Maternal & Child Community
pregnancy and percocet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pregnancy and percocet

hello just wanted to know if any of you ladies might know how safe it is to take a pain killer like percocet when pregnant. I am 37 weeks pg and had a abcess (abscess) on my leg removed the dr. gave me percocet said it was safe. But i am not sure since i am so close to my due date don't want the baby to have problems after birth like withdraw. thank you for your help
As long as you only take the prescribed dose and only when needed, you should be okay. I was given percocet during my last trimester and so far my baby looks fantastic and didn't have any problems : )

Andrea
I pulled a muscle in my back a few weeks ago and my fibroid was acting up and they gave me proproxy...I am currently 38 weeks 3 days.  I know that it is not as strong as percocet. the only thing that it did was lower my baby's heart rate and he/she did not move as much.  The dr said that was to be expected. I am sure they would not give you anything that can be harmful to you or your baby, but if I were you I would just monitor your baby's movements.

gina
Hi All I just wanted to stop in and say Hi!!!  i was hoping to hear that kck delivered safely.  Glad that she did. Iaqm going to go and read who got BFP and where everyone is with TTC and weeks along...   DH and I are feeling better.  It is true everyday the pain gets a little more bareable.  Tomorrow I go for my first check up since DNC.  We have decided that we have one more try in us.  (i've said that a lot of times before....)  But I do not want to turn 40 (OCT) and then regret not trying again.  I think that we are gong to do injectibles and iui.  I really don't have a problem getting PG. just staying that way. I am going togo now and find questins to ask my Dr. Does anyone know anything about heparin?  Also what is the test to see if my body is rejecting our baby?  I'll check in late

Blessing to all  Peace Lynn
Let us know what you find out at the doc!!
Well I am back from the Dr.  and everything is back to mormal, noraml smooth cervix, normal size uterus.... It is so surreal to be here typing this and my pregnany is completely over.  But I am better today than yesterday and tomorrow I will be even better.

DH and I are officially once again TTC.  With this last pregnancy we weren't trying. I had given up.  Well now we are TTC again.  Please keep us in your prayers, as youall know all of you are in mine.  

Talk to you all later   Blessings Lynn
Hey  Yes we did send the fetus out for testing.  I should have the results in about 2 weeks. I have been tested for everything under the sun and everything is normal with me except for this pesky little miscarriage thing.  My dr. said today that if it comes back with a chromosome problem then my next PG should go to term.  I've heard that before.  Anyway  I will keep you all posted.  

HAve a Great Day everyone.  Lynn
Lynn-
Although it was very sad to hear of your m/c, it's good to hear you are ttc again. Did they test your fetus to find the cause of your m/c's?
I am 34 weeks pregnant and have been prescribed by my ob/gyn Percocet and Xanax throughout my pregnancy and they said that the baby may be born addicted, however, I wasnt told that she may be addicted until recently and I'm very very upset.  I have a herniated disc and a terrible history of panic and anxiety and this is why I'm on the medication and have been for a couple years.  I also have a 1 year old and I was taking Lortab during that pregnancy but she never went through any withdraws.  I didnt plan this pregnancy and I found out very late.  The doctors said because the pain has gotten worse they wanted to put me on percocet and I'm not sure if the percocet will have the same affect as the lortab for the baby.  I have never seen a baby go through withdraw so I'm crying everyday hoping she does not so I decided on to taper myself down although I know I dont have much time.  Has anyone been through a baby being addicted and if so can you still take your baby home?? thank you
I have been on percocet for 2 yrs due to failed back surgery. I am now 5 months pregnant and have had worries. Both my docs asure everything will be fine the doc who gives me the percs and my ob doc. But I still have worries but i cant stop taking it. They told me it would be worse trying to stop taking it right now than to continue taking it.
I have been using pecocet (percocet) and xanax and have drank small amounts of wine since I have been pregnant. I am somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks along and I am wondering how safe this is for the baby and myself. What if any are the possible complications that can occur from this?
I am 21 weeks pregnant and have been on percocet for about 2 years now due to a back injury. My doctor told me that it would be fine, i also brought it up to my ob-gyn doctor and they didnt say too much about it. Does it harm the fetus and can you have any legal problems when the baby is born? Also will the baby have withdrawl (withdrawal) and can that harm the baby?
um i wasnt on ANY medication during my pregnancy. however after labor they gave me percocet for the pain. and they knew i was breastfeeding and i even asked if it was safe and they said yes its totally safe to take while breastfeeding.

