Maternal & Child Community
pregnancy and severe anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pregnancy and severe anxiety

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum so I will post in a few different places.  I am 26 years old and 5 weeks pregnant.  I get massive panic attacks.  Mostly when I drive.  I can usually control the panic just by having my xanax of clonopin with me.  I only take the pills if I am having a really bad day and I can feel the panic building.  Ususally this is only 4-5 times a month.  Since I found out I am pregnant the anxiety and panic attacks are getting much worse because I don't think I am suppossed to take any benzodiazepams.  The attacks are so bad I can't breath.  I have done alot of research (aka googling hehe) and there is alot of conflicting information out there.  Does anyone have any PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with taking antianxiety, specifically xanax or clonopin during pregnancy?  I don't want opinions or judgement please!  I have tremendous guilt over this.  I would love to hear some personal experiences good and/or bad.  Give it to me straight. PLEASE!
Hi jules! I too have severe anxiety attacks and take both klon and xan along with lexapro. My doctor tried to convince me to continue with the lexapro while trying to conceive and while pregnant bc research shows that the anxiety is far more damaging to the baby that the drug. He told me to avoid benzos while preg. Talk to your doc and see about getting on a stabilizer like lexapro if you're not already. I hope i helped :)