Maternal & Child Community
opinion on flu shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

opinion on flu shot

ok so my girls go for their 6 month check up on february 18th, I am pro-immunization so they will get all their recc. vaccines, however the doc also said they can and should have their flu shot at this appt. I know the flu vaccine is important, But I am scard to death as they will just be 6months old,. and they can not have it before thier 6 month appt,

I would like to hear from all of you who have infants and what you did and advise from your ped about teh flu shot..

thanks
dominic had the flu shot. i think it was october and then dec or november. but he needed it for daycare. he was fine. he was older than 6 months though
Ya know I wont even take a flu shot and im 22 because when i did take it i got sick as #$%^. As for my DD I've never been offered it with her and I dont know what I would do if and when the opportunity came up.
I got a flu shot when pregnant, at my high-risk doc's recommendation, and I got it for myself and my son when he was little.  (I didn't want to have the flu and be taking care of a child at the same time.)  However, because he was born in January, he wouldn't have been as young as 6 months by the time the next flu season rolled around, I'd guess he was more like 10 months.   The pedi made sure the shot for my son was without the thimerosal (sp?) that makes everyone so nervous.  Absolutely no complications for either one of us.
i think DD was about the same as your girls last year- turned 6 months in January.
If I recall correctly, we went ahead and got all of her regularly scheduled immunizations at the 6 month appointment, and waited a week or 2 to go back and get the flu shot. I think most peds now offer thimerisol-free flu shots for children.

This topic has been very frustrating to me, so the following rant is NOT directed at you :) I just have to get it off my chest. My state has made the flushot mandatory for a preschool children. I have heard many many complaints about the flu shot, primarily from parents who are scared and uneducated. Many tell me that their kid got sick from the flu shot- it is true that some people get mild cold symptoms that last 24-48 hours. That's it. You don't get strep, ear infections, stomach bugs, etc... from the flu shot. you don't get the flu from the flu shot. trust me- you'd KNOW if you had the flu. You'd be out of commission for well over a week. Not simply having the sniffles, but unable to function. And if your young child had the flu, it's quite possible it would land him/her in the hospital. What is most likely that happens is, people get sick from going to the doctor's office to get the flu shot. Or, people get sick because it's winter.
While I am not sure how I feel about the shot being mandatory, what does surprise me is how little people know about the shot. Any sniffle their kid gets, they blame on the flu shot. These kids have sniffles ALL year long, but in the winter they decide to blame it on the flu shot.
I'm for mandatory flu shots.  I was in ICU from a simple case of the flu one year, back before health care workers were really encouraged to get vaccinated regularly.

The flu can and does kill.  

You'd better believe I never miss getting my flu shot now.  

If it is mandatory, you protect children whose parents unfortunately still believe that you can "get" the flu from the shot, and who might not have vaccinated otherwise.
thanks everyone, I think my biggest fear was all those shots at one time, I will ask maybe for a follow up appointment, thanks again for your advise.
Both of my kids got their flu shots, and my youngest had just turned 6 months that week.  Make sure though that you get TWO flu shots for each of your girls (booster shot 1 month later).  A lot of people forget to do this with their youngster who's never had a flu shot before.

Here's what the CDC says about two doses:

Special Instructions for Children Being Vaccinated Against Flu for the First Time

Children 6 months up to 9 years of age getting a flu vaccine for the first time will need two doses of vaccine the first year they are vaccinated. If possible, the first dose should be given in September or as soon as vaccine becomes available. The second dose should be given 28 or more days after the first dose. The first dose "primes" the immune system; the second dose provides immune protection. Children who only get one dose but who need two doses can have reduced or no protection from a single dose of flu vaccine. Two doses are necessary to protect these children. If your child needs two doses, begin the process early, so that children are protected before influenza starts circulating in your community. Be sure to follow up to get your child a second dose if they need one. It usually takes about two weeks after the second dose for protection to begin.
P.S. Yes, my 6 month old also got all of his other boosters that same day (think he had like 5 shots).  Being that we're in the middle of flu season now still, it's probably best not to wait-- especially since you'll need 2 shots for it to be effective.
The flu can kill - the shot can saves lives!  

Jazmine had her flu shot (along w/ her regular vaccines) at 6 months of age - it was not a problem.

As others have mentioned, 2 shots will be needed for it to become effective.  A booster is required about 1 month after the initial shot.
As Peek said, I also feel that flu shots should be mandatory. Here in MN I saw 3 positives for influenza A on Saturday. 2 young children, and a diabetic man. We had a very hard time tracking down the medication, as this type of flu is now resistant to one of the main medications we used to use.

I know people are freaked out over this vaccination, I hear all the time that I got the shot and then I got the flu. When asked what they got it was vomitting or diarrhea. This is not the flu it is norovirus a stomach bug. The flu as peek said does kill people every year.

Also as Seeing Spots said, anyone who is recieving their first vaccination needs a booster in 4 weeks.
At DS's 6 mo appt he had 1/2 the shots and the flu shot.  2 weeks later I got the balance of shots and a month later the booster for the flu. I don't like that many shots all at once too. I am Pro Immunization, just not alllll at once.
I take my son to the Nurse Treatment room for his shots, which allows him to get them separately.  Although my pediatrician says that the amount of vaccine in all the shots together is NOTHING compared to the way it was when we were kids, it is possible to get them separately if it still troubles you.  Just be sure there is good record-keeping and it isn't too confusing to keep track.  Making several trips does put a lot more burden on you, so don't do it if it will risk the children not getting their shots in the right timeframe (there are some shots that they won't give after a certain age).  But it is possible to break up the shots.
My family gets the flu shot.  I no longer get one.  Both times I did get it I ended up in the hospital.  I am pro-vaccination but I did have them divided up a little more for the kids when they were little.        
I am all for the flu shot.  My son got it around 1 year because of when he was born.  He did get it in two doses.  After the first dose he became very ill for about 5 days with a viral throat thing.  He did not eat and had a hard time sleeping.  the doctor said (obviously) that it was not the flu, they are not sure if it was due to the flu shot.  After seeing him that ill, I was very thankful that I had gotten him the shot because I am sure that it was nothing compared to the flu.  He had no effects after the second dose.  I personally think that he got sick from playing with the toy at the doctors office and it had nothing to do with the shot.  I would NEVER send my son to daycare with out having the shot.  Kids cant even look at other kids with out catching whatever the other has!!
You are probably right about the toy at the doctor's.  My son got his first cold after going to the pediatric dentist's.  There were dozens of cool toys and wall things to play with, and I would bet you that if they get cleaned at all, it's not every day, and probably is just some bored janitorial employee spraying them casually with aerosol spray and not even bothering to wipe them down.
Just make sure it's thimerosal-free, or mercury free.
It's not a bad idea to stagnate the shots. The last time I got shots for my little guy he had a bad reaction. I think it's just too many at one time for their little system. My 1 year old daycare baby's mom has them just do a few shots at a time. He still gets all of them, just not all at the same time. She feels he does better with that. So, that's an option. :)
thanks so much everyone, i just needed to hear what others have done, I am a nurse, however peds is not my forte, and even it was, sometimes mothers have more knowledge then the doctors and nurses, so I wanted opinions, thanks again for everyones input
I was torn on this issue to.  I'm okay with immunizations but sometimes I think they go overboard and I can't help but think about all the people who get rich off of it.  I myself do not get flu shots.  I was really torn about whether or not to let jacob's dr give him one.  In the end, I decided I would because he is in daycare and exposed to so much.