Maternal & Child Community
pregnant congested/stuffy nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pregnant congested/stuffy nose

Good morning,Well today I turn 9 wks.And have been congested with a stuffy nose for 2 days.I'm always gagging & feel nausiated.Cant eat & (sorry TMI)have a lot of flem (phlegm) =(
Its been 7 yrs since my last preg. what can I take? If not meds any home remidies not harmful to baby? Thanks Adriana
I called the Dr. a couple of days ago because of the same thing.  The nurse told me I could take sudafed, BUT I would check with your Dr. because I think you have to be a certain number of weeks before you can take it.  I will be 18 weeks tomorrow.  Good luck and hope ya feel better!  I know I am sooo over being sick and I hope it goes away soon!
If it is just congetstion, try this. Put a big pan of water on the stove, get it boiling. Turn off burner, or move from stove to be safer. Then take a bath towel and lean over the steaming pan, place the towel over the back of your head as to trap the steam in your face. This MAY help decongest you.
I've had sinus problems for most of my pregnancy so far. Not just a cold, but pure sinus problems due to the swelling of all the membranes because of hormones running rampant. There are nights when I have been unable to sleep due to stuffiness, constantly blowing my nose (felt like something was in there, but nothing would ever come out!), and nose bleeds.

These are the things I've used to help get relief:

Humidifier every night (I also use Vicks Vapor liquid with my humidifier, which you can usually find in the humidifier isle at the store)

Vicks Vapor Cream (under my nose, to help clear me up)

Tylenol Sinus (this was OK'd by my doctor...wich pretty much ANYTHING Tylenol Brand is OK to use during pregnancy)

Simply Saline- This is a great nose spray to help clear nasal passages and moisturize. Safe to use while pg. I use it before going to bed, and then usually once more during the day, just to keep moisturization in my nose.

My doctor also prescribed me Flonase (which I never got filled, since the Simply Saline worked for me)

Benadryl- I used this in the early stages (at night) so I could get a good night's sleep, too.

I once bought these effervescent tablets from Bath and Body Works for when you have congestion. I don't know if they still carry them, but they worked well. You drop one into a bowl of very hot water, put a towel over your head (like the poster abover said) and you breathe in the vapors. They had eucalyptis oil or something like that so it would REALLY clear your head. If the store doesn't carry them anymore, you mayb be able to find them on Ebay. (they were an Aromatherapy product)

Anyway, hope this helps you...

Chloroseptic Spray is on my safe list of meds from the doctor.
If it is just a dry throat, I'd buy some cherry Luden's (I buy the bags, not the small boxes) or some peppermint candy.

If Chloroseptic spray is ok, I'm pretty sure the lozenge version is ok, too. They always have a great "numbing" effect.

As for congestion, look for anything Tylenol brand (Tylenol Cold for example). Ask the pharmacist about your choice, if you have doubts. They usually have a book in the pharmacy (if they don't already know the answer) where they can look up the active ingredient and see if it is safe to take while pregnant. I think the main thing is to avoid anything that is "Multi-Symptom" that includes a LOT of active ingredients in one pill.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better!
What about for a sore throat.  I have a reallky sore throat and a little congestion.  Any suggestions for that?
Yes like the PP, I was gonna suggest saline solution, it's nothing more than salt water so it can't be bad
I have the same problems with my sinus's.  If you don't want to do the pot of water over the stove and towel, turn the shower on hot water and let it run, then stand or sit in the bathroom.  That's what I've found I've had to do every morning now that I'm pregnant.