Maternal & Child Community
passing of tissue/miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

passing of tissue/miscarriage

In June I had a miscarriage one day after I found out I was pregnant.  I never would have known I was pregnant except we were trying so I took a test the morning after my missed period.  I started bleeding the next day and had what was a very normal period for me, not extra cramping or heavy bleeding.  I did pass something that I thought might be some fetal tissue...it seemed to have a stem to it.  
I am on my period now and passed the same type of matter last night and had a little clotting.  As far as I know, I wasn't pregnant.  I started my period on time.  The timing could have been right to get pregnant this month, but I am not sure because we didn't do any ovulation test this month.  My question is if you have a miscarriage right around the time of your period, would the tissue be big enough to have a stem type thing to it?  It is hard to describe what it looked like, but it reminded me of what I would like a very small placental cord would look like.  I am hoping this is regular tissue shedding, and I know I will have no way of knowing.  I guess since having such an early miscarriage, I am concered this could keep happening before I knew I was pregnant and we wouldn't really know if there was a problem.  I have had one very easy pregnancy and had a dd 2 1/2 years ago.  I got pregnant with her right after stopping the pill and thought it would be just as easy 2nd time around.  I have been off the pill since Jan. with no luck.
I did not have the same m/c that you had.. I was 8 weeks along and definately passed tissue, as I saw it and it was not a clot. I'm not sure you would have been far enough along to see the stem. If you are worried, you could have a blood test taken to see if you have any HCG hormones, and what there leves are. That would stop your worry. I have had heavy periods at times, and KNew I wasn't pregnant. I wouldn't worry too much!
If you were pregnant, an HPT would probably still be above 20 at this point. I don't think you would pass tissue at just 14-15 dpo--everything is very tiny then (perhaps look online at what development is like at "4 gestational weeks", that might tell you). Probably you would  just have a much heavier period with clotting. At 6 weeks I did pass like a small grape-sized greyish blob.
i had a mc very early. i too only knew for a short time. i passed lots of tissue/clots. nothing grey or that resembled more than a mess of tissue. one more time i thought maybe the same thing happened and my dr said they didnt want to do a test because what good does that do? at the time i was pissed. how dare they, but now i think its better to just assume its a period (this early i mean) and not worry. i may have said this wrong to how i meant it . however if it helps i have had the most horrible periods after mc with lots of tissue every month. so maybe this is a normal thing to have happen. sounds like your fine just your uterus doing a good cleaning!
The second time it think it was a period if not sure take preg. test levels would still be there.I m/c early also but never passed anything b/c of ectopic & metho.I did bleed alot & passd clots but no sac.I was told that alot of people m/c without knowing their even preg.clotting,heavy periods,cramping,etc.Hope you feel better. nanis
I had a m/c afetr taking an early pregnancy test 1 day after my period was due and when my dr told me that I was having a m/c I thought I would have awful pain but it was more like a heavy period.  I was told that at 5 weeks the fetus is smaller than a poppy seed.  I thought that I would have rather not known that I had a m/c but rather have a late period but then someone changed my mind. Even though the m/c was a tragedy and it hurt real bad, you know that you are fertile, you can get pregnant, one or both of your tubes are open, your obviosly ovulating and his sperm can penetrate your cm. My dr. told me because I had a m/c I wouldn't have to go through some of the invasive testing that I would have had to do.

I have been looking on line and i'm still not too sure what to think.  I am 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant, on sunday 3 days ago I started bleeding, very slight at first but has got a lot heavier.  I had a lot of what seemed like period pains but this only lasted a couple of minutes or so.  I did have lower back pain which lasted a lot longer.  Throughout my pregnancy I have not felt pregnant the only real signs being sore boobs and needing to pee a lot.  On sunday these symptons stopped and then started to bleed and now starting to pass blood clots about the size of baked beans.  Yesterday I found when I wiped, a pinky coloured flesh like substance, which was rolled up but I'm starting to wonder if this is tissue.  I am due to go for a scan on Friday and my gut feeling is that I I have an incomplete miscarriage.  I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what they think.

