Maternal & Child Community
partial molar pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

partial molar pregnancy

My Dr seems to think I might have a partial molar pg. They have seen the baby and the heartbeat and everything looks normal, but my hcg is 131,000 and should be less than 60,000 (per her lab reference ranges). I am concerned that I am just waiting on her to tell me this baby won't survive. Does anyone know at what week in pg you can rule it out? I am 7 weeks and 3 days. I just don't know what else it could be.
are they saying this based on your HCG levels? or is there visual clues that would also support this?
No, just my hcg. my u/s looks completely normal, but she said it could show something later since I am so early.
try this website..
http://www.ivillage.co.uk/print/0,,177880,00.html
It seems to me that if you had a partial molar pregnancy, your baby would be developing abnormally.  I hope that you go on to have an easy 7.5 more months with no worry..

Hang in there and try not to stress out.  It is very good that you have a doctor that is recognizing small things that may cause a problem.  Some doctors may over look that.  Good luck and stay strong!!
I had a partial mole in 2004.  The pregnancy ended when I would have been 8 weeks.  The baby would not look normal if it was a mole or even a partial mole.  Molar pregnancies involve a build up of cell clusters.  There may be something else going on with you but I think your doctor may be mistaking about it being a partial mole.  We could tell right away that something was wrong based on the appearance alone.  The bad cells take over the healthy cells pretty early in the pregnancy.

Also, I would like to point out that the hcg level ranges for 7-8 weeks from LMP is 7,650-229,000 so you are in normal range based of US guidelines.  I'm am currently 7 weeks 2 days and my hcg is 105,000 (This is from two days ago).  The dr. is not concerned at all.

Again, I can't say that there is not something wrong with your pregnancy because I am not your dr. and don't know you.  I know how hard it was for me to "just wait."  We first knew something wasn't right at the 5 wk 6 day ultrasound.  I had 5 more ultrasounds between then and when I had my d&c at 8 wks.  

Good Luck.  I really hope your dr. is wrong on this one.
aw.. you 2 are due 1 day apart.. :-)  Good luck to both of you!!
The dr said per her labs ranges, I am high. I have also had them done at another lab and the numbers were differnet, I guess it just depends on the lab, but the baby looks perfect right now, of course they can't see anything structural. She just said it could form later on up to 12 weeks possibly, but by then, they should be able to rule it out. How long did they tell you to wait until you ttc again? What did they see on u/s that was abnormal for you? Thanks for your advice!
You are supposed to wait one year from when your hcg levels get down to 0.  With moles, your hcg levels will fall and then rise even after the d&c.  I got pregnant 1 year from when I got pregnant in 2004.  I miscarried that baby.  It's heart quit at 9 weeks 4 days.  I think it was residual from the the previous pregnancy.  This pregnancy is going much better all around.

The first ultrasound we saw, you could see the yolk sak and you could see a little nub.  I'm not really sure how to explain it.  The next ultrasound, the "nub" was a bit bigger but it was still a nub and should have been the baby and we should have seen the heart beat.  The next ultrasound the nub was gone as it was in the next couple ultrasounds.  They autopsied the placenta and sack and came back with partial mole.
My u/s are fine. I have had 3 that showed a completely normal yolk sac, and a baby measuring normal with hr of 152 bpm. Nothing on my ovaries except a corpus luteum cyst and the placenta looks normal. I guess I am just concerned b/c she said it could still form later. I am having another u/s Feb 6th... hopefully it will be normal too.
I think you are probably fine. My hcg's with my molar were up in the 300,000s by 7 weeks. I am surprised they would say that to you only going by your hcg's if you aren't having any problems.

I had a molar pregnancy but mine was a complete molar. I started spotting at 7 weeks so went in for a sono and they told me everything looked fine. There was no heartbeat but they just said I was probably earlier than 7 weeks. Then at 10 weeks I went for another us and the uterus was completely full of clusters of growths. (looked like grapes).I had a d&c the next day. They sent everything from my uterus to mayo clinic and confirmed that it was a complete molar. It took over 6 months for my hormones to get back down to 0. I couldn't start my year wait till they were back to 0 so I had to wait 18 months. I got pregnant the first month I tried then and had a healthy baby girl. They just watched my hcg's till 16 weeks when they dropped and then they new there was no cells still growing other than the pregnancy.
I have heard that it is just 6 months after a partial molar. The reason is because the growths are kindof like a cancer and if any tissue is left after the d&c it can start to grow again. The only way to tell if it starts growing again is by checking hcg levels. If you get pregnant then your hcg starts to go up and they don't know if it is the growths coming back or the new pregnancy.

I know someone who had a molar and the doctor did not make her wait and she got pregnant right away again. Her second baby was ok but the growths started back up again too and by 18 weeks took over the placenta and her baby didn't make it. It is very important to follow what the doctor tells you with a molar.
If you don't wait, the cells could redevelop.
wow, why do they make you wait 12 months until after your levels are 0?  that has got to be agony...
YIKES!!
I just had a partial molar pregnancy removed two days ago by a D&C. I will go this week to have my hormone levels tested. I am terrified that about what I have read about chances of cancer. I am also scared about trying to conceive again. Do you have to wait a year after your levels are 0?
One of my friend U/s showed 2 embryo sacs, one is empty n' one having living embryo & some xtra tissues around it.
Her HCG levels during 8 weeks were normal.....
Embryo is growing properly & tissue is as it is. Now its 12 weeks after LMP.

