Maternal & Child Community
open forum tuesday

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

open forum tuesday

Thought maybe we got barred from the forum
Wouldnt let us open one up
So what would they do for him?  I never heard of it before.
When he was a baby on baby food did he eat the veggies and fruits?
I dont think I would NOT feed my kids but maybe try making it into a game or something to show interest.
I can remember my one dd about 3  she always had to have a photo album of mom,dad, sister, grandma and pa,  with her when she ate... then she just grew out of it.
Maybe if he has a sensory disorder maybe his sense of taste is affected and he only likes a certain taste.
It sounds like it also may be a sensory issue. Maybe he just doesn't like how other things feel in his mouth or is scared that they will feel odd.
The school believes it is part of the sensory disorder.  Since the majority of the foods he will eat seem to have a general soft consistancy.  Example: he seems to have a problem with the fact that chicken tenders (from any restaurant) are the same as nuggets, which they again believe it could be part of the whole issue. No matter how much I try and explain things to him he is just afraid to try anything. BTW-He also does not drink anything but water, occassionally he will have a little soda, but he hates juice and milk. I would love for him to eat a cheeseburger, like a normal 6 yr old !  He's never even tried ketchup on anything !

He used to eat all baby food, he loved all of it.  This seemed to have happened in the transition between stage 2-3 then table.
Hope you get the answers and help you need It must be frustrating..Wish you all the best...
Probably from all the bit**ing going on lately!!! LOL. Maybe they decided not to let us start posting until after they know everyone has had their breakfast and is feeling good!!!  Have my dr.s appt today and hope to find out what this little peanut is.  We went to this oriental lady who is supposed to be able to predict what you are having by putting her hands on your belly and reading tea leaves.  She is adamant that this is a boy and claims her accuracy rate is over 90 percent, if after I deliver it turns out she was wrong she will refund the cost back to you so really we had nothing to lose.
He is 6 yrs old and since he was an infant he has had eating problems, he would only eat 2 ounces when he should be eating 6. I was always told he would grow out of this It has taken me 4-1/2+ yrs but I realize that I really don't think he will, so I made him an appt to be seen at www.feedingcenter.org which is part of an amazing hospital system. I just feel so guilty about doing this even though I know it will be better for him in the long run. It just seems so harsh.  But he will not eat anything new, hates everything and I am almost in tears. I feel like a short order cook.  He's starting to not eat lunch at school anymore.  If its not one of his favorites I have to force him, and after 2 bites he hates it.  This is his entire diet: Mac & Cheese, pizza, Pasta, Gogurt (chill out cherry only), chicken nuggets (only from fast food places). For school lunch he will only take a cheese sandwich sometimes a lunchables pizza, but that is rare.
Dr. Phil has a great section on children's diet.  First note, that a child will not starve himself/herself.  A second note, you are the boss and not your kid.  Dr. Phil says that you fix your child breakfast.  If the child won't eat it, he/she goes without.  Your fix your child lunch.  If the child won't eat it, he/she goes without.  You fix the child dinner.  If the child won't eat it, he/she goes without.  That is where the not starving himself/herself part comes in.  The child will eat out of hunger alone.  Also, if you don't buy it or cook junk food, the child can't eat it.   Kind of harsh, but I thought it made great sense.
Trixie--thats what I thought , I thought maybe it got too hot and we had "time out"
So she says its a boy huh?   Be neat to know see what they say today and let us know

Wisegirl--Although you said he has always ate less,Its how healthy he eats that I would worry about.  I know kids can be finiky, but they are smart too, My sisters kids only pick- but her problem is she lets them away with it. They will eat two bites and leave the table.Then later she is giving them smarties My kids are made to sitand eat what is made at meal time.
And they eat everything  I got kids who like (get this ) BRUSSEL SPROUTS, PRUNES,
Hope it works out for you
Funny the food topic came up.  My nephew came over and had supper yesterday (he's almost 3).  He ate his hot dog and about three slivers of baby carrots.  I asked him to just eat one piece of brocolli and then he could be done.  It was so funny.  He just sat there and kept saying 'I'm done! I ate it!' but he never did.  And then my brother came and ate and my nephew wanted to eat his food, but my brother was good and said 'no, you have to eat one piece of brocolli'.  So, he finally popped one in his mouth and I thought he was going to vomit (probably cuz it was cold from sitting on his plate for 20 minutes).  So I just told him to chew up quick, swallow and have a drink.  I know you're not supposed to force kids to eat things they don't want, but it was one of those situations where we started something and couldn't let him 'win'.  He's the type that would go home and eat granola bars and junk anyways, so I don't feel bad about forcing him to eat one tiny piece of green.
I am one of those parents who has a problem with parents who do that, make a meal - they don't eat it and an hour later they are eating again, usually junk.  I have NEVER been one to cut the crusts off of bread or make 3 different things for supper to accomodate others in the house.  I agree with Cinn. eat what is put in front of you because it is a very long time until lunch-dinner-breakfast.  We are a dessert family (last night coconut cream pie after dinner), it has ALWAYS killed my kids to have to go without that so I think that challenge for me has been half of what it could have been.  That's not to say that there isn't something wrong with this little guy but I would guess it's more of a battle of the wits and it sounds like mom is at her wits end!!!  I guess most important is he healthy?  Not gaining weight or lethargic I would be going to the dr as well.  I have actually let my kids fall asleep at the table waiting for them to finish (when they were a bit older of course)and although it may sound cruel after a few times they began to realize they were better off to eat it and have play time then to sit there all evening.
I do have to add that my DS also does not eat alot of junk. But he does eat popcorn at the movies and if we go to the ice cream parlor he will only eat a samll soft serve cone and he only eats 1/4 of the ice cream (too cold for him) and no cone (too crucnchy). He will not eat cake unless its a brownie and it has to be plain and he only will eat a little. The only thing as far as chips he will eat is cheese doodles or cheeze its and he'll only eat a handful a day.

He is not allowed snack or dessert unless he eats what I count as enough dinner. The problem is what actual food he can/will eat. If he does qualify he gets 1/2 oz of plain hershey bar.

I don't believe or agree in what Dr Phil says.  We already know my DS has sensory and speech disorders (and have known since 18 months) so now we have to find out if this is causing the eating problems too. He has been in speech and occupational therapy so I'm trying to make myself see it as another type of therapy.