Maternal & Child Community
nuchal thickness
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

nuchal thickness

Hi
I just had a level II U/S.  I am 35 years old.  The nuchal measured at 3 mm.   The tech said that was w/in normal range, but the dr. said it was high.  Any input on this?  I am 12 wks and they said it was to soon for any other markers to be seen. We still are on the fence about an amnio. It seems like every other tests just gives you maybes, but an amnio gives answers.  I am very nervous, but trying to stay postive.  Would love to hear your stories, good or bad.

Thanks,
Rachel
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
wasn't actually even sure what a nuchal was so i did a search and found this.
What do the results mean?
You'll be given your results in the form of a ratio that expresses your baby's chances for having a chromosomal problem (based on your age, his age, and his nuchal fold measurement). For example, if you're going to be 35 when you deliver, you probably already know that your baby's average risk for Down syndrome is 1 in 270. (This risk gets higher as you get older.) That means that one in every 270 babies born to women at age 35 will have DS. (One way to think about what this means is to picture yourself in a room with 270 other 35-year-old pregnant women
Blank
I know you are debating over the amnio, but I have to tell you how glad I am that I did it. It was very quick and I got the preliminary results in 2 days. I had it done Wednesday at 8:00am and the doc called Friday at 4:30pm to tell me that it's 99.9% that everything is normal. It has been such a relief and I think that would be so helpful to you at this time. Like you said, the amnio is the only test that will tell you for sure. Good luck to you.
Debra
Blank
hi i am also 12 weeks pregnant, i had my scan yesterday and also have a nushal of 3mm. i am 29 and really worried. i have 2 other children that are fine. im just waiting for my blood test result to see if i am at high risk or not, so i know how u feel it is so scary.....
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...