Maternal & Child Community
pregnancy and eyesight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pregnancy and eyesight

has anyone ever heard of pregnancy effecting your eyesight? i wear contacts and don't have very good vision to begin with, but lately i've noticed everything to be more blurry. i can't imagine my prescription changed overnight, could my pregnancy be the reason? i know it sounds strange, but i was just wondering.
i'm pretty sure pregnancy can affect eyesight. my sister never wore glasses until after her first pregnancy. she started wearing them occasionally, but with each pregnancy she needed to use them more often. now she wears contacts all the time. i would call the eye dr. and schedule appt. to have eyes checked and see if prescription needs to be higher - you don't want to walk around or drive around for that matter if can't see well. good luck!!
sorry didn't mean to post twice.
Blood sugars irregularities can also effect your eye sight. That might not be the case with you but just FYI. :) Make sure to tell your OB.
I was reading on different symptoms of pregnancy last week and i came across something that talked about progesterone effecting your eyesight. When you are pregnant your body produces more obviously. It also was talking about the headaches that can get bad around the 10/11/12wk marker. It said something about the extra hormones that your body is producing plus the placenta is starting to take over causes, sometimes bad, headaches, Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Sometimes I feel like my pregnant mind tends to miss a few things.
how is  your water retention? after i had my son i retained soooo much water my retina almost detached. but i saw lots of black floaters  and i dont know if this is the same as you. id be sure to tell your dr about this as it might indicate something.
Yeah, ditto to what the ladies said with regard to blood volume and pressure changes in the eyeball. People with contacts are more likely to notice the pressure changes as your contacts are a specific fit for your eyes. I wouldn't waste the money on getting new ones while pg, maybe try wearing glasses instead if it becomes too much of an issue. Safety should always be considered right now. I don't notice mine affects driving, but rather reading sometimes (especially the computer screen)

My vision also is terrible (my good eye is 20/600 uncorrected) but the vision changes seem to return to normal after pregnancy.

Andi
Yes, I do believe that it is quite common. It happens to me too! All goes back to normal after the baby is born in most cases. I have read that it has to do with blood flow. You should google it!!

Yes, it REALLY can affect your eyesight. I really think it depends on the person. my vision was very good, this is my 4th pregnancy and they have gotten worse with each one. I'm planning on going to the eye Dr. after I have her, because my vision could still get worse here in these last few weeks. Good luck to you and I hope it corrects itself after you have the baby but mine have not.
I read that the blurred vision is due to increased blood volume and temperary. My eye doc wont change my perscription while pg, but my eye sight has gotten worse continualy since I started wearing contacts, cant say if it was due to my three pregnancies or not.
Yes pregnancy def. changes your eyesight. Mine are so blurry it's hard to read sometimes, so I asked my Dr. and he said it was from water retention and that it will improve after I have the baby.
I have to post this story because I felt sooooo silly when I figured it out!  Towards the end of my pregancy, probably the last 2 months, I was complaining about my eyesight as well.  My baby books said that it can happen so I chalked it up to that.  I kept saying "Man, I hope my eyesight gets better after the baby is born so I don't have to go get a new prescription!"  Anyway, my disposable contacts had worn out their welcome and after putting in a new pair...I discovered the somewhere, somehow over the last few months of my pregnancy I had SWITCHED my contacts by accident!  (I have different Rx for each eye)  Woooops!  I was practically blind because I am a dumb dumb!  :)  BUT yes, pregnancy can effect your vision...just make sure you didn't switch your contacts around.  :)

Amy