Maternal & Child Community
pregnant-questions about cystic hygroma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pregnant-questions about cystic hygroma

Hi I am 19 almost 20 years old and about a month and a half ago I found out that I am pregnant for the first time. Then a few days ago an ultrasound confirmed that I was pregnant with identical twins and that i am about 11 weeks along. Unfortunantly, on one of the babies (BABY B) they found an abnormal mass on the back of its neck and head. The other baby is perfectly fine and absolutly normal. The doctor wont make an actual diagnosis until i meet with a specialist. But she did say that it could and most likely be cystic hygroma. I have reasearched it on the internet and found alot of scary things about it. Now I am absolutly terrified about what is going to happen to one of my babies. Does anyone know any good things about cystic hygroma?? Am I going to have terminate that baby?, and if so will i have to terminate both or could the healthy one still survive? They share the same placenta but are in different sacs. My husband and I are so scared please any help will be greatly appriated.
I have some info on the cystic thing. Many women had had baby with that and had there babys then was removed. Sometimes some of them have developed Turner Syndrome. SO I will pray for and u do not have to terminate your baby!!!
It really depends on what mass it is. Sometimes they might have to go in while the baby is still in u and do the surgery in order to save the baby. There is one called cervical teratoma look it up on the internet. When you look up cystic hydroma look under yahoo and look under ( cystic hydroma on neck of fetus )hope this helps!!
thank you very much!!
Hi Momma2b,

I am 33 years old and I became pregnant on my 3rd IVF transfer.  My husband and I were so thrill to find out that we were expecting indentical twins.  On my 10th week of pregnancy my doctor saw a cystic hygroma on the back of one of the babies kneck.  My doctor told us that seing in that in the fetus that she didn't think that the baby would live longer and if the fetus with the cystic hygroma died that the other one would also because they were also both sharing one placenta but were in their own amniotic sac.  Well, I kept having weekly u/s to see how the cystic hygroma was, if it was growing, and also if the fetus was still alive.  We prayed and prayed and talked to God and told him that if he knew that the babies were going to be sick and suffer in this world for him to please take them because me and DH could not make the choice of terminating the pregnancy, after trying for so long.  Baby A didn't show anything that made the doctors think that she had Turners, but baby B the cystic hygroma kept growing.  At 17 weeks I had an amnio done and the results came back that I was carrying Girls and that only one had Turner Syndromes and the other one was normal.  The doctors than told us that after following up with my pregnancy that they saw that they babies were also in no risk of also having Twin twin transfusion syndrome, thats something else that you have worry about when carrying twins. The doctors had given us some hope that they said that if baby B were to pass away that baby A would live, that just when I had the baby that the other baby would just be attached to the placenta.  Well, after accepting what God had gave us, we were so happy and exciting about starting to fix the girls room, we were picking everything, the color, what to put in the room and everything.  My husband would talk to the babies everyday and would give them each one of them two kisses.  He was so excited knowing that he was going to become a daddy and we would just lay in bed and just start picturing our girls coming into our room and just laying in bed with us and just hugging us and kissing us.  Me and my husband had picked the names that they would have.. (well actually he did and I just liked the names he chose) their names were going to be: Kaylah & Kahmeel.   Well, on Dec. 1, I went in for my regular u/s, I was 23rd weeks pregnant and they saw that both my babies were dead.  They both didn't have a heart beat.  My heart was crushed, I couldn't beleive that all the appointments and test that were done to me and the babies, that the doctors didn't really have a reason why my babies died.  I knew that there was going to be a chance of the sick baby dying, but not the other one.  All my doctors told us was that maybe when the sick baby died that they other one wasn't strong enough and she died also.  This has being the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my entire life.  My husband is coping with it a little bit better than me.  He keeps telling me to be strong and that God had a reason why he took our girls from us.  They took my babies out last friday Dec. 9th.  They put me to sleep and they said that the process took about 3o minutes, when I walk up my babies were not in me anymore.  Right now, me and my husband are going to take a break for a little bit, and maybe we can decide later if we would like to try again on starting a family.  I hope and pray to God that your two beautiful babies make it through full term and you get to hold your babies in your arms and take care of them.  At first when I found out about turner syndromes I was so scared because I read what kind of symptoms my babie could have, but after seing how calm my husband was and how he never talked about what our daughter had and how she might live her life, all he did was love our babies, kiss them everynight and talked to them, I realize that what ever God was going to give us that we were ready for it.  But, right now our girls are up in heaven, they are two beautiful angels that God needed.  If you really want your babies, be strong and always have faith in God.  Love your babies and talked to them and let them know how much you love them.  God Bless you and your two beautiful babies.
Hi I also forgot to tell you that since the babies are sharing one placenta that there is no way the doctors can go in and just take the sick baby out, they would be able to do it only if both babies were in their own placenta.  I know this is a very scary moment because I lived it.  Just know that if you are caring girls that the baby may end up having turner syndrome.  I found a few websites regarding Turners and it was very informative.  A lot of girls that have Turners do not show it at all, but some due, they may have a webbed Kneck (thick kneck) and be very short in height, they may grow to be 4'9, but they can take hormone shots so they can grow a few more inches.  They can be infertile, may have heart problems, kidney problems.  I first cried when I read all of this, but just seing my girls growing in me, and seing how much they were just dancing inside my belly and just twirling around, just made me love them and want them more. They were two little lifes that were put in me to take care off.  They didn't know what was going on with them... they were just enjoying each other, I saw that they were playing with each other.  I thank God that he let me be a mother to my beautiful girls for the 23 wks they lived in me, me and my husband would've loved it if it would've being for a life time, but we know that God had his reasons why he took our girls.  Please let me know if you want the sites I found regarding turners.  May God Bless you and your two little miracles.
I recently found out that my baby has a cystic hygroma.  Unfortunately everything I've read has been bad news.  The doctors told me that my chances of even delivering the child if I continued the pregnancy was very slim, and that if I did deliver the child that there was a zero chance of the child being born without a major defect or chomosonal disorder.  My chances for miscarriage and stillbirth were very high, and the main reason they gave for that was because the hygroma puts so much pressure on the baby that it eventually puts a major strain on the baby's heartbeat, etc.  I wish I had better news for you.  It was very hard for me to hear.  I just found out last week and sat there hysterical crying and in complete shock.  My faith is what gets me through this situation.  Whatever you decide to do my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Good Luck,
Patrice
I am 13 weeks pregnant with identical twins. two weeks ago we went for a 3-D ultrasound (for a different reason altogether, i had radioactive idione thryoid treatment 6 months before becoming pregnant) and there was fluid beneath the scalp and neck in baby B (baby A seems to be okay so far) they thought it was the twin to twin connection. but today we went back again and now the perinatalist is saying that its Cystic Hygroma. I am having the amnio done on thursday per his recommendation. I read all of youre guys post and couldnt beleive that other people are going through this too. Is there any chance of a good outcome? The twins share the same placenta but different sacs. I dont know anything about this and would like to know alot more. What can happen? if both babies live, what would the outcome be for Baby B? (i.e. what kind of problems could he have?) When i look this up they keep mentioning Turner's disease..what is that? My husband and i have so many questions and we just have to keep waiting for the answers, its getting really hard. How often do you have to get the ultrasounds? The first time we went Baby B's heartrate was 170 which is high, now its lowered to 150..did this happen to anyone else? i would appreciate any answers that i can get, i keep thinking of more and more everytime i leave the drs office.
ps i wish i had answers for you too but i dont have any at all. I am waiting for my regular ob to call me back and maybe he can explain things better to me and i can share what he says with you. Have you seen a perinatalist yet? thats where we go now for the ultrasounds and who will be doing the amnio. I know what you and your husband are going through..its really hard but we keep trying to think positive.I hope that you get some anwers soon..i know i feel like the waiting is never ending right now, that i just want to know something, anything at all. We are scared about the amnio too cause this early theres a higher risk for miscarraige (miscarriage) and then with twins, the risks is even greater.I dont know, i wish i had some advice to give you but since we are going through the same thing, its hard to give. I hope that everything turns out okay for you.
Hi..

