Maternal & Child Community
ovaltine any good?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ovaltine any good?

i was wondering if ovaltine is good for one year olds. my son likes his milk not all times though only at nap time. Yesterday at my moms house she had the nestle chocalte powder i put a very little in his milk and he drank it down while he was playing with my sister kids. i dont want to give chocalte milk, too much sugar. as of yesterday i put my son one pedialax for his stools, the doc wanted me to put him on miralax the amount for a 20 pound but i went with pedialax, instead because thats a laxative not a stoold softner that would just make him go all day, so i got pedialax but so far nothing, he did go a lil yesterday i change his diaper and it was like very little and it was like water. so im hoping its working. his tissue is ripped from how hard he was going. well okay im typing away lol. just wondering if any moms out there give their kids ovaltine? i know i use to love it
I would watch it, before you know it he will not drink regular milk. I made that mistake with my first and it took 2 years before he would drink regular milk without a fight.

He only needs milk with meals, he does not need to be drinking several glasses of milk throughout the day like they did when on the bottle under a year of age. A glass of milk with lunch, a cup of yogurt with breakfast, a string cheese as a snack and you have three servings.

I am confused, you are giving him a laxative? Or are you giving him a stool softener? He should have stool softener, not a laxative to begin with. If he is passing water and no stool, I would watch closely. It could indicate an impaction.

Anyway, I would avoid the ovaltine. There is a ton of sugar in that as well.
hes on a stool softner, i didnt want laxative that would be no good for him. he does have milk with meals, i guess he is fine. im just looking for more vitamins since he doesnt eat much lately.
Ovaltine is loaded with sugar.

Be sure your child is getting enough fluid.  That may be a reason behind the hard BMs.  Too much milk can be constipating, too. As Andi said, he doesn't need to be drinking it all day.

Is he drinking juices at all?  Not the mixes, but is he drinking 100% juices?
yes he drinks gerber juices and juicy juice
I hate juice, 100% or not.

Most cereals are fortified with a lot of vitamins and minerals as well. Their diets can be easily balanced to meet their dietary needs, it just takes a little common sense and a day to sit down and see what they really should be getting.

A sample of CJ's diet:

Breakfast:

bowl of cheerios w/ whole milk
banana

snack

yogurt w/ fruit

Lunch:

PB sandwich on whole wheat bread
string cheese
orange

Snack:

Applesauce
Graham crackers

Dinner:
pasta w/ garden vegetable sauce (homemade, less sodium)
salad
roll

Snack

jello w/ fruit

There is a wide range of foods that you can use to meet his needs. It all balances out. I just picked up a great cookbook at the school book fair that is full of recipes for kids that they can help with. Even the little ones can help with pouring and stirring.

I must be a paranoid mother but I would not let my 2 year old touch the stuff let alone drink it.  
I only let Jhett have it as a treat otherwise i know he would prefer choc milk rather than plain, But as for food jhett is a picker has toast for breakfast, snack maybe yoghurt, fruit or biscuit and cheese, for lunch a ham sandwich, then a snack in the afternoon, usually what the other kids are eating cause he will steel it off them and then dinner whatever we have usually meat and veg unless the meat is too tough for him to eat and he would just have the vegies all main meals accompanied by a sippy cup of milk
well lately like today carmine at 1 egg for breakfeast. he had 4 oz of milk at 830 but that was out of his sleep and went back to bed and woke up at 1130. i gave him an egg. he drank juice then took a nap at 2 had another 4 oz of milk, then i tried to give him carrots for lunch he had 1 or 2 spoons of it and thats it. then he didnt eat anything until 6 he had a lil pasta about 4 spoons that was it he didnt want to eat. then he had another lil snack later, he doesnt want to eat. because his tummy is probably hurting. i dont think the stool softner is working, so i went to get him real prune juice. so will see by tommorrow. hes pushing all day today and nothing. the doctor told me to get miralax. ill see about that
My daughter had to see a nutritionist due to her lack of weight gain and her poor eating habits.  (HORRIBLE EATER) I would rather rip my eye out then have to feed her dinner.  Anyway, the doctor said to give her pedasure throughout the day and that has worked, led to weight gain and actually increased her appitite to where she does want to eat some solids now.  It also helps her go to the bathroom, she is very regular.  You can try getting that and mixing with milk.  If your son is eating I believe that is the most important milk is 2nd.  Also, try water, My dd loves water and very rarely gets juice.
i bought carmine real prune juice and he went so hard again ughhh img onna scream im gonna get an appt today for him and maybe try the miralax. the peidlax isnt working, if my son would eat he would go to the bathroom good. last night for 2 hours he was waking up every 10 mins screaming his tummy was hurting. if i go to the doctor and they mention his diet to me again and not a solution, i will probably go off on them, hi