What can happen in future? Does it mean that its partial mole?
I was told I had a partial molar pregnancy and I didnt lose the baby until 18.5 weeks. I had a perfectly normal baby girl. I dont know if there is ever a time that they can rule it out by how far along you are.

I will be praying for you and hoping you dont have to go through what I went through.

-Jenifer-
I am having a partial molar pregnancy and Im 24 weeks pregnant and 1 day. Im having a little girl but Im scared somthing might happen to her... The doctor said that everything is ok her heart is beating good and she kicks a lot...
i found out today that i have had partial molar pregnancy , but my doc want to check my hcg level for 3 months, if it is fine in 3 months, she dont have problems with trying again,,,,i dont know anything abt this problem and cancer thing is really scary ,,,, me and dh are thinking abt adopting a child as we live in USA (not citizen ) but we are originally from India and in india, the adopting process is little quicker then here in usa,,,,,, i just dont want to kill any kid coz i want a child ,,,,,, i still believe i should not get preg in this condition ,,, but i really want a baby and i dont know what to do ,,,, pls help us to understand the problem and suggest any solutions for us , we are regularly reading all the posting here and we will be glad if anybody can tell us , what is partial molar pregnancy( i have 1% partial molar) ???
Our friends at the Cleveland Clinic have this to say about partial molar pregnancy.  The main thing to know is that it rarely happens two times in a row.

Partial Molar Pregnancy

A partial molar pregnancy is a variation of a molar pregnancy, an abnormal pregnancy in which an embryo (the fertilized egg) either develops incompletely, or doesn’t develop at all. Instead, a cluster of grape-like cysts (known as a hydatidiform mole) grows in the uterus.

In a partial molar pregnancy, an incomplete embryo and placenta (the sac in which the fetus grows) may actually start to develop.

What causes a partial molar pregnancy?

A partial molar pregnancy is a genetic accident. In a normal pregnancy, the egg receives one set of 23 chromosomes from the father and one set of 23 chromosomes from the mother, for a total of 46 chromosomes. In a partial molar pregnancy, the egg receives two sets of chromosomes from the father, usually because two sperm have fertilized the egg. The egg now has 69 chromosomes, instead of the normal 46.

Molar pregnancies occur approximately once every 1,000 pregnancies. Partial molar pregnancies occur less frequently.

What are the symptoms of a partial molar pregnancy?

Symptoms of a partial molar pregnancy include severe nausea, vomiting, and hypertension (high blood pressure) early in the pregnancy, often in the first trimester.

How is a partial molar pregnancy diagnosed?

The physician diagnoses a molar pregnancy by performing an ultrasound, which will reveal the presence of cysts in the uterus. The physician will also perform another test that measures the levels of beta human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), a hormone that pregnant women produce. It appears in the blood or urine a week after the egg has been fertilized. Beta hCG levels rise rapidly in normal pregnancies; in a partial molar pregnancy, the beta hCG levels rise at a slower rate and often to a lower level than a normal pregnancy.

What is the treatment for a partial molar pregnancy?

A partial molar pregnancy is treated by removing the embryo and placenta from the uterus. This is done with a surgical procedure known as a suction curettage, in which the cervix is dilated (opened) and the embryo and placenta are removed from the uterus.

After this procedure, the doctor will continue to measure the woman’s beta HCG levels for up to a year to determine if there are any remnants of the molar tissue in the uterus. The woman should use reliable birth control methods during this time to keep from becoming pregnant.

In a small number of partial molar pregnancy cases, there will be some molar tissue remaining in the uterus after the suction curettage. This tissue is known as gestational trophoblastic disease and may continue to grow. It can be treated with methotrexate, a medication that is also used to treat cancer. In rare cases, the gestational trophoblastic disease may develop into a cancer (known as a choriocarcinoma). This, too, can be treated with anti-cancer agents.

Can a woman become pregnant after a partial molar pregnancy?

Yes. The odds of the woman having another molar pregnancy are small (approximately 1-2%). In order to be sure that the uterus is free of molar tissue, the woman should not try to become pregnant until a year after treatment.
I had a partial molar pregnancy that was very normal looking in my early ultrasound at 7.5 weeks. There was even a normal heartbeat of 158bpm. I then went in for an ultrasound at 13 weeks (on Feb 8) and they couldn't find a heartbeat. The baby looked fairly normal aside from a few defects at this point but was only measuring out to be about 11 weeks.

Basically I was told my baby had died 2 weeks earlier due to defects in the placenta (the mole) which caused fetal abnormalities and death. I am going in for a D&C tomorrow (Feb 11). This whole things has definitely been very traumatic.

I am not saying this is what will happen with you, but I know that my labs were a little abnormal earlier on (elevated hcg, elevated thyroid tests) and I was mildly hypertensive with severe nausea throughout. Please just hang in there.... wait and see. I think the concerns are valid but you don't want to jump the gun on anything just based on bloodwork.

BEST OF LUCK! I am thinking of you.