I wish I could tell you that the babies are going to be ok, but only God knows if your babies are going to make it through this.  I know you must have 101 questions about whats going on with baby B.  I know that if the baby ends up having Turner syndrome that that means that you are carrying girls, because only girls get Turner's.  With the amnio they will see if both babies have it or only baby B, and than they will know what stage of Turner's the baby will have.  I had my amnio done at 17wks and my baby was missing all of the X's on the pairs, so she would've had Full blown Turners. Me and my husband were ok with that because to us our baby was still perfect.  If you decide to keep going with your pregnancy, there is a high risk that the baby or babies may die in you, or just the one with the cystic hygroma.  My doctors had told us that if the baby with the turners were to die that the other baby was going to be able to make it, but they were wrong.  You can see a million doctors but only GOD knows if your babies are suppose to come into this world or just go and be guardian angels.  My babies died at 23wks, I keep constantly saying why didn't I tell them to do this, how come they didn't tell me this.. just a lot of why's... I kept saying to myself, why didn't my babies make it to the 24wks and like that they would've being able to save my other baby.  But I have read stories that when babies are born that premature that they may suffer and end up dying or being born with a lot of problems when they grow up.  God must have known that thats what it would've happend to baby A thats why he took both my girls.  I started going to weekly ultrasounds from week 19 of my pregnancy.. I remember that the first thing I would always tell the tech. was to show me the babies hearts because I wanted to know if they were still alive... I would be in peace everytime I saw their little hearts flickering in the monitor.  I know that sometimes the cystic hygromas just disappear.  I hope I was able to answer a couple of your questions... if you have any other questions please let me know..  You and your babies are in my thoughts..

Mom to two beautiful angels - Kaylah & Kahmeel..
Just to clarify to the origional poster: A CH does not mean Turner's Syndrome. There are many reasons why your baby could have this issue and I'm sure your doctor(s) will suggest tests such as amnios to figure out why. If you want to read more about TS because it was brought up here, there is a decent "non-medical" explaination on this site: http://www.turnerspregnancy.com/During%20Pg.htm. However, don't assume TS because honestly there are many reasons why a fetus might have a CH.

To the TS identical twin pregnancy folk: I'm amazed to see at least two or more people who went through the same scarey situation I am currently dealing with Turners in identical twins. I am in week 22 and an ultrasound yesterday confirmed they are both still alive so far. My next ultrasound is Tuesday and I'm petrified.
Hi I am sorry that you are going through this tough time.. you must be having a hard time trying to enjoy your pregnancy and dealing with this situation.  Do both girls have turners? do they/she have a CH on her neck?  What stage of Turner's does the baby have?  What are the doctors telling you.
Heya silvee7161!

Only one of my girls has Turner's. She has CH, Hydrops and acities (spelling?) all diagnosed as "serious" in the 1st trimester. We were told she might live about 2-3 weeks. However we had some good news yesterday at an ultrasound that indicates (for the second time) that those symptoms are almost definitly resolving by themselves. The doctor's are now saying we *might* be raising twins after all and everyone.... doctors, genetics experts, our family... we are all in shock.

