Maternal & Child Community
normal infant feeding habits

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

normal infant feeding habits

ok, so many of you have been very helpful with my breastfeeding, bottle feeding problems the past 2 months, and i have been convinced to pursue my dd's feeding issues with the pediatrician next week. i have looked into pediatric dysphagia, and it does sound like my dd. so this weekend, we're taking careful notes about her feeding patterns. that way when i go to the dr, i can give specific examples of how she feeds, how much, when, problems, etc... the only thing is, since she's my first, i don't know what's normal and what's not. so if you could help me out with that, i'd appreciate it.
questions-

baby feeds differently when alert than when sleeping. She feeds smoothly while sleeping, and has difficulty when alert. normal?

often, if she starts out feeding alert, she'll zone out or fall asleep. after zoning out or falling asleep, she eats much better. normal?

at times will take over an hour to take 3 ounces. normal?

the only bottle she doesn't dribble with is the gerber nuk. when using avent, playtex, etc... she would literally soak a burp cloth with each feed. i assumed this was normal until i saw how she takes the nuk. i suspect she does well with the nook becuase the holes are on top so she has better control of flow. also, she would often choke on the other bottles. normal?
How often is she eating?
she was feeding 2 to 2 1/2 hrs until a week or 2 ago when she started smaller feeds more frequently. then this past week was a nightmare cause she felt icky after shots- i would sneak in bottles every 2 hrs while she slept. she woke up her normal, happy self yesterday and is back to 2-3 hrs apart. when happy and healthy, she'll take 3-4 oz. although she likes to take 2, rest for about a half hour to an hour, and then take another ounce or two.
It's possible that she is not very hungry when she is offered the formula. That could be why she drinks it while sleeping bc she's sort of fighting it, so to speak. A formula fed baby (although I can't remember if you are pumping breast milk or not) should go approximately every 3-4 hours. If there isn't any structural abnormalities in her mouth/swallowing, then she may just be late in the development of the suck/swallow. If she's doing well on the nuk, I'd leave her on it. They are slower since the hole is in the top of the mouth. It is also possible that the shots and/or a growth spurt has interrupted her normal activities. Best wishes and keep us updated on the dr appt.
she's definitely very hungry when we feed her. we have tried stalling her with a pacifier, distracting her, etc... and she just gets very pissed. it is expressed breast milk she's drinking. at first we thought it was just a delay in development of suck/swallow, but i am now suspecting it's more than that. after the first few weeks in her life, there was some improvement, but it seems to have stalled, and additional difficulties are becoming more apparent as she gets older. thank you for your response. and the shots definitely interrupted her normal activities but i think it just emphasized/ made more evident her underlying problems.

My son does best on the Nuk nipples.  I think that is normal.