i hope that helps
This is all I could find to help you, good luck!
This is an article from the mayo clinic. This is one of the only real medical sources - outside your doctor's office - that I would trust. In addition to any national american or worldwide resource, such as: the world health organization, the mayo clinic or the american academy pediatrics. Just google them for more information if you need to. Here is the link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR602297

This link talks about the effects of narcotics on the fetus and neonate after birth when used in breast feeding. As far as I can tell from my reading there are no proven birth defects caused by these products. The main problem is the chance of addition/withdrawal after birth. Which can be as unpleasant for them as it is for you. However, during my last pregnancy I had an epidural (that failed), a spinal, and low grade narcotics after the c-section and my child had no problems other that drowsiness. I think that in many cases the fear of what is going to happen overpowers the use of this medicine group. It is safe and effective when monitored by a doctor and taken as directed.

I am in extreeme pain right now with my 2nd, I am at 26 weeks and have back and leg pain so severe that I cannot walk right, cry out in pain, and am in tears for much of my day. I have been told to take tylenol. which I find insulting to my education and needs as a patient. I have taken - in order and by direction from the ob-gyn office: tylenol, extra strength tylenol, motrin (which is KNOWN to cause delivery problems), massage, support belt, hot and cold packs, and chiropractic. I was then told that there were no other options for me, that i will have to wait it out until the baby is born. This of course spawned my research for what the problem was with pain relief. There does not appear to be any defect harm from the studies shown. The only problem is possible, that is POSSIBLE addition for the child - and you of course depending on the length if time you take it. But in a standard surgery sense it would be 1-2 weeks after the procedure and then the meds would taper off. This does not generally turn one into a raving addict but may make a few days uncomfortable towards the end of the progression/weening stage.

If you can stand the pain and do not have other obligations or children - hey sit around and hurt. But otherwise you need to sit down and be honest with yourself. How are you going to get through the pain if the other routes have not helped? Do not let fear cloud your judgement - it is no different than the 15-30 sheets of paper the OB office had you sign about all the possible problems that had a .00000001 % chance of happening to you or the baby no matter what you chose to do or how you wanted to give birth. In the end it is your call to take the pills or not. I would take them and leave them in the care of a doctor or spouse who could help be sure you are regulating them properly if you have concerns on that respect. There is no right answer - just what is best for you.
sorry I cannot find a way too edit my post. I am 36 weeks not 26 weeks pregnant.
I just found out that I am expecting...and I am THRILLED!  We've been married 3 months, and I just got my first positive pregnancy result yesterday.  I"ve been in to confirm w/ my doc too!  I'm so ecstatic.  But I am scared...I take percocet for horrible right knee pain.  I'm 34...have had 10 knee surgeries...including surgery to break my leg & realign my knee joint, bone grafts, and cartilage transplants.  I need a knee replacement but they say I'm too young...so they stuck me in pain magt.  So...not I know my body is hooked on the percocets as I take them regularly...as my pain magt. dr. prescribes.  I see my GYN tomorrow, to discuss my  meds while pregnant (I also have to take 2 blood pressure meds as I have renal artery stenosis and ultimately have high BP).  Anyway...my general practitioner told me yesterday that my GYN is NOT on board w/ being on the percocet while pregnant (and it sounds like I may have to switch BP meds too).  My pain magt dr. told me that it's not an ideal situation to be on percocet while pregnant...but that you can't just come off of it either.....and that from his experience, it would not hurt my baby in the least if I stayed on it.  He said there may possibly be slight addiction issues when born, but that the reality is, I may need to stay on the pain meds.  

I'm nervous that my GYN is going to yank me from these....since he's not a pain magt doctor, he isn't probably as sensitive to the reasons as to why I'm on the drugs and why I have been on pain meds for several years.  I have a call into my pain magt. dr. too....who knew I was trying to get pregnant.  I'm assuming both drs. will work together on this...I hope!

I guess I have all sorts of questions...sorry this msg is all over the place...but I'm SCARED!  