When this started, I found a discussion group for TS pregnancies here if you are interested: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-Pregnancy/

Most of my what has been happening to us is there. Also, there are a bunch of supportive folks with information and stories of their own. Everyone is different but I find talking with people who went through or are going through similar situations has helped.

I am so happy to hear your good news..Congratulations!  Thanks for the group, I will check it out and see who I meet.  
God bless you and your two beautiful babies..
Momma2be- I am sorry about your news. I really can't offer any good words on Hygromas except that I have heard from others that they can go away. If that happens, the survival rate increases; however, it does not mean that your baby still may not have something wrong with it.What are your next steps? Are you going to have an amnio or any other testing?

My name is Amy. I am 15 weeks pregnant with mine and my DH's first. I went in for my first u/s at 13 weeks pg, only to verify how far along I was. My pregnancy had been going great so far. Well, they found a cystic hygroma and sent me to some perinatologists. To make a long story short, I had a CVS and our baby girl has been diagnosed with Turners Syndrome. I am continuing my pregnancy as long as God will allow and pray that his will be done. But, I really hope he intends to heal her. I know she will of course have Turners Syndrome but, I really hope her hygroma will go away. They also noticed some issues with her heart and lungs but, since she was so underdeveloped and small, they can't tell us exactly what was wrong, only that they did not look normal.

Silvee- I am so sorry about your experience with your 2 baby girls. I can't imagine how hard that would be to go through all that to get pg and lose them :( So sorry.
Patrice- I'll be praying for you to have peace with the news of your little one. Are you going to be having any testing done?

Adele- I am also sorry to hear about your baby. The first time I heard my baby's heartbeat, it was 174.. the next time was a week later, it was around 165. The next time was when i went in for my level II u/s, the next day and it was 189 :O. Yesterday, I had a follow up visit (been 2 weeks since I last heard the heartbeat) it was 155. So, it can vary.. I don't think it necessarily means anything is wrong.. maybe the baby was just getting through a hard summersault workout :)

Dee- What wonderful news you have recieved! I pray that both your girls will make it ok!
I'm 29 years old,15 weeks pregnant with my second baby which was diagnosed with cystic hygroma at 12 weeks.I asked for second opinion and it was confirming.I underwent amniocentesis just yesterday.Official ultrasound report says-bilateral al nuchal cystic hygroma septated with thickened nuchal folds.I'm devastated and so is my husband and have no hope.Termination is the last thihg I consider but sometimes think it's really best thing for this poor little baby.I belive in God but in this situation I doubt that He is Good,Loving Father.I pray for this baby but not sure what should I actually pray for?Happy and healthy life(that's what all parents want for their children) or....death?Miracles happen for those who belive in them and I already had one in my life(I realized that few days ago).
P.S.I'm sorry for my english.I came to US 6 years ago and still studying.I'm aware that I make a lot of mistakes.I could not find support groups or even valuable info about CH in polish.
I'm so sorry for what you all are going through.  But my first child was also diagnosed with a CH at 11 weeks gestation.  We did all the testing, her chromosomes were normal ... and she was born full term with no traces of the CH left!  Now she's 10 years old, and is healthy.  I've contacted others who also had a child with a CH that disappeared prior to birth.  It doesn't always happen BUT IT CAN.  I hope this gives you some hope.

On a strange note, my daughter was also a twin pregnancy.  The other baby never grew, the sac was there, but no baby at 11 weeks.

Please have hope.
Belive it or not-cystic hygroma is gone!!!!!Amnio results are OK and it's a girl!!!!I'm the happiest person on the Earth!!!!Miracles happen!!!!
Ela- That's amazing! Thanks for the update!!! What a miracle!

I am going in for another ultrasound today. I too hope that the cystic hygroma is gone. I am now 18 weeks pregnant, with a Turners girl. I have started feeling her move in the last couple weeks which has been so reassuring.

Amy
Ela_W - I am very happy to hear about your daughter.  Miracles due happen, you just gotta faith and God will bless you.  Hoping for a healthy & safe Labor.. Congratulations!!

Amy - I hope you receive good news on your Ultra sound.  

