Maternal & Child Community
pain killers during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pain killers during pregnancy

Good morning ladies,
i have a question about taking pain meds during my pregnancy. I am 5 months and 3 weeks preggers and have been experienceing horrible back spasms all the way down my sciatic nerve(back of my leg). I cannot sleep and the pain is getting unberable. I had this with my DD but never took anything because i was so scared to. Have any of you ladies taken anything stronger than Tylenol(doesnt do a thing for me) and been Ok?

Do you know what the risks are of taking something stronger, is there a risk to the fetus of deformity or anything like that?

Thanks so much!!!!
yes i had alot of back pain when i was pregnant, i did take percocet 5s and it didnt hurt my baby hes healthy. so ask youre doctor about those or hydrocodone 5s their about the same. ok they wont hurt you. they actually help.
I had surgery during pregnancy and they would not allow me any pain meds.  I was fine with that as bad as it was I was afraid to take anything anyway but they only offered me Tylonel in the hospital.

Check online at the pregnancy catagory for those pain killers.  If it is a A or B its ok.  C is questionable (mainly due to the fact it was not tested on moms to be) and D & over is bad.

Pregnancy Catagory's they are called.  I know them well from when I was in the hospital they had me on all kids of **** but no pain killers.  

Good luck, I have back pain but it is not that bad I cant even imagine how bad yours is and am praying mine does not get that bad.

Congrats on the baby
I have a herniated disc and SI joint damage (in your back pelvic bone) and every 3 months I get injections for them. It really helps, and lasts almost the whole 3 months. I'm actually going tomorrow afternoon before work to get another round done. Your dr can do them right in the office, you just tell them where it hurts.. Or your dr can call your OB for permission to have it done in the hospital where the injections go in deeper with the help of xrays and dye, but mine said no.

The injections are perfectly safe during pg. I had them done with my now 16 month old, and I'm now 24 weeks pg again
We see people get prescriptions for pain meds during pregnancy, but usually they have been on them for awhile, like they have had back surgery previously, etc.  I would call your Dr. and explain what's going on and how bad the pain is.  They are the ones who will have to determine whether or not to prescribe them anyway so they will be looking at the safety of the drug, as will the pharmacist.  I would not go in and ask for a specific drug though, they usually frown upon that and wonder why you are asking for something so specific.  At least this is what we have seen in our pharmacy.  I know I have bad back pain too, but have stuck to Tylenol and heating pad on low.  Hope yours gets better soon.  I would definitely call your Dr. if it is that bad, they won't let you suffer and will be able to help you out.  It's not that uncommon.
http://www.safefetus.com/

you can check out the ratings (A,B,C) of meds like previous poster explained.

I would also check with your OB they can tell you what they deem to be "safe" to take while pregnant.

Good luck!
I'm taking oxycodone 30 mg. pills off and on though out my pregnancy  for my L1,L5 pars defect in my back I am 17 weeks and am scared that am hurting my baby by taking only every now and again (thinking that it may hurt him from not being used to the drug on a regular schedule)