What if the GYN yanks me off the percocet?  When I don't take the med, my BP rises...and I already have BP issues.  I don't want to have a stroke during this pregnancy!  Can they leave me on percocet (I take 1 pill 4x/day - 10/325) throughout the pregnancy?  It won't make my baby's heart slow down enough that it'll stop will it?

Does anyone know...do I have time to try to ween off this in the first trimester?  I would assume it's even more important to be off meds like this in the 2nd/3rd trimester than it is in the 1st?  Is that a correct assumption?  

I have so many questions...the pregnancy is all new to me.....and so I have all sorts of questions there.  And now to think about all the medication issues.....this raises even more questions.  I just need to talk to someone that has maybe been on percocet at the time they found out they were pregnant....how did things play out for you?  

My general practitioner thought I might not be able to be weaned off Percocet in time for the baby's birth....she said it takes a very long time.  Anyone have any experience w/ this?  

I"m so sorry that I am all over the place here.  I just need someone that has maybe been where I am now...and can offer some advice.....and maybe some comforting words.  I don't want to harm my baby!  I don't want to increase the risk of losing this pregnancy.  We've wanted this for so long!!!!  And I don't want to do something that is unhealthy for me either.....I need to be as healthy as I can for this baby.  

Does ANYONE have ANY advice?!  I would be so grateful!  

Does anyone know any other websites/message boards that might help me answer some of these questions and get the info. I need?

I would appreciate any input/advice/words of comfort anyone has to offer!  I'm so excited to be pregnant....I can't even tell you how full of joy I am.  But I'm also scared...that between the BP meds and the percocet (if they try to yank me off of it), that my BP might get so out of control that my health is jeopardized.

I'm stressing...can you tell!?  :)  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS AND OFFER YOUR ADVICE.  I REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE IT

I do know that it is extremely unsafe to take any kind of medication during your first trimester, not so much the second and third.  This is because all of your babies major organs are developing.

My doctor has prescribed Percocet to me for my headaches since I've been pregnant.  My baby looks healthy as can be, no problems.  Babies can handle a LOT more than anyone gives them credit for.  As with most things (aside from major street drugs) it's worse to quit completely than to just keep taking what you're taking, maybe lowering the dosage if you can.  I wouldn't worry, like I said we don't give babies enough credit for how much they can handle.  And withdrawals should be gone within a few days, pretty much by the time you leave the hospital.  =)
    I am concerned that women reading this blog may be lulled into a false sense of security.  For those who are contemplating using percocet during labor, it may cause your baby respiratory problems (read the label)...and the effects of use during pregnancy and breastfeeding are "unknown."
    I am a juvenile attorney and have represented the children of mothers who used drugs (legal and illegal) during pregnancy.  Although your baby may appear physically perfect after birth, the "side-effects" of drug use may appear later.    Learning disabilities may not appear until a child is in school. Think of a continuun...early pregnancy is probably worse than later pregnancy...the more you use the higher the chances of damage.  Perhaps your child may have difficulty reading,  but if it is at the wrong time, your child may suffer a severe disability or may die.  As to  alcohol, if you are a fetus and your mother has a glass of wine in one hand and a meth pipe in the other, you'd better hope she picks the meth pipe!  From my experience, alcohol is the most dangerous drug.
   I am concerned that the information of this blog could be seen as permission.  Please error on the side of caution and try non-narcotic means of pain control whenever possible.  Speak to your pharmacist...investigate...question...trust your instincts.  
P.S.  I have seen babies go through withdrawal.  It is the saddest sight in this world!