God Bless you and your unborns.
I have a 16 yr old son who was born with cystic hygroma of the neck area. He's had many surgeries but lives a very normal life. He has normal intelligence. He's just like any other teenage kid his age. We love him dearly. Here's a great site for you all to visit: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/lmsupport/  There are other parents of children with cystic hygroma (LM or Lymphatic Malformation as it is commonly called). There are photos, advice, and stories to read. May God bless you all! Michelle
A great place to find info on Cystic hygroma (Lymphatic Malformation)  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lmsupport
Last week my husband and I went in for my appointment and found out that I was 13 weeks pregnant.  We were so excited to see our first baby on the ultrasound.  Then our doctor said he wanted to send us to the hospital because he saw a bubble and he was hoping it was on the placenta.  After having another ultrasound he came over to the hospital and told us that our baby's head didn't fuse shut and the bubble that we saw was our baby's brain that came out.  That was the worst moment I think I have ever had because he said there is no chance of survival for our baby even though it seems healthy now it wont live for more than a few moments if I even make it to term.  We have had 4 different ultrasounds and they all show it.  Every doctor I have talked to tells me to be on 4 mg of folic acid on any other pregnancy's that I have after this one.  They said that folic acid will help fuse the baby together.  Has anyone else heard that?  My heart goes out to all of you who are going through this too because this is supposed to be a happy time not a time of not nowing what is best for your baby cause there is nothing you can do.
Hey everyone I gave birth 2 my daughter on Nov 12th 2005 at 5mos 1wk she was 13ounces and 8 1/2 inches she was my first and only child she suffered from Turners Syndrome,Cystic Hygromah,Ascities. I found out at 13 wks but decided to continue the pregnancy anyway with the hope that they were wrong unfortunately I lost that battle but I wouldnt change it for the world. I was strong in the begining but I came to my breaking point when I couldnt go another day not knowing if she was alive or dead inside of me so I got on my knees on Nov 10th and prayed to GOD to take her now if she wasnt going to make it because my sanity was at stake and that night I dreamed and I could see my daughters face and I held her while sitting in a park on a spring afternoon and she was beautiful and when I woke up on Nov 11th I knew she was gone but I was ok of course I cried and was upset but I was at peace on the inside I knew I tried my best and gave my all so I went to my ultrasound appt that day where they confirmed what I already knew and I was induced and had her at 2:58am Nov 12th I got to hold her kiss her tell her i love her and I remember it clearly 2 this day and she will always be remembered and loved and today at 3 months exactly I wake every morning sure I did the right thing in not terminating because if I had I would have always wondered what if, but know I know for sure what the outcome would have been, I chose to have her cremated and her ashes lay in a white wooden box with a brown teddy bear carved into it in my room as close to me as possible and the nurse took pictures of her and gave me a memory box with all of her id bracelets (never used) and my id bracelet (never used) and her hat that she wore and a outfit donated by a charity to babies stillborn. I said all that to say make the right choice for yourself I refused to let any doctor and his statistics make my choice for me have faith in your child but most of all believe and have faith in GOD that he may help you choose the path and the direction for you, he is never wrong NEVER... I wish everyone the best and I pray that your outcome was better then mine but I am comfortable and at peace with my outcome in the begining it felt like I couldnt breathe and my heart was so heavy but I understand now that she was to perfect for this world and she will never have to endure pain or suffering she is were she belongs HEAVEN...

If your outcome isnt the one that I know everyone wishes for a word of advice if you can if possible hold your child it's the best experience and it's one you will regret not doing, it doesnt have to be immediately but please hold your child look at his/her face for your own personal memory nobody can take that from you Please hold your child...

Trinity Breyelle Smith
June 2005-Nov 12 2005
Your Mommy loved and loves you still I thank you for the little bit of time I was blessed with I enjoyed and cherished every second and im so glad I took every opportunity possible to tell you I love you while your heart was still beating and even now 3 months later every chance I get I look to the heavens and remind you my heart will always beat for the both of us until we meet again sweet angel, you will always be the love of my life...
Hello to all I have a daughter with cystic hygroma (aka lymphatic malformation. She is a happy health (except for CH) young lady. I just want you all to know that there is hope and happiness for children with CH. My best to all of you during these triing times in your life. If you want to chat I can be reached at ***@**** Lora
Hi, We have a ten yr old beautiful young girl. I was 31 weeks along when the doctors discovered the cystic hygroma. We did genetic testing and discovered that she did not have Turner Syndrome, but there was never a choice if we were going to keep her, she was already ours. I have heard that if the cyst is on the back of the neck that usually the baby will abort itself. Our daughter is healthy and happy, she just looks different. She is in regular 4th grade and she does Jujitsu. She is 10 going on 30. A typical girl who thinks she knows everything. She has a 11 yr old brother who picks on her and protects her. She was delivered by c-section at 38 weeks, she kicked me the whole preg, she wasn't going anywhere. She had her first surgery at 4 days old. Since she has had 10 surgeries altogther. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.If you need to talk we are at ***@****.
Katrina
Hi, We have a ten yr old beautiful young girl. I was 31 weeks along when the doctors discovered the cystic hygroma. We did genetic testing and discovered that she did not have Turner Syndrome, but there was never a choice if we were going to keep her, she was already ours. I have heard that if the cyst is on the back of the neck that usually the baby will abort itself. Our daughter is healthy and happy, she just looks different. She is in regular 4th grade and she does Jujitsu. She is 10 going on 30. A typical girl who thinks she knows everything. She has a 11 yr old brother who picks on her and protects her. She was delivered by c-section at 38 weeks, she kicked me the whole preg, she wasn't going anywhere. She had her first surgery at 4 days old. Since she has had 10 surgeries altogther. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.If you need to talk we are at.
Katrina
Hi,I have a 5 month old babay boy who was born with cystic hygroma. I didn't know he was going to be born like that. Everthng came to a shock to me. When he was born,they cleaned him off ,and I noticed there was alot of doctors surrounding him. They didn't know what was wrong. There was something wrong with his toung.so they brang him up stairs. Soon after that they told me they was going to transfer him to another hospital. I can't explain how I felt.That was the worst feeling I had. I couldn't be there with my baby when he needed me the most. I got to spend about 20 minuts with him befor they took him away. I was bleeding very heavy and enimic,but I still left the hospital the next day to be with my son. They didn't wan't to feed him cuz they didn't know exactly waht it was at that time. They just gave him pedialite- for three days. The hygroma was in the mouth,under the toung & down his throght. Acouple of weeks passed, they put a trach and a G-Tube in for precausions. They don't know when they are going to operate yet,but they say it's better to wait til he's one.The hygroma has grown,but it's not growing faster than him. It's like he's out growing it,but can still notice it. At times I feel like it's painful,but was told it wasn't.Other than the hygroma, he is a handsom,smart baby. he's ahead of his age,and he tries to talk. He over rides the trach and he can hear himself talk. I prayed to GOD just to hear his voice,To hear his first words,to hear him giggle and even cry. He answered me too. I get to hear at least a lil bit of his voice. He was a big,healthy baby to.9/7! I still don't understand why he was born like this.and why they didn't see it. I had a level two ultrosound too. and I has requested another one at 7 months(not a level two) and said every thing was fine.Hopefully,They can fix it and he can live a healthy,happy life.But I realy don't think they have seen a cyst in that area  before.It's one of a kind. I have been searching the net and can't find anyone like his. They don't want to operate cuz they said it's sorrounding the musscles of the face & if they operate, he may become parellized in his face. I pray every day for a miricle.
I found out when I was 8 weeks pregnant that my baby had cystic hygroma with hydrops, they really didn't give us much hope about the pregnany.  I pretty much also lost hope and was very upset so I know how you must be feeling. When I went back for my 2nd apointment with the specialist it was gone. all of it. It was amazing. I had an amnio, and it all came back perfect. I am now 22 weeks pregnant and I am carrying a healthy baby boy. Don't lose hope anything can happen. You will be in our paryers.
Hi, I am currently 13 weeks pregnant, and on Monday I had my first ultrasound.  Unfortunately the ultrasound detected that my baby had a CH on the back of his neck.  I was and still am severly upset.  I don't know what to expect, I've been doing research on the internet and everything I read about this genetic disorder is horrible.  Seeing the genetic counselors didn't make me feel any better, she was very cold, and straightforward letting me know that she truly doubted that I carried this baby to full term.  She even suggested me terminating my pregnancy.  I am so worried I feel like I'm going to go insane!! I am going for my amnio on April 7th, I am already fearing for the worst. I am trying to stay positive, but it's really hard.
Hi - My finance and I are pregnant with identical twin boys.  We found out at about week 10 that one had a 6mm cystic hygroma on the back of the neck.  Like everyone else who has posted the doctors scared us to death.  We opted to have a CVS (like an amnio but can be done earlier).   During the CVS the CH measured only 4mm.  We hope it is shrinking. The results came back that our boys have no chromosomal abnormalities.  We take this as great news.  We have another u/s scheduled this week to find out if the CH is shrinking.

