Maternal & Child Community
numbness in left leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

numbness in left leg

I have had shooting pain in my left leg when I sleep. It's on the side of my leg above my knee.I asked my dr and he said it was not my siatic (sciatic) nerve and didn't really know what it was. Now the shooting pain has turned to numbness. it's about 7 inches long. The numbness is with me all day.  should I be concerned about this?
I have sciatic nerve problems that cause my leg to 'fall asleep' as well.  I have had it for years.  Yes, left leg.
I have had numbness on my left thigh since I was around 16 weeks pregnant. I am currently 33 weeks and the numbness area is getting much bigger. At beginning, it was just about my palm size, now it covers almost from my knee to my hip! My doctor told me it is because the growing baby is pressing on a nerve passing through my pelvic. It is not sciatic nerve, she mentioned the name, but did not register in my mind at all. According to my doctor, it is quiet common in pregnant women, it should go away after the baby is born. She said she will refer me to a chiropractor if it is unbearable. I found out sitting for a long time makes it worse, mild exercise like walking helps. How far along are you?
I had numbness on the left side of my left foot that has not gone away???!!! I would also have numbness and tingling sensations in my arms and legs...the nurse said it was circulation problems and was common in pregnancy ( I also had high bp)...I  had carpul tunnel in my left hand that disappeared after the baby was born.
My right leg from the knee up goes numb everytime I walk.  I have no pain at all but my right arm tingles too.  I went to my doctor and she told me I need to see a neurologist because this isn't normal.  I am 18w.  I don't see one until the middle of april so i guess if its serious I'm in big trouble.   Since you have pain it may be different
sorry, forgot to mention I'm 30 weeks.
Thanks for your comments. It helps to know that other women have this and it's not serious. I'm going to check with my doctor jut because it has grown from palm size to covering almost the whole side of my upper leg.
Thanks again!!
i hope this helps...the name i was told was "pelvic girdle pain"
here is a link with info about pgp
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/pelvicgirdlepain/

here are the symptoms:

The pain is often one sided and may be concentrated in the buttock area. It may appear to jump from side to side or be accompanied by a general back pain or Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD). It can send shooting pains into your buttocks or down the back of your legs. If the pain is accompanied by pins and needles or numbness and extends further than your knee, it may be sciatica rather than PGP. You may also have pain in your hips. One or both of your legs may feel very weak and you may not be able to lift your legs, particularly when lying down.

i hope this info helps...
I have the same problem and my doctor told me there wasn't much that he could do.  He suggested getting a pair of nurses tennis shoes that have the spring on the heel.  He said that the spring would absorb some of the pressure.  My right leg above my knee on the outside hurts so bad where that it goes numb then it turns into a burning sensation.  I thought it was in my head but after I started reading some of the post I didn't realize how common the numbness was in pregnant women.  Hope everyone's legs will be okay for the remander of ya'lls pregnancies.