I have been on long term pain management for the past few years.  I broke my back, as well as had several herniated and bulging discs and I have degenerative disc disease (meaning the discs in my back are slowly degenerating).  I have had 2 back surgeries- lamenectomy (in which they remove the herniated or bulging disc) and 1 fusion (in which they place Herrington Rods in the back along the spine to stabalize the spine and discs).  Both surgeries were emergency, but neither help to take away the issue of the pain which in fact was made much worse AFTER the surgeries.  So...I have been put on long term pain management with the use of Percocet 10/325 - 5 daily.  
I am now 13 weeks pregnant.  And like many others that have posted on here, I would have initially been quite worried about the effects on the fetus, and eventually the effects on my newborn.  However, I went into my pregnancy with a lot more information and education into this issue.  I have worked as a Child Welfare Caseworker, Addiction Specialist, and with children with birth defects from drug and alcohol use.
The truth is this:
Although it is not ideal for a pregnant women to take ANY medication except for the "two T's" (Tylenol and Tums) or prenatal vitamins, it is often neccessary for the health of the mother to take other medications.  Women with heart conditions HAVE to take heart meds, women with thyroid conditions must take thyroid meds.  Obviously most people do not see pain medications as the "same thing" as medications for heart conditions and thyroid disease conditions.  However, what most people do not know, is that it can be just as harmful to the fetus and the mother if the mother is in severe agony and pain during pregnancy.  Stress on the mother equals stress on the fetus.  If a mother has physical disabilites or issues that cause significant pain, and she is on a pain management program that requires use of narcotics, it is just as harmful to the fetus for the mother to not take the required medications to stop or assist in pain management.
Just as depression medications and anxiety medications are often found to be required during pregnancy as the effects on the mother would be worse WITHOUT the medications than with, it is the same with pain management.  
The problem is that most physicians (and other people) who have never had pain management issues in their own lives (or pain issues with their own bodies), do not have an understanding of how serious it is for the patient who is on pain management.  It is a LACK of understanding that makes pain management and narcotic use such a "hot topic" that always seems to be looked upon in a negative viewpoint.  And clearly, a few "bad apples" (people who use narcotics and pain medications for "getting high", not for actual pain issues) have given the issue of narcotics used as a pain management technique a bad name.  
The best thing an expectant mother can do is continue to use the medications as directed by physician and/or pain management specialist, and try to take the least amount possible while not letting the pain get out of control.  For instance, if you are prescribed "1 (ONE) TABLET BY MOUTH EVERY 4 (FOUR) TO 6 (SIX) HOURS MAXIMUM OF 5 PER DAY" try to take it every 6 (six) instead of 4 (four) hours which lessens the amount in your system.  However, DO NOT let the pain "get away" from you (which means that you let the pain get severe) which is where stress on the mother and fetus will take place.
Yes, it is possible that use of narcotics during pregnancy can cause some withdrawl (withdrawal) issues for a newborn.  And yes, it is difficult to watch a baby go through these issues.  However, AGAIN, it is sometimes neccessary for the health of the mother and the child for the mother to remain on medication during pregnancy.  We all want the very best for our babies.  But for some of us that does mean we have to take medications that ideally we would not have to take.  However, if you truly need medications for whatever reason, you should not be made to feel guilty by people who do not understand the reasoning for the use of such medications.    
I'm so glad to have found this group as I'm struggling with this exact issue.  I'm a 38 y/o Registered Nurse who is trying to conceive my first child.  I'm treated by a pain mgmt Doctor for osteoarthritis, degenerative disk disease and slight disk herniation.  I'm really hoping I'm able to get pregnant (doing IUI now) but am scared for how I will manage my back pain while pregnant.  I'm taking percocet 10/325 5-7 per day (as it is perscribed)  After reading these posts I do have hope that I will not be treated like a drug addict for trying to control my daily pain while pregnant.  Referencing my medical.nursing knowledge I do want to make a few things clear after reading all these posts.  1)  It is ALWAYS better for the baby not to take meds 2)  You must speak with a Doctor who specializes in pain management - many docs are still in the dark regarding this 3)  If you and your Doctor decide it is better for you to continue taking narcotic pain relievers and you take them for any length of time during your pregnancy you are dependant on them and YOUR BABY WILL BE DEPENDANT on them when they are born- notice I did not say addicted .  Of course this is not ideal but there are things that can be done to minimize it.  You have to realize this and get over the guilt ; get the medical facts from your doctor.  The two most important things are speak to your physcian about these things and be totally honest with them and do not stop taking narcotics abruptly as you will go through withdrawal and that will have serious effects for you and your baby.  
Does taking percocet increase your chances of getting pregnant.?
I am perscribed & trying to get pregnant.
We have tried for awhile now & i'm not sure if it's failed because of the percocet or if one or both of us is infertile.
Thank you.
Nicole.
what ever happened with you and your baby?  Curious..in same boat.  Thanks
Xanax is a class D drug which is harmful to the baby. I was on xanax too and stopped taking them when I was informed by my dr. of the risks. I have been a long time sufferer of severe anxiety disorders and have relatively been able to cope without. If I can go with out them anyone can:}The percocet is not as dangerous if taken properly.