Thank you all for the great information and hope in your postings.
Wanted to give an update that we have had a great u/s following the CVS and the hygroma is shrinking.  This is hopeful news and we wanted to share for anyone else who is going through this.  It does work out ok sometimes.

My name is Amy and I found out at 13 weeks that our baby had cystic hygroma--I had a vaginal ultrasound and saw the three sacs around the babys neck. Of course my husband and I were in shock and were very depressed after reading about it all on the internet.  The perinatalist said we had a 50/50 chance--and so we wait and pray.  I felt a lot more at peace after praying and asking God for healing--and having family and friends pray over us.  We went back yesterday to hear the heartbeat--which we did--but it was still fast at 175--which could be related to the hygroma.  I keep praying--but I am having a down moment--it is so hard to be patient and wait.  

I have read all of the comments--some encouraging and some not so much--it is so hard to believe that healthy women could have so much trouble trying to have a healthy baby.  

BTW we have decided against any testing--but I will have my next US at 18 weeks.
I will continue to pray for each and everyone of us.  My husband and I have also experienced the troubling news that our little 12 week old fetus has Cystic Hygroma.  We've been through a lot in the past 4 months.  I'm 34 and my husband is 44.  We have a healthy 7 year old little girl, and after wondering whether or not we wanted to add an addition to the family at our ages, we both prayed about it and God blessed us in December with a pregnancy.  But not long after being told we were expecting, I experienced pains in my left side which ultimately resulted in a miscarriage at 5 weeks.  The doctors did not know why.  My husband and I were distraught and started to question GOd's will, but we also continued to pray for understanding and guidance.  Two months later in Feb. (while we weren't consciously trying to conceive), to our surprise, we found out we that we were expecting again.  I continued to pray for this baby that it would be healthy. Well, at 12 weeks and our first ultrasound we were given the horrific news about CH.  We were sent to a speacialist who also confirmed the cycstic hygroma was very large around the neck and head and that the baby probably would not survive a full term pregnancy. We were also given the option of termination.  Right now, I am so at a loss , confused, angry, upset, all balled into one, but the amazing thing is that I still love the Lord and keep thanking him for whatever outcome these losses will bring to my family and I.  I keep praying for the understanding the big picture. That's all any of us can do.  God is still in control, we just have to keep letting him lead, even if the road that we're traveling seems a little bumpy and that we're about to wreck, truly God has his license to drive and he's not by any means going to allow us to wreck. Just keep the faith. I have.  I love you all. God bless you , and please continue to pray for me and my family that we too will get through this all.

signed
keeprayin4amiracle
Wow--I have been checking this forum almost every other day to see if anyone adds or updates their information--it would be nice to know how everyone is doing that has written in since this forum started in December--it is very helpful for me.  

I am still hanging in there--praying and finding there is alot of support around me--but I had to reach out for it--which has been a wonderful new thing for me and my husband.  We are getting involved in the church we started attending when we moved to Springfield, Illinois last fall.

I my next ultrasound is not until May 4th.  I dread it because the US I had last revealed the CH and it was the single most traumatic experience of my life--especially cause the sonographer was so cold and uncaring. My heart was racing every time she pointed out another abnormal thing about my baby--and then couldn't discuss it with me.  She said--the skin looked thick--and when I asked her what that meant--she said--I can't tell you--all I know is that it's not normal.  OH!!!! She made so mad! Then she said the heart looked abnormal, and the bowel looked like it was hardened like bone.  She was so cruel--and probably had no idea that I felt that way.  It was so overwhelming for me to see the CH so clearly on the screen in front of me--the biggest nightmare of my life--

Having said all that--I wanna see how the baby looks now--but at the same time--I don't know if I can handle going through that again--so I just constantly pray for a miracle. The perinatologist gave us a 50/50 chance depending on whether or not the CH is chromosomal.

