Maternal & Child Community
nuts during pregnancy!..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

nuts during pregnancy!..

hi,i am 32weeks pregnant and over christmas have eaten nuts.i have heard they should be avoided during pregnancy,and then on the other hand iv heard they contain lots of protein which is valueable during pregnancy!hum....which do we take notice of????
thank you
Found this for you:

"Question:   Is it safe to eat peanuts during pregnancy?
BabyCentre Editorial Team:   The UK government recommends that certain women avoid eating peanuts while they are pregnant. You are advised to avoid peanuts if you, your baby's father baby, or one of your previous children has had an allergic reaction to something. Allergic conditions include:

Well, I have gestational diabetes, and was advised to eat peanut butter for a protein.  I have been eating lots of nuts since I have to avoid many snack foods.  This is a bit alarming.

I, too, was told to eat nuts and peanut butter after being Dx with GD.  What disturbs me is that what Christie posted states that we should avoid especially peanuts if any of us (immediate family) have been allergic to anything.  Does this mean that if we do eat peanuts that we put our unborn babies at risk for developing this horrible allergy?  It's bad enough that they are already at a higher risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes.  

Legume allergies are even more severe than other anaphalactic reactions and result in death often.  One of the problems with this particular allergy is that many foods are made with and cooked in peanut oil which can produce the same results.  Sometimes even asking at a restaurant doesn't yield the answers necessary to save your life.  So be hyper-vigilant about knowing what you are eating.

Thank you, Christie.  I would never have even been aware of this if not for your information.

Regards,
Shelly
My high risk ob told me to eat lots of nuts, especially raw.  He mentioned almonds, and walnuts specifically for their omega-3-fatty acid content.  He didn't mention anything about peanuts, however.
Hi everyone,
I am 6 weeks pregnant and its my first baby, I am so scared but I'm not throwing up yet.  When do you start throwing up?  I hope not soon.  When do you start showing?  I'm already getting cravings like "strawberry ice cream".  I am not looking forward in all that morning sickness.  Are any of you taking any medications for morning sickness?  

It certainly isn't a common warning.  I had to do a bit of internet searching to find that.  

I, too, had never heard of it.  The only thing that is certain is that peanut allergies are on the rise.  I have no idea if this arose as a result of a cautious guess as to the cause, or as a result of someones research.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it can't hurt to limit exposure if your family is one with a lot of allergies or eczema.
Congrats on your pregnancy!  To answer your question as thoroughly as I can.... Just because "morning sickness" pretty much goes hand in hand during the first few months of pregnancy, it doesn't mean it has to happen.  My son is now 5, but when I was pregnant with him, I NEVER threw up, not a single time.  I was pretty happy because like you, I was not in to the whole morning sickness thing... Hope you skip out on it just as I did... and Best of luck.
LeAnne
Hi Me & my hubby is planning the baby. 6 months back i miscarried in about 4 weeks of pregnancy . i wanted to if i can eat dry fruits like pista, cashewnuts & almonds & dry grapes during the pregnancy. also i have heard from many people that dry fruits shud be avoided during pregnancy as hey are hot for body.
please reply.
I was told the opposite. That avoiding nuts, peanut butter, etc, during pregnancy can cause the allergies a few years down the road. I was told that the fats in nuts are super healthy, especially for developing brains, and are an excellent choice for a snack. I was also told that blueberries, legumes, yogurt, and low sugar orange juice should also be frequent in my diet while pregnant.