Maternal & Child Community
open cervix, maybe in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

open cervix, maybe in early pregnancy

I'm quite worried at the moment, just googled open cervix and early pregnancy, and it said it would probably lead to a miscarriage.

I am currently on cd31, not sure when AF is supposed to arrive, think I may be pregnant, getting quite a lot of symptoms, such as nausea, bloating, funny cramps etc.  

But, I have noticed the last few days that my cervix is high and open.  Has anyone had this and taken baby to full term?

I had a m/c a year ago, and don't want another.  If anyone can shed some light, please do.

Just a little curious.....how do you know if your cervix is open??  ive been hearing alot of women talking about that lately??  Ive been having alot of problems with my pregnancy...4 u/s's so far and they have not checked my cervix.  Im 10 weeks along.  Would an ultrasound show an open or closed cervix in an u/s?  I hope you dont mind me asking you a question.  I just dont know the answer.
I don't think you can really tell yourself if your cervix is open.  I have cervical prolapse from my first pregnancy and during different times of my cycle I can actually feel it and sometimes it drops out of my body.  Very gross I know!  Anyway, I was worried this pregnancy because I had a miscarriage or chemical pregnancy in June and was concerned it was because my cervix was low....When I am able to feel it it always felt very open to me.  Well, after getting pregnant this time (now 18 weeks) I told my concerns to my doctor and the base part that I was feeling that I thought was open isn't actually your cervix being open.  Most people have a fairly long cervix, longer than you would be able to feel with your fingers.  I had an ultrasound and found that I do have a normal, long cervix and it is closed.  

When I was waiting for my positive pregnancy test this time around, I thought for sure I wasn't pregnant because my cervix felt open and high, but I was.  

Unless you have a very abnormally short cervix, I doubt you are feeling if it is open.  A short cervix can cause msicarrige or preterm birth though.
I have known I had an open cervex since I was 28 weeks when I went into preterm labor. I have been 2cm & 50 percent effaced since then. I am now 37 weeks & go to get checked today. I have been on bedrest since 28 weeks & meds to stop contractions. I would talk to your Dr. They can stich you if they think it will be a problem!
im not sure how early they do this, but ive heard of women getting their cervix stitched together to allow the pregnancy to continue, if you are pregnant i would go to the doctor immdiatly and see what they can do for you, good luck!!!!
Thanks ladies, I called the doctor today, and they can't get me in until next week, or they will call me if anybody cancels.  But I'm sure that will be a list as well.

I felt my cervix with my finger and it felt open to me, maybe it opens in a different place.  You have eased my mind a bit.

It got me so worried because I kept on thinking that the ongoing sexual abuse I had as a child may have caused it to be open.

I'll guess I'll have to wait until I see the doctor to fully ease my mind.

Thankyou again.