It's all so painful--but I am so thankful that God is close to the brokenhearted.

I actually went in today just to hear the heartbeat--and we could still hear it--so that made me feel better. The heartbeat is fast--it's always between 175-181. That could be because the heart is working so hard to compensate for the CH. ??? But we won't know for sure until later I'm sure.

First of all--I would like to thank all of the brave women who have survived the heartache of learning their unborn child has cystic hygroma.  Although it may be rare for a baby to make it past 8 weeks with this condition--it happened to me and my almost 18 week old baby.

I want anyone who has been reading this forum to know an update on my situation. My baby was diganosed with Cystic Hygroma at 13 weeks during a routine ultrasound to determine the due date.  We waited about a month for another ultrasound on May 4th there was no heartbeat. Because we were so far along at almost 18 weeks I had to deliver the baby--so they induced me for 26 hours until I gave birth yesterday May 5th at 5:30pm.  The baby was 7 1/2 inches long and weighed about 6.5 ounces. I was able to hold the baby and get some small footprints.  This has been a very agonizing experience--the hardest thing I have ever had to face--and now I grieve because I am apart from my little baby--although it is temporary--it is so sad and my heart is broken.  I have to say thank you to my family and all the amazing nurses that helped me through the delivery process--they are guardian angels to me and my husband and our little baby.

If anyone would like to talk to someone who has been through this--please e-mail me at: ***@**** I would love to pray with you anytime

with much love and respect,

Amy Savage

with much love and respect,

Amy Savage

with much love and respect,

Amy Savage
First off im glad to have finaly found a forum on this subject , I gave birth to a baby girl in 2001 with a cystic hygroma (clavical and Axilla ) we had no idea as scan's hadnt shown anything up , The cyst its self was the size of a cricket ball surounded by several pockets of fluid . I had a natral birth both me and the baby were fine , the cyst was removed when she was 6 months old and as far as we are aware nothing has grown back . I feel for you guys its a very hard thing to go through even heart breaking :(
Hi Spider291--I just thought I'd check and see if anyone found this forum--cause I thought it might have expired or something.  Good to hear your story, how is your baby doing?  I am assuming that your baby's cystic hygroma was not a chromosomal abnormality--so what caused it? This is a question I never got answered from the specialist.

sincerely,
Amy Savage
My name is Tashauna and am 18wks along. I had my first ultrasound done on April 13, 2006 and found out that everything was good and that I was at 12 wks. I went in on 5-15-06 for my regular 4 wk checkup and had blood work done for Down's and NTD. I got the call on Monday, May 22 that one of my test came back abnormal. An appointment was made for me on Wednesday 5-24 at 1pm. I had an ultrasound done, and the doctor informed me that my baby had a cystic hygroma, hydrops and ascities.
I was heartbroken when I heard the diagnoses. I just prayed, knowing the God is in Control whether this baby makes it to full term and lives a full and wonderful life or not.
     I have researched a lot on the internet. Everything that I have seen has been very negative. This is the first place that I have seen that has been inspiring. I know that God has a plan for this baby. I do not know what God's will is. I am expecting a miracle. This could be a test for my faith. It could  be that miracle that someone around me needs to see to bring them to Christ. Whether God is creating another Angel to watch over me and my family, I know that it will all work out ok.
I will be going back to the Dr. on 6-7-06 for a followup ultrasound.
For all of you that actively seek God in prayer, please pray for me and  our baby.

Thank you and God Bless,

Tashauna Stinson
Hi Tashauna,

I am so glad you found this forum--it helped me so much too--to read there was hope and to ask others to pray--mostly to know I was not alone in this situation.  I will be praying for you and your baby. If you ever need to talk please let me know--you can e-mail me anytime at: ***@****.  Going through this experience brought me closer to God than I have ever been--He really provides extra love and comfort to His children who are brokenhearted and going through trials.  Please let me know how things go--I want to help in any way I can. It is great that you are reaching out and asking for prayers--that is what mothers do best--they fight for their children.

with love and prayers,

Amy Savage
I too am experiencing the same situation you are in to.  My name is Maricar Guintu, Am on my 22 wks pregnancy.  I guess it was the worst and horrifying news I've ever had in my entire life when i went on my 3rd month prenatal check up on April 3, 2006.  My doctor was unable to get my baby's heartbeat thru the doppler machine, I even told my Dr. happily that maybe "my baby was hiding."  Until my Dr. requested me to have an ultrasound to check the baby's heartbeat. My doctor told me that my baby's h/b was only 93 and it wasnt on the normal rate. Then she had requested me to get a full ultrasound.  It's was like the end of the world for me when my doctor informed me of hte result of the ultrasound. She said my baby's abnormal heartbeat is due to an abnormality in my baby and that the baby has a cystic hygroma.  I cried and didnt know what to do and what to feel. On that same day, my doctor referred me to an OB specialist for 2nd opinion, I had an ultrasound again, the OB confirmed the same result that my doctor had.  On April 11, I had an amnio test. THe result was normal & and I have a baby girl.  Since then I told my doctor that I opted to continue my pregnancy as I was hoping for a miracle too that the hygroma may resolve by itself. But things get worst for my baby as she had a fluid build up on her abdomen and later on her brain which the doctor told me that it's hydrops.  I have read a lot of info about cystic hygroma also which I found them negative too.  I asked my doctor straight what is the chance of my baby to survive, she told me straight that soon my baby will die and she may not reach 6 mos. I get check up wkly to make sure that I dont have any complication and that if the baby dies in my womb she'll be delivered ASAP to avoid problems.  NOw am just hoping for a miracle even if my baby's heartbeat keeps on going down when I get check up wkly. My baby's hearbeat last Friday, 5/26 was only 42. I am still holding on for I know God knows what best for me and my baby.  

