period and breastfeeding
i am breastfeeding,  how long can i expect my period to stay gone?
i've been having cramping like i'm gonna start, but nothing!
~nanci
THIS IS ONLY WHAT I READ
That breastfeeding suppresses the ovaries  and can last up to 6 months,I wouldnt use it as a form of birthcontrol though
check out some sites for information  type in breastfeeding and ovulation.
I am nursing my baby who will be 6 months March 8 and I do not have a period yet.  Like you I get the uncomfortable feeling sometimes like it is going to start but nothing.  I think my DD (now 6 yrs old) was 6 or 7 months when I got AF back the first time.  Good luck.  Enjoy it being gone while you can.  I know I am.  I have only had 2 periods since July of 03 because of my m/c in Sept of 03.
kck
With my first daughter, I did not get my period until after I stopped nursing at 8 months.  I do not remember having any symptoms either.  With my second daughter, who is now 7 months old, I am still nursing first thing in the morning and at bedtime.  I pump before work/after nursing and pump before bed/after nursing, but nothing in between.  I have not gotten my period back yet and have no symptoms.
ek1
Every woman is different, I have friends who got their period 2 months after birth even breastfeeding full-time.  I breastfed both my babies for a little over a year, and didn't get my period for a long time.  With my first, at 10 months, and with my second at 13 months.  Oddly, I started weaning at 9 months with both of them - so with my first baby I got my period immediately, and with my second there were 3 months of nothing.  During that time I felt symptoms of getting my period each month - cramping, bloated - but didn't get it.
All the advice I ever got said that with FULL TIME breastfeeding, you won't ovulate for 6 months, after which time you never know when you may start.  (But I wouldn't count on this for brith control !!)  Full time means around the clock, so even if you haven't started weaning, once the baby sleeps through the night it's no longer considered full time.
thank you all for your response.  i know not to use it as b/c my cousin got pg while nursing/and not having a period.

i guess i will just enjoy not having af for now

~nanci
sorry I jump in on your thread but this is kinda along the same lines......at least it is being spoke of so.........

My ds is almost 9 months old and I am 6 weeks pregnant with another.......I suppose now is as good a time as any to start weaning.......that way I can (try to) have him weaned by the time he is a year old......I don't want to take the chance of having to tandem nurse....I don't think I have enough patience for that.
Anyway......what do I do to start weaning??
Talon is eating three meals a day of solids and he nurses at least one time in between each meal plus twice before bed and once or twice at night and then once before breakfast. He really doesn't like juice so I am afraid he will get dehydrated if I start cutting him off the breastmilk.
(As I look over and he is sleeping in his highchair, how cute is that.......lol)
Anyway, do I just try to elimate one feeding per day for a week or so and then try to elimate another??? Until he is down to just eating at bedtime and early morning?? And then cut them out one at a time too??
How much more solids should I feed him to replace what he is losing from his nursing?? I don't want to make him over weight by feeding him all the time but he always seems hungry.
Any advice would be great......
Thanks in advance,
Vikki
Under a year you need to supplement the feedings with formula, not solids. Under a year, solids are basically just practice, not their main source of nutrition. When I weaned Jonathan, I waited until after we passed the one year mark and gave him whole milk in place of feedings. I eliminated 1 a week, the last one being the bedtime feeding. He got sick as soon as I started weaning, so it took 2 months (you never wean a sick baby or if there is something else major going on like a move, it is too much stress for baby)

Andrea