Maternal & Child Community
pregnancy and second trimester miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have had 3 second trimester miscarriages.  On at 16 weeks one at 17 weeks and the most recent at 18 weeks on march 21.were all boys but this one was different.  He was alive for just a few moments but that wasn't like the other two.  My water had broken too soon with the first two this time i went to the doctors because i thought i was having contractions.  They told me everything was fine and i went home.  Only to find out later that night i would end up back in in labor and to have my water break.  they have run lots of tests only to find everything is normal.  I saw a maternal fetal specialist with this last pregnancy and they are now sending me to hershey medical center in hershey PA to see there specialists.  I was wondering if anyone has ever had anything like this happen and looking for some ideas on how to have a normal pregnancy.  Also looking for tests that may be done to find out what may be wrong.  I have already had several blood tests, thyroid test, diabetes, and several other all is normal.  please help me and my babies..
So so so sorry for your losses.  I don't know much about this but I did suffer an early M/C in Jan.  Did they rule out incompetent cervic?
I am so so sorry for the loss of your 3 boys.  Have they looked into incompetant (sp) cervix???  misshaped uterus?  
Good luck, I hope this never happens to you again..
Staci
I have been told my cervix is fine.  I don't dialate my water breaks or in the last case I had contractions for a day and a half they told me thats probably why my water broke.  I am going for a hysterosalpingogram.  They shoot dye into my uterus to check the shape.  Thank you for the thoughts..we greatly appreciate it
Yeah a Hysterosalpingogram will see the inside shape of your uterus.  I lost my pregnancy at 10 weeks and they thought i might have a Bicornuate uterus.  Sometimes if your uterus is heart shaped the baby will implant in the smaller part and not have room to grow which will cause contractions.  Luckily if your uterus has a septum preventing the baby to grow they can go in and remove it.  
I really hope that they can fix whatever is wrong..  again, i am so sorry for your losses..
Sometimes your water breaks b/c your cervix painlessly opens, the bag balloons out and breaks, then the cervix shrinks back closed..hence someone might not think that you dilated at all prior to the water breaking.

Certainly sounds like some form of incompetent cervix or other uterine anomaly.  Hope they figure out what's going on soon.
I am from PA.  I have been tested for the blood disorders and I have Leiden Factor Five but I only have one bad gene they say that can cause no harm.  Just in case I was on 1 baby aspirin a day throughout my pregnancy.  They say they will try Heparin next time.  That's odd that your cervix can close back up I wonder that very well may be the problem.  Thanks I will say something to the Dr. about possible stitching my cervix just to make sure next time.  I am anxious to ttc again but want all these tests out of the way and hopefully kow whats going on first.  Thanks for the advise keep it comming I have lots to talk to my Dr. about now.
I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through.  That's just heartbreaking.  I have a friend that had 3 m/cs in her 2nd trimester.  It turned out that she has a clotting disorder. It doesn't sound like this is what you have since your water breaks.  I just wanted to throw it out there as a possibilty though.  I understand that clotting disorders are a pretty common cause of late m/cs.  I hope that everything turns out OK and that you don't have to go through anything like this again.  Best of luck to you.
i'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my son at 21 weeks on November. i started dialating (wasn't sure if i was having contractions being my first). was fine one day and two days later i had dialated which made them think incompetent cervix. but you said you didn't have that. but come to find out i have a blood clotting disorder. there were abnormal clots in my uterus and a few got caught behind the placenta to put me into labor. have you been tested for those? a thrombolphilia work up is what you'd ask for if you haven't been tested. how about bacterial vaginosis? been tested for that? again i'm so sorry for your loss. and sure hope they find some reason for you so you can go on to carry a healthy child. i have a friend in medical school in hershey. she says that they are excellent. so you are in good hands. good luck to you.

I am wondering if some one knows about what tests I should get done to find out the cause or water break. Or if some one has had similar experience and what should be my course of action.

I had a water break in my second trimester at 17 weeks.  I am 35 years old and have uvities which is the auto immune disorder of the eyes. The only other thing that the radiologist told me is that I have a lot of fibroids, and the biggest one was 6 cm in length. One of them is in the posterior as well.

In the first trimester I did have some bleeding but that was diagnosed coming from a polyp that was right at the cervix. That bleeding turned to small spotting and that was all of it.

Then during my last phase of the 17 week I noticed that discharge was different than what I was having before, it was more watery. I immediately went to my ob/gyn and they checked me using the litmus paper for the ph, the color of the paper was yellow and the ob/gyn said that all was fine and I might have some yeast infection. But since I was not having any symptoms of yeast infection she did not prescribe me any medicines. She also did a vaginal exam and said all was well. That same night I felt a gush of water and my pad was totally totally soaked. I immediately called the urgent care and they said since I was examined today I can wait till the next day and it was not an emergency.

The next day I again went to my ob/gyn and she did the same exam again. This time the litmus paper was bluish green. The doc also looked under the microscope but she could not see any amniotic fluid on the slide. She used the ultra sound machine to listen to the heart beat and all was fine the baby
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I lost my first 10 years ago when i was 29 weeks. It was so very hard. I had to go throught labor for 15 hours knowing that My baby was going to be still born. I've waited 10 long years and haven't been able to get preg and here I am at 25 weeks and everything is going ok. I wish you the best and don't give up. Keep me in your prayers as I reach that stage again and am very scred i'll lose agin.
Hi wish2Bamama

My case is the same as yours, water broke thrice in the 17th wk, then twice in the 16th wk. I have yet to attempt a 4th time. Did you have any success? If yes, can you tell me your cause?

I had two 18 week miscarriages both boys.  This was a devastating loss, I really understand.  My water began to leak slowly the first time and the second time it broke quickly.  The second time I had a perionatologist but it changed nothing.  They did declare a incompetent cervix but the circlosh (sp) didn't help. This was in '02 & '03 and my husband and I would like to try again now.  I am looking into testing and others who have been though this.