Maricar
Hi Maricar--I am so sorry to hear about your baby--my heart just hurts so much as I read about what you have been through.  Please know that I will be praying for you. This is so incredibly hard--no one should have to experience this.  If there is anything I can do--I would like to help you--if you need to talk you can e-mail me or I can give you my phone number if that is helpful.  For me, it was important to talk to others and have them pray with me over the phone or in person if possible.  You cannot go this alone--you need lots of support--I cannot emphasize that enough. I am glad you found this forum--because it helps you feel as though you are not alone--so many women have been through this and they are survivors like you and I.  God has really given me a burden to pray and to talk with others who find out their baby's have CH, so please let me know if I can help you. You are important and your baby is important, special, and precious!

sincerely with prayers,

amy
Dear Amy:
I really appreciate your support and prayers.  I would be pleased to talk to you about this thing I am going through.  My email is ***@****.  This time on, I really dont know what to feel.  There are moments that I am loosing hope. But still I am holding on, hoping that tomorrow there might be a miracle. Every day, every minute I try to feel my baby if she  still moves. Many times, I asked God, why do I have to suffer all these same with my baby despite am taking care of myself, I do have a healthy lifestyle.    

Everytime I go to my weekly check up my heart beats so fast. Afraid of what my doctro will tell me again. It's really a traumatic experience!

Thank you again for your time and support.

Regards,
Maricar
Hi Maricar,

Thanks for sending me your e-mail, I will e-mail you soon.  Take care.

Amy
4 dys ago went for regular check up couldn't find H/B W/ doppler so went to U/S uterus tipped/inverted so hard to see so went vaginaly and saw my 12 wk baby dancin little arms and legs, face.U/S tech left room to get doc she said so he could see h/b but he came in and showed me that my baby had a CHygroma and they set me an appt w/ fetal spec. they u/s and worse it's septated and has fluid inbwn skin and ribs, good Hb though.I go in 2 dys for chromosome testing.You go from I can't wait to find out the sex in another 6 wks to am I even going to be having a baby and is there any chance it will be normal.The odds/stats are stacked so high against us.  I don't know if I can terminate.  Chrom. testing will help inform me better.  I prayed so hard for a baby now I pray for a miracle no chrom. defect /ch goes away or for a misscarriage.Because I don't know if I can make the decision to end it.   The only hope I've found so far is this page were some of you have had it resolve or misscar.  God Bless you all you will be in my prayers please keep me in yours  cherie
Hi Cherinsc-- I am so sorry to hear about your u/s and the CH.  I am praying for all these women--lately Maricar and Tashauna (who will have follow-up u/s tomorrow.)  This is so hard and there is no way to fight--except through prayer.  God did not cause this problem or allow it--it just happens by nature, but God hears our prayers and He answers. My doctor gave us a 50/50 chance of keeping/losing our little girl, based on whether or not the CH was from chromosomal abnormality.  It was too early to do an amnio when we found out--so we just decided to pray and wait for an answer.  I wanted my little girl so badly--with or without CH, which we just found out she had Turner's syndrome from the chromosome tests they did after the autopsy.  

God showed me how to love my baby--even if she had problems--she is still my baby and I love her so very much. I think about her all the time and it's been a month since I delivered her.  I encourage you to listen to your heart, and to the doctors. I know it is hard--at first, all I wanted was for my baby to miscarry--to just be over--the nightmare and fear of having a less than perfect child--gone.  But through many signs, God changed my heart and showed me that I have so much love to give--to my baby, no matter the obstacles.  You have the strength, but you won't know you have it until the moment you need it.  you are already an amazing mother--you have planned and prayed for this child and you have a bond that is eternal. No test or diagnosis will ever change the relationship you have with your baby right now.

I am praying for a complete miraculous healing for your baby--I believe with all my heart in power of God's love.  E-mail me anytime, and if you need to talk I can send you my cell #--let me know

Take care,
Amy Savage
***@****
THANKS so much for the love you poored out in your message truckercat!!   Got results from cvs today baby has Turner's sy.  so it'a a girl. Going to talk to genetisist tomarrow combination of cystic hygroma and TS could be bad, may not carry to term .Me and my husband decided we could not live w/ termination, and TS is really not that bad some very normal heart , kidney prob.'s scare me. I work in ICU at hospital and dialysis is a horrable life.If kidney that severe.    Anyways won't know much more for another 6 wks when I go back to spec. for indepth U/S. Please pray that CH is gone and that heart /kidneys okay that all we have to deal w/ is TS.  I am sorry for your loss, I hope you have many healthy ,happy babies in future.I though of adoption b/f all this if you have too go to adoptuskids.org and look at alll the children needing homes.I've decided not to paint the babies room (already primed) or get crib/clothes  till very late in preg cuz I know miscar. is a very real possibility and I don't want to have all that stuff and no baby to bring home.  sending out me love,prayers and thanks cherie PS: I'd like to name her Faith and thats what I must have!!
Hi Cherie,

I am glad you found out you are having a girl, Faith is a beautiful name.  I have read about and keep hearing about couples with TS girls.  It seems like many of them can live fairly normal lives.  One woman wrote, maybe in this forum, or in another, about her TS girl. She may of found out later in her pregnancy about the TS, and decided to keep her little girl because of how strong her little girl was to have made it so far--she was fighting to be born.  I felt that same way with Kyra--how amazing that we fought together for 18 weeks--and I am so thankful for those precious 18 weeks I had with her in my womb.  Having a baby living with you for any amount of weeks is life changing--I will never be the same--now I am a mother with a beautiful daughter.

