Maternal & Child Community
positive pregnancy test 4.5 weeks after D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi. I had a missed miscarriage and had to have a D&C done on march 2. The bleeding didn't really start until 5 days later on march 7th, and stopped 1 week later on march 9th. Exactly 2 weeks after the bleeding stopped from the D&C, I thought I was getting AF (3 /2 weeks after the D&C). It was too soon. THe bleeding was light, and the whole duration only lasted a 2 days. I had a total of 2 days of spotting also.

Could the bleeding be leftover from the D&C? I have taken several pregnancy tests. THere is a very faint line on all of them. I read that your hormone levels have to reach 0 in order for a new cycle to begin, so this couldn't have been AF. BUt are the HCG levels due to my last pregnancy? When I had the D&C, I was supposed to be almost 10 weeks. My HCG levels were in the 19,000's and dropping. So they should've been 0 a week ago. I had the D&C exactly 1 month ago today.

Thank you for any input.
I would call your doctor and ask them to do a blood test. There have been people who have posted here before what have gotten pg after a d&c before they got their next AF. I am not sure how common it is but I know it is possible. Also if you are getting a faint BFP you shoudl diffinetly follow up with your doctor. Hope that helps. Good Luck Baby Dust!!!!
Sorry about your loss songbird....I miscarried on 3-16 I know that after you miscarry if you take a pg test it'll show a positive until your levels are <5. My miscarriage was natural but from speaking to others who had a D/C they bleed more and it took longer for levels to drop depending on how far along you were. One is supposed to get AF 3-6 weeks after a miscarriage. Also if you babydanced after your D/C you could be pg.. But you should definitley see your dr to make sure that everything is ok.  GOOD LUCK... & BABY DUST....
Thank you everyone. We did BD a few times since the D&C. This last pg was totally by accident, as at the time my son just turned 4 months old and my daughter wasn't 2 1/2 years old yet. So, we aren't planning on trying for another child for quiet some time, but I actually hope that I do become "accidently" pg again soon.

As for my OB, I went in for another checkup last monday (1 week ago). My OB forgot to note it in my files that I needed to take a pg test, so I fought with the nurses there about it, but they annoyingly did one anyways. They dipped it in the urine and read it right away. SO of course it said negative. My OB did seemed surprised that my AF was starting again so soon. If I call them and tell them my situation, they'll say that it's not possible because when they tested me theirs was BFN, and it'll cause problems. I know I need a blood test.

I just don't understand if this bleeding is from the D&C, which was 1 month ago today, or if it's a new pg starting and it's implantation bleeding. But I had a BFP before the bleeding started. I did order more pg tests and even ovulation tests from saveontests.com. They are much cheaper than earlypregnancytests.com. I'll see what the ovulation tests say this week.   Plus according to everything I know about HCG levels, they should have been at zero one week ago (3 1/2 weeks after D&C).

Thank you again everyone!
Songbird
Lots of babydust~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~**~*~~**~*~
I would call the dr.  You may still have HCG left in your system from the m/c.  I had a natural m/c, and my ob tested me until my levels were 0.  My levels dropped quickly, but I have heard of it taking a few weeks.  The dr. can bring you in and give you a blood test.  If you are having positive tests at home, it will likely be positive as well, but he can give you another one a couple of days later, and compare the levels to see if they are rising (new pg.) or falling (from the m/c).  

I am really sorry for your loss.  It is really hard I know, but I got pregnant before I had a/f after my (natural) m/c and I have a beautiful 8 week old daughter to show for it.  

Best wishes to you.  

Amanda
lost pregnancy at 12-13 weeks at my 16 week visit.  Actually went into labor and delivered fetus at hospital then did d/c on june 17th.
Have enjoyed my hubby's company and felt ovulation about 3 days after our fun.  today + pg test when expecting my period.  Could I be pg again
had d and c on 9/25.Had alot of pain and cramping on 10/05 passed alot of blood and tissue went to E.R and had positive P.T and was examined and was told D and C was incomplete was told by first Dr. it was  the fetus still in embryo sac a obgyn on call for my primary obgyn came in and removed what she said was just left from the d and c.Iwas in so much pain.I had to return to E.R on 10/08 due to pain and passing tissue and blood and obgyn stated if Iwas still doing this by Monday he would do another D andC. I am still passing tissue I just don't know how much more I can handle.I am getting all of my medical records from my obgyn and E.R for my lawyer to review to see if i have a case against my obgyn.My mother walked back to the E.R to be with me and heard the Dr.'s in the E.R talking about a whole fetus being in the womb that they did a crapy job if they thought they were doing a d and c.But i was told it was just a little tissue left from the d and c.Has anyone been through the same situation