Maternal & Child Community
potty training troubles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

potty training troubles

We potty trained my dd a few months ago when she was 28 months.  She picked up on it very well and we went quite awhile with no accidents.  All of a sudden she is having a lot of accidents - and she thinks its funny when she does.  I don't know what has changed.  We haven't had any major life changes that would cause her to want more of our attention.  I don't know if this is one of the setbacks that just happens and she'll "outgrow" it on her own.  In the meantime, how are we supposed to react to her accidents?  Like I said, she thinks it's funny.  She'll pee on the floor, then come up to us and tell us what she did...then laugh about it.  Do we discipline her?  Do we act like it's no big deal?  Not sure what to do....any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you!!
After she did this the first time, did she get a laugh or snicker out of anyone?  Is there anything that has changed recently in her life?  New baby?
No, we tried to keep it low key - just like when we were training her.  We took her into the bathroom, cleaned her up and went on with our day.

We had another baby in April - but intentionally waited until after she was born before we even started potty training (even though she was ready before that).
I have a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old.  When our second was born, our older daughter went back to her baby ways because she was wanting to be the baby.  We had to potty train her all over again.  Maybe your daughter is trying to tell you something.  It is hard on them when a baby comes into the picture and takes half their spot light.
So how did you get her trained again?  Just like the first time around?  Or was it more disciplined?

We thought maybe it was just for attention and that she wanted to be the baby again.  But even when we put her in a pull up at night, she argues saying that she's a big girl and doesn't need one.

Thanks for responding!
I'm in the process of training my 3 yr old DS. I'm by no means an expert, but I find reward works better then any kind of dicipline. What I would suggest is rewarding her and giving positive attention when she uses the potty correctly. Sticker chart is working great for us. We make a big deal over picking out the stickers at the store, etc. Or you can give an incentive for every 10 times she uses the potty she can get a toy or something. Best advice I can give is focus on what she's doing right and ignore/pay little attention to the incorrect behavior. Good luck!

While I'm at it ... any advice how to get your little one to do poop on the potty? We've got the pee pee mastered ....  
Well, my 2.5 year old is potty trained except at night she still has to wear a diaper.  I don't do the pull up thing because they just didn't work for my kids.  I stopped using diapers cold turkey.  We stayed home for most of the week, and they were trained.  When we were doing it the pull up way, it wasn't working because they knew they could potty in them and not a problem, they found out if they potty in their panties that is yuky to them.  
When my first decided that she was going to start going to the bathroom again in her pants after we brought the new baby home, we let her wear the diapers again for a bit because really we turned her little world upside down when we brought her sister home.  But after about a month, we got rid of the diapers again and put her in pantys.  
Take your daughter to the store and have her pick out some pretty big girl panties that are expecially for a very very big girl.  Then try and stay home for awhile, when she wakes up in the morning she has to put them on, and you just have to be on her regarding if she has to go potty.  Then at night put a diaper back on her.
My girls were really easy because we just cut the diapers off cold turkey and told them it was time to start wearing panties with princesses on them.  
I always said stuff like you don't want to wear diapers, diapers are for babies.  It really worked.
I think your daughter is going through the new sibbling thing, even though the new baby has been around for a few months.  I know my daughter didn't like it that she was the center of mommy's attention anymore, and therefore she wanted to be a baby.
Its a set back, but she'll work through it.
Thanks!  You're making me feel a lot better about it.  We had the same philosophy for potty training - we quite diapers cold turkey too over a long weekend.  By Tuesday, she was pretty much trained.  We had to use pull ups at night though because she refuses to wear diapers - saying that only babies wear diapers.

Maybe we'll go out and have her get some new underwear - even though we have drawers full already :)

And I know her mistakes bother her - when she does it, she knows it's yucky feeling and starts to whine and cry.  But as soon as we change her clothes, she starts to laugh about it.  So maybe it is an attention thing...poor kid....
I don't have too much advice for going poopies on the potty.  They say that they usually master one or the other first and it just takes time to figure them both out.

For my dd, we just offered a bigger reward for going poops.  Instead of a little sticker, she got a big one.  Instead of 1 M&M, she got 2, etc.  And she's pretty obvious when she's getting ready to go too - so we always did a mad dash to the potty when she was getting ready.
I really think your daughter will be fine in a month or so.  I remember when we were going through it, I felt so bad for my older daughter because she felt like she was neglected..............she wasn't though.  Here we got pregnant again so she could have a playmate and life long friend, and we were causing her issues.  It all worked out, and she loves her sissy now............sometimes.  :)
Make sure when you take your daughter to get panties that you make it a date for you and her only.  Leave the baby with daddy.  Take her to McDonald's or where ever and just make it a special thing for her with her mommy.  

casey's mom - I got lucky on the poopies in the potty.  Our daughters seemed to get that down first with no troubles.  Some do the other first though.
So the rewards work for you?  Didn't with us because our daughters would just keep saying they had to go all the time so they would get the reward.  Drove me nuts.  hehe
Thanks everyone ... and good luck!
my dd was potty trained for almost 2 months. i than started working early mornings and her daddy started otr truck driving.(which meant she had started a new daycare) yup, we are back to square one! she is back in pull ups, but the only way i can get her to go on the potty is to leave her bottom half bare. than she goes right in and goes. I cant take her to daycare and school like this tho, so we end up in the same situation every night when she gets home. yeah im open to ideas also!