~Davina~
i think persevere with it, he will get used to it the more you do it, can he hold his head up now? if so try putting a cushion under him to lift him a little and sit in front of him so he can see you and play with him, or try lying him on the sofa or bed so his body is width ways on the sofa and his head can kinda hang over the edge, stay with him obviously but he will be higher up then and may stay on his tummy longer, i started tummy time with my dd when she was 8 weeks she hated it and i never really carried it on, but with my ds i started it at 12 weeks, he hated it for about 2months but after that quite enjoyed being on his tummy. good luck!
my son hates it too. I was told by his doctor to just keep trying and if it's only for 1 minute at a time, that's ok. Just keep trying. My son has acid reflux so it's not the most comfortable thing for him. You can even try laying him across your lap, it's a little more comfy and then he's close to mom. Hang in there, it will get better.
My 1st little guy was not a tummy time oerson when he was real young either--but I would use the boppy to prop him up a little bit and then he would be fine--I would put him down for like five minutes at a time and seemed to help.
my son hated tummy time also. he would scream and get so worked up. i still tried it a couple times a day though, it was only a minute ot two here and there. just stick with it. not every baby likes it, but it is important to do. do you have one of the play mats with the overhanging toys? sometimes those have cute things on them for tummy time like mirrors and different shapes for them to look at.
Yeah I have the kick and crawl barn. The mat has all sorts of shapes and cool colors. He loves to play with the stuff hanging from it and I also put his Classical Chorus Gym above him and he plays wiht that too. but when it comes to laying him on his tummy lol his face just bobs around on the play mat part looking for boob lol and then the slober builds up and it get cold and wet and then he starts to fuss and i lay down there with him and talk to him and touch him on his back and hold toys. I even have tried to turn his head so he wasnt face down but still he just bobs for boobs lol
I have a boppy too. When he was first born I use to use the boppy for tummy time. But i wasnt sure if it was still considerd tummy time if he was on the boddy. I am planning on trying it again though since it has been sugested. Thank you guys for the help keep it comming all these ideas have been so helpful!!!

~Davina~