Maternal & Child Community
one twin dies/2 possible fathers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

one twin dies/2 possible fathers

I have a friend whos ex girlfriend was pregnant with twins. Now she cheated on him quite a few times and was possible that each twin had a different father. This is because when she had the amniocentesus it showed the babies was his. WEll one of the twins misscarried half way through the pregnancy. The other twin injested (absorbed) a lot of the fluid from the misscarried twin.now there was another genetic test done and it said that the live child was not his. and then it showed that it was not the other mens child either. Now the mother wants to do a DNA test to prove that my friend is the father and he is not sure if the test result will be accurate because of the live child absorbing the other twins fluid. Could this be a climara  possability? It is very difficult to know and if the state is willing to go the distance to try to find out.
I don't think there could be 2 different fathers. Were they fraternal or identical?
i guess if they're fraternal it might be possible. but i think she'd have to have sex with 2 different men in a relatively close time. like one right after the other. and that's only if the first mans sperm didn't get to both eggs. but i don't know if that has ever happened. i would venture to say unless they tested the first child after the miscarriage then to assume they have the same father. i mean it is HIGHLY unlikely they have 2 seperate dads.  if they're identical....no there is no way there are 2 fathers.
It is very rare for that to happen (two fathers) but it does happen. What a shame that they have to go through this....
These are questions your friend may need to get from the doctor since this isn't a typical situation.
She did have sex with the men within a day I do know that. And I know how rare it can be but the children were believed to be fraternal although they could not be absoltly sure since the other baby was lost. But the problem they are having is that the live baby absorbed all of the fluid from the other baby. And the DNA tests have come back 3 different times with different results. And if the courts are involeved and the baby is almost a year old that they are not willing to go that extra mile. And also it is money that my Friend just doesnt have either. I am just trying to find out if it is possible for the baby to still have the other babies DNA also. Also if the other baby did not survive because thier blood types etc did not match and the stronger baby survived because of this?
#1 her doctor would know if they were identical or fraternal by the first u/s when they discovered the twins. They either shared a sac or they didn't. I would start there. If they shared a sac, they were identical and both babies were from the same father.
I don't know where you're getting your info, from the mom or what, but I would be pretty suspicious if she had papers saying 3 different DNA's.
The baby doesn't have the DNA of two different dads. Is the baby born yet or are these tests being done with the baby still in the whom?
Chimeras can arise when developing fraternal twins share a blood supply. This happens when the twins (who have different DNA) share a placenta and cells from their blood mix. The twins will be chimeras only in terms of their blood since other cells in the body are not affected by the blood supply.  So the DNA tests could have come back differant.  My cousin had twins with differant fathers, they were not chimeras though.  Any DNA test that takes saliva or hair should come back the same.  These conditions are very rare, to have twins with differant fathers, then for there DNA to mix, making them chimeras.  Chances are very slim...but it can happen.
I have read that it is possible for a mother to have her son's DNA in her blood as long as a year or more after he is born, but this is just an offshoot of their link in the womb, it is not a permanent situation.  I thought a chimera was when one baby merges with the other entirely and very early in the womb, not absorbs the other's fluids later on after the babies are both separate and complete in development.  They are doing work on microchimeras at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, it might be worth looking them up and finding out who is doing it, and calling with your questions.  It sounds like the baby is not a chimera, though...by the time they are developed enough to be seen as two separate bodies, they are past the point where they would merge and become a chimera.  The differing DNA tests could have been a situation similar to where the mom is still carrying the child's DNA in her blood; were all the DNA tests blood tests?
thank you for all the information. Yeah the mother is very wishy washy (as they say) in how the testing is done etc etc. SO it does make it difficult to know exactly what to believe etc that is why I am trying to find out this information now in case it is needed in the future. But they did share a blood supply and it is very unsure since the baby is not yet a year and is still bloated from the trauma of the other babay dying inuterero and from absorbing the dead babies fluid while it was in the womb. but it is definate thta the babies were fraternal that is one thing we know for sure. They are just not sure if the other baby died because it was weak or the blood types did not match etc etc. She is not employed and is on state aid so the testing was very little I know that for sure. Which is unfortunate because it would have been more helpful if they had done the testing at the time instead of having to go through all of these different DNA testings etc.
I don't think there was any definitive testing to do at the time.  Best bet is to do DNA testing later, after all the trauma has passed.  Good luck to her and the baby.
Yeah, I think she shouldn't really worry about paternity right now.  She can do a dna test after the baby is born to find out who the father is.  All of that testing is invasive and really unnecessary if it's just to prove paternity.  Hope the other baby makes it through ok.