Thanks a lot

Bryony
I had a very similar experience just back in August. Started bleeding on a Sunday, and had an exam that Wednesday. I wasn't overly worried because I bled at 10 weeks with my first child, and i was 10 weeks along then too. The doc told me I was most likely not preganat because there was nothing in the sack when he did an ultrasound. He told me I most likely  had a blighted ovum. 6 days later I passed the placenta. One week after that I passed a glob of gray deformed matter the size of a grape (I am 90% sure that was what should have been my baby). I am still passing tissue 5 weeks later, but my doc and I are working together so that I don't have to take drugs or have a D&C. I pray that you have had better news than I did, but it sounds exactlly the same as my story. If that is the case then I am sending you a big hug and ally good thoughts and prayers for your health and healing.

~Lara
just a few days back i started to cramp really bad and later that day i had to go pee really bad and i noticed there was a lot of white tissue in my urine but there was no blood and the cramping stoped i just got my ultrasound done and i thought i was around 8 weeks but nothing showed up did i have a miscarriage?
I went for an ultrasound thinking I was 12 weeks pregnant, the ultrasound revealed there was nothing there only a thickened lining, a week later I started the process and the pain was so bad I could hardly move (almost like labour pains) I had two days of excruciating cramps and lots of clots and tissue.  I passed a large amount of tissue today and I'm concerned that everything won't pass, if I were ever in this situation again I would opt for a D&C.  I had a D&C my very first pregnancy (miscarriage) and never again would I wait for my body to pass it, much to painful.  Not sure why my body holds onto the pregnancy for such a long time, both miscarriages happened long before I found out via ultrasound first time I thought I was 16 weeks turned out the fetus was only 10 wks, this time I thought I was 12 weeks and there was nothing in the sac.  Sorry for all those who have lost a baby it's very hard to come to terms with.
I'm not sure if I had a m/c or not. A week ago I started cramping really bad, but no period.  A couple days later I went to the bathroom and when I got up I was shocked. Ther were two grayish bobs . I didn't know what to think. But with soreness in my breats lately and now this I thought maybe I was having a m/c. Since then I have been seeing clotts when I urinate. I don't know what happened!
I started bleeding on Sunday afternoon thought it was my period and have continued bleeding and then Monday nothing hardly at all, then yesterday I had alot of bleeding along with big clots.  Last night I was fine other than dizzy spells light headed then today started up again 1 clot then just lots of bleeding.
Hello everyone.

I am 29 years old and found out I was pregnant on 11/20. Here is what has happened so far:

11/20 - BFP! So excited, my hubby and I just got married in October, went off the pill in Sept and got pregnant our first month trying.

11/23 - HCG levels 32

11/29 - started bleeding bright red and cramping. Went to the ER, thought for sure I was misscarying (5 weeks)
They did a pelvic and said my cervix was closed. No baby or sac seen on internal u/s. HCG 327. Ordered to see my OBGYN 12/1 and do HCG then.

12/1 - u/s no baby or sac again. HCG 377. still bleeding lightly. Told I was miscarrying. Appt to come back on 12/5.

12/5. u/s shows 2.2cm ectopic in my left tube. HCG 360.  Given choice of methotrexate or surgery. Opted for shot. Went for kidney and liver panels. All were good.

12/6 - Methotrexate 90mg, one shot in each butt cheek. Cramping and more bleeding.

12/7 - Today - more cramping, heavier bleeding. Just passed tissue that is reddish pinkish and has some grey in it. Is this the sac already? Doctor told me my body would absorb it. Saved tissue to take to next appt.

Scheduled for another HCG on 12/10 and 12/13.

Reading all of your posts has made me feel better but I still do not know what caused this.  How is it possible that I passed this tissue less than 24 hours after the Metho shot?

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jessica