Maternal & Child Community
potty training at 18 months!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

potty training at 18 months!

little miss addison is 18 months and is learning to use the potty!! she showed signs of wanting several months ago when i was using the restroom so i bought a potty and figured it would collect dust before we used it.  well she has been using it for several weeks, not every time but will use it several times a day and even poops!! its a big production, we flush it and say bye bye she loves it!  

well the other day the potty was in the dining area (ya gross but first thing is the morn its easier lol) and dh said ew there is poop did you forget to clean it up?  well god no id never, but she had her diaper on still.  well that cute little thing was reaching in the back of her diaper and pulling her poop out and putting it in her potty and was so proud with the biggest smile i wish you could have seen her!! she knew it went in the potty!!  

how old were your girls when they finally got the art of using the potty down and gave up the diaper?  we bought her some panties but her little waist isnt big enough to hold them up haha.
That is so freakin cute. Bowing down, I'm going to have to say dd was 2 1/2 :(  BUT, when she was potty trained, SHE WAS POTTY TRAINED, ha ha... There were no accidents and she doesn't even need a pull up at night. So, Miss Addison is way on top of things!! Actually I did try Lily at 16-17 months  because I thought I could have it licked before her brother was born, but I was wrong!
Our daughter was just shy of 2 yrs old.   We had bought her a potty a couple months before her birthday and she would use it when we asked her.  A few weeks later she wanted to start wearing big girl panties and we said she could only wear them when she started using the potty.   She is stubborn and insisted on wearing them that day.  
We never had any accidents..........
My son however was a different story.      
I've never had a girl but everyone's girls I've known have been potty trained by the time they were two. Girsl do potty train faster than boys do. My son wasn't until 3. The daycare he went to at the time wouldn't work wih him when I started. Then my mom watched him while I worked and I found out she would sleep all day while Aries did whatever he wanted and would never change him. I even got tired of it so sent him in underwear so she would have to work with him and she would barrow a diaper from someone and put it on him as soon as he got there in the morning. I HATE my mom. She's so lazy. But when I stopped working and stayed with Aries, within a week he was potty trained. Anyway, that sounds about right for your little girl to be starting.
Pertykitty--My dtr mastered potty training at 25 months.  She is now 29 months and doesn't wear a diaper at all (even at night).  

Megmil--I know parents could be frustrating but I think HATE is a very harsh word.  My mom passed away when I was 18 (I am now 28) and I would do anything to have her back.  You don't know what you have until it's gone.  My dad too is more on the lazy side.  He watched my dtr. when I went back to school and hubby worked away from home.  After I found out what he was/wasn't doing I found someone else to watch her.  Yes, my dad drives me nuts at times (most of the time) but I still love him.  I don't know your history with your mom but you need to try to find it in your heart to forgive as life is way too short.  
What a good girl - she is so smart!!!!!!!!!  I sat Izzy on the toilet a couple times but she was a little scared.  It's funny because she is fascinated with it at all other times!!!!!!!!!
Well, my oldest started using the little potty around 18 months, but was not fully trained until 2 1/2. She would go #2, but still went pee pee occasionally in diaper until 2 1/2.

J will be 18 months next week, and she has pee'd in the potty a few times, but acts scared most of the time. I do think she will be trained before 2 1/2 though, I think she will follow the lead of her big sister.

Yay for Addison! What a cute story about her putting her diaper contents in her little potty:)
The kids here are growing up so fast!
So not only is she GORGEOUS, she is SMART too!!!! Wow that is GREAT at 18 months!!!  She is really smart. Most babies wouldnt even BEGIN potty training yet and here she is transferring it from her diaper to the potty!! That is adorable and hilarious!

My oldest potty trained herself at 20 months because I watched my little sister a lot back then and she was a year older than her. So she wanted to be just like her Aunt and started going potty all on her own! She still wore a nighttime diaper til around 2 and 1/2.
But then my 4th daughter was freakin 3 and 1/2 before she would even try!! lol So it can vary, but I do agree girls are easier.

Yeah for Addy!!! She is awesome!!!!
i think she watches her big brother do things and she feels as though she isnt a baby.  he was at the table doing homework and her little tiny self tried to climb up on the chair lol.  she fell off and was mad but never stops trying.  

jenny she is stubborn like her mama lol
dd started at 15 months. I was going to fully train her, because she would keep her diaper dry for days, but then I got pregnant and was always too sick to stay on top of things. Plus it was winter, and our house is chilly, and all of those layers are not great for training. She is still dry most of the day and poops only on the potty. We are going away in a few weeks and will be flying. I didn't want to train her and then put her back into a diaper for several days- i thought that would be confusing. So we'll take the final steps when we get back at the end of June. She'll be just shy of 2. When we're home all day, she often wears undies.
Millie was 16 months when we started and it took 2 weeks before she was completely dry during the day.  By 18 months she was dry at night too!   It is possible...here is our story...hope it helps other moms!

http://pottytrainingatoddler.blogspot.com/