Maternal & Child Community
poison ivy and pregnancy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

poison ivy and pregnancy

I have contacted poison ivy and my doctor recommended me to take a medrol pack...methylPREDNISolone tablets... is it safe to take this during the beginning of my third trimester? I am 6 1/2 months pregnant. I believe it is a steroid and I am wondering if my baby will be in any kind of danger with me taking the entire dose. The doctor said it might affect her eyes or get into her system. Is this true?
Thank you for your reply.
Related Discussions
I looked up the pregnancy category for this drug on Micromedex and it is unknown.  Prednisolone itself is a category C drug (most docs only recommend category A or B's unless the benefit outweighs the risk) but I am sure there are woman who need to take this if they have certain conditions.  It seems kind of an extreme treatment for poison ivy to me but I am not a doctor.  Did you try any of the topical over the counter meds?  For myself I would even take a claritin (category B) before trying anything more potent.  No drugs are 100% safe during pregnancy, although they do say that the 2nd trimester is the safest time to take anything.  Perhaps call a nurse line and see what they say about the topicals or antihisamines.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank