Maternal & Child Community
pink discharge and spotting at 21 weeks preg.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 21 weeks pregnant. I would call the doctor but I call her all the time for everything. I don't want her to get sick of me and I'm not sure if it's really somehting to be worried about. But a few days ago I had a tiny dot of blood on the toilet paper after using the bathroom along with a pink colored discharge. That was all until today when I went to the bathroom and had more discharge. I felt something strange, not urine, coming out of me so wiped and there was an awful lot of pink discharge. I had to keep wiping and wiping becaue there was so much. When I was about done wiping it was not pink anymore but more of a brown color. The past week or two I've been having contractions. My friend said they're just braxton hicks contractions but is it normal to have them so early in a pregnancy. It might be helpful to know that this is NOT the first time I had a problem while pregnant. with my first I was okay until delivery time and they couldn't get him out and thought one of us would die. With my second I had problems with my heart which they decided was just palpitations, I had lots of cramping and a cyst on my ovary, I had problems with getting dehydrated even though I drank a gallon of water a day, and started going into labor at about 34 or 35 weeks and was in the hospital during the last month of it four times. Oh and I've been anemic for years.
    I'm worrying about everything because of the loss of my last baby but is this really something to worry about. Oh also last night I woke up at 3:30 in the morning and didn't sleep til 6 because of a horrible pain in my left side. I have no idea how to describe it because I have never had a pain like this before but my side hurt above my hip closer to the front side, kind of like cramping but it wasn't sharp pains, it almost felt as if someone hit me as hard as they could in the side and my chest on the left side hurt and my arm hurt and around my shoulder blade on the left side hurt. I could really use some help. I don't want to have to call my doctor for the millionth time to find out it's nothing.
better to feel silly and overworried, then feel sorry later----  I would call the doctor.  
call ur doc its her job if shes a good doc. she wont get sick of you. besides its her job=) i hope u feel better but really call her!
I would definately call your Dr.    Better safe than sorry.
Thanks everyone. I just hate calling the doctor sooooo much with a problem I find is nothing. She also likes to send me to ER and I HATE that. I went ahead and called though. The nurse just told me that she's sure it's nothing to worry about but she would let the doctor know and told me to talk to the doctor about it at my appointment next Friday unless it gets worse or the pain I had this morning comes back. She didn't say anything about the contractions but I guess it's braxton hicks and normal at this stage. Thanks!
Are you feeling the baby move around like normal?  

When I was pregnant with my second, I had lunch with a friend and he always likes to have coffee after lunch (he is 76, and ownes the restaurant, so I usually just go along with it)...  anyway, I ordered it decaf, but I think they brought me regular, and it was this mexican coffee dessert drink thing-  man,  about an hour later my heart started to race and I was shaking-  I called my doc, and he was out of town-  none of the other docs would see me that day and the nurse made me feel so stupid....  the next day I was still feeling a little funny, so I went in to the dr. office first thing, and I told the doc who saw me that I was sorry to have taken her time, etc because I felt stupid (because of that nurse)-  the doc told me "don't you ever worry about coming in here for anything-  this is your baby, and if something doesn't feel right to you, then you come see us-  that is what we are here for- never feel stupid for feeling the need to make sure your pregnancy is healthy"---  

anyway, that made me feel better...  don't let them make you feel stupid or anything because in less then 9 months (only about 4 in your case) you won't see them other then once a year anyway!!  :)  so who cares, you take care of you and your baby-  they should understand, esp considering your history.  

Good luck!
Listen, don't worry about bothering the doctor.  You are paying big time for their expert advice and care.  

I see the results of women who don't want to "bother" the doctor all the time....and sometimes it is tragic.  There are no words to describe the guilt you might feel if you wait something out and it ends badly.  

Most time, normal pregnancy aches and pains can be treated with Tylenol and rest.  A warm pack (not hot!) may also be used.  If these things don't help, you SHOULD promptly call your doctor and follow whatever advice they gave you.

Copious pink discharge and frequent painless contractions SHOULD be brought to the attention of your doctor.  (the pink may turn brown after a while).  It may be nothing, but let the doctor decide that, ok?

You are not bothering the doctor!

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.