Maternal & Child Community
prediabetes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

prediabetes

My son has had foamy urine for several weeks. At the doctors office, a dipstick test was taken and he found a trace of protein and a small amount of sugar. His fasting numbers are between 86 and 106 on the home monitor. His post meals seem to be normal. There is a strong family history of type 2 and 1. I am prediabetic type 2.
We have run a post meal lab after I fed him breakfast and the result was 87. However, I am unsure if the amount of food was equal to the normal ogtt test.
Should I be concerned? What else could cause sugar and protein in a 10 year old boy's urine? He has no symptoms of increased thirst or urination.
Well here's all I know.... if there is sugar in someones urine its because their sugar levels have been high for a couple days or more and their body is looking for a way to expel the sugar, but you say the levels are fine. So I don't know an explanation for that.

As for the protein in urine most doctors won't do anything about that unless protein is seen at least 3 times in someone's urine. Then it indicates there is something wrong with the kidneys.
http://kidneydiseases.about.com/od/proteininurin1/a/Overview0010.htm
There is a site that talks about it.
Good luck.