Maternal & Child Community
please help. my son hasn't had a bowel movement in nine days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My son has been having bowel movements every 3 to 6 days for the past month and a half.  His doctor said it's normal for a breast fed baby to go 5 to 7 days without a bm.  Today is his ninth day without a bm and now the doctor wants to do an x-ray of his stomach.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if so what was the outcome?  His doctor said she has never heard of a breastfed baby going this long with such a weird bm pattern so I am beginning to get a little worried.  Any suggestions?
Tags: bowel
i would put some breast milk in a bottle and put a tablespoon of karo syrup in it,shake it up well and see if that helps,maybe you are eating things that are making him constipated.?? my babies were formula fed and we always put karo in one of their bottles,the formula with iron always constipated them.it wont hurt him and he will probably feel better being able to have a good bowel movement.good luck.
I am no dr, but I went through this with our DD... Is his tummy hard?  I was worried, I think it was either 7 or 8 days without a bm, so I made a dr appt.  We go to the appt and I am explaining that I am a little concerned, dr feels DD belly, and said that it isn't hard (meaning no blockage), and then it happened... DD starts with the face, all red... not really straining, just the poop face... I had to laugh, and dr got a chuckle...

I have, on a few occasions, used the child suppositories by Fleet... How old is your son?  For DD, I push one in her rectum, and squeeze her checks so it doesn't come out ( i do that for about 15 seconds)... WIthin 10-15 minutes she is pooping...
My son is 3 1/2 months and he doesn't seem uncomfortable and his tummy isn't hard, that's what's so weird about it.  We've tried giving him suppositories and they don't even make him have a small bowel movement.  It's just nice to know that others have been through it.... it's funny how much i look forward to him pooping now, i guess it's the joy of being a mother.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Hmmm... he is younger than our DD... I think I may have another scenario for you... Our friend's DS had extreme bowel problems - turns out that his sphincter was too tight... After sevral dr visits, she was told that she had to put her finger in his rectum to massage his sphincter muscle to loosen... Gross, I know... She had to do this for a few months - finallly the sphincter muscle corrected itself, and he is fine now...

Good luck - and I will pray that everything checks out okay :o)
My friends baby was only breastfed and sometimes went as long as 14 days. His ped said he was fine. He never strained or had hard stools. My baby has started going longer between bowel movements but she is on solids and breastmilk now. So I give her prunes and pears to encourage pooping. She gets quite fussy when it has been a few days with no poops. My ped suggested pear juice we have done it a couple times, but try to avoid juice (just empty calories). Is your baby upset when he doesn't poop? If not it is probably normal.
What I would suggest to you is give him a little bit of prunes. They always helped when my kids didnt go number 2 at all. Is he eating any solids or drinking any milk? If so give hime a little prunes not to much thought. Also they have grape juice or apple juice you can always try one of those.
I wouldn't mess with anything, it is likely if he is not upset and doesn't have a hard belly, that his body is just absorbing most of his intake. That is extremely common for breastfed babies. All of mine were the same way.

Wait and see what the doc says before giving prunes, juice, or trying to manually stimulate things.
i would call the dr if you are concerned..i was told at that age to just call the dr if it was no bowel for 3 days...but my ds is also formula fed he is now almost 6 1/2 mos old and eating solids so the dr has given me 2 options now to help IF it ever happened to give a bit of prunes and if he is uncomfortable and that didnt help to give him a suppository..everything is good unless he has some bananas sometimes:s grr but its all good id call the dr and see what he or she would recommend..my dr also recommended apple juice but im not a fan of juice in a bottle so...