I am praying that you will have stength and endurance--that is what you need most for your heart right now, and for Faith's healing.

God Bless you--thanks so much for writing back--it is very healing for me to talk with other women who are going through the same thing--it means so much

Amy
i am not sure how well things have turned out for you guys but i do have bit of good news for you i have a four year old grandchild that had a massive cystic hygroma. it covered all most his whole head and back. other than a webbed neck larger hand and feet than normall and a slight dvelopmental problem. he is a happy, and  healthy little boy. we did not get answers when my daughter was pregnant and we still don't have answers but he was a blessed gift and we love him dearly. the only thing we are worried about is thia was my daughters firsst child and with no real answers she dosen't know if she should have another child.
One of my dearest friends has a daughter with that. She is 6 now and has a trach and a feeding tube and has had many surgeries but is otherwise normal and happy. A girl in my office had an ultrasound where it showed it and they advised her to terminate which she did.  I do know with my friends daughter everytime they do surgery it grows back but she is seen regularly by a specialist and prognosis is good. Good luck
I AM GOING TO 24 YRS OLD. AND THIS WILL BE MY 4TH PREGNACY, BUT ONLY HAVE ONE LIVE CHILD, I AM ABOUT 11 WEEKS ACCORDING TO MY ULTRASOUND. BABY HAS HAD A HEART TONE AND IS MOVING AND EVERYTHING BUT THEY FOUND FLUID IN THE HEAD SO THEY ARE ASSUMIMG THAT I AM GOING TO HAVE A SAB, THEY THINK IT MAY BE A CYSTIC HYDROMA VS HYDROCEPHALUS,BUT THAT IT WAS TOO SOON TO KNOW, AND IT BROKE MY HEART AT FIRST BUT I AM STRONGER NOW. IT STILL A CONSER, BUT I GUESS THERE IS NOTHING TO DO BUT WAIT AND SEE WHAT LIFE BRINGS. I STILL HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THAT IS
Hi! I am 27  years old and have been told for 10 years that i may never conceive due to female problems. To our surprise we are pregnant. My doctor wanted to know exactly how far along I was so he sent me to have a UltraSound done this past Monday. The U/S showed the I was 9 weeks 6 days pregnant. Our baby was so cute it was moving around and it's heart rate was 176. good we thought. The lady doing the ultrasound took so many pictures of it's head I now realize. Our Doctor told us that it looked as though our baby has Cystic Hygroma or and he named a lot of other scary things. He told us that he made a appointment with a specialist fo me  to have a more in depth U/S done this coming Tuesday. Today is Wednesday and all I can do is read and CRY the unknow scares the hell out of me, I research in the morning before work and in the evening after. I want to be educated but it's hard to understad all of these syndromes. I am so overwelhmed and want answers. Until Tuesday I think reading all of your storys is going to educate me and calm a small piece of me knowing that we are not alone. It is so comforting. Thank you all for sharing your personal situations and thanks for listening to ours. I Pray for all of you and your familys.

*MOONLVER*  I do know a few people personally with HYDROCEPHALUS. My best friends son was born with Hydrocephalus without spina bifida He has had 5 surgerys and done well with each one and is now 11 years old and is in a accelerate class he is so smart. 2 of My Other friends each have a son who has both spina bifida and Hydrocephalus  they both are very smart and normal looking except for lower body Paralysis but with surgery and therpy they both have gained some control of their lower body. If you have any questions please ask.

Jamie a Hopeful mom2be
hello. i've been reading this topic and I'm glad I found some other mothers out there who are experiencing or having experienced what I am going through.

I am 13 weeks pregnant with twins. They are most likely identical. They are in the same placenta, but in different sacs. I had an ultrasound done at about ten weeks and every thing looked normal (it was done while I was in the ER and you know those ER techs aren't alwasy right on) and every thing was fine. The babies looked healthy and were growing. Less than one week later I had my first visit with the twin specialist and that is when we found fluid behind the neck. he didn't call it anything, he just told me that if it spread to the heart or lungs that baby wouldn't make it to full term but there are some cases when the condition resolves itself. He told me he wanted to see me again in six weeks and that I should think about doing amnios on my twins.

I looked up chromosomal abnormalities and did just a tiny bit of research and read that 90% of babies that present this early in gestation are born fine.

Then my regular ob/gyn mentioned that my baby has Cystic Hygloma. She didn't really explain what it was, we were there for a check up. She just told me to keep my next ultrasound appointment with the specialist and sent me on my way (I am serioulsy considering finding another ob)

This morning I have been researching CH and I am terrified at what I am finding. It is really making me feel so sick. I am trying to stay optimistic and hopeful because we've only seen one ultrasound and no tests have been done yet. I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.

I've decided that if the fluid level is the same or has increased by the time of my next ultrasound (Jan 29th) then I am going to go ahead and have amnios done.

For those of you who have lost your children because of this, my heart goes out to you. I can't imagine and I pray that my children will be okay.

For those of you who have children who have survived against the odds, it is really great to know that you are out there. It gives me hope.

Thank you all for sharing your stories
I wanted to offer some HOPE, so here's my story. At 12 weeks a septated cystic hygroma was discovered on my baby during my ultrasound (3.5mm I believe). The genetic counselor spoke in great length with us and gave us all the stats,etc and we were devastated. Basically we had a one in six chance of a completely healthy baby. Two CVS's were attempted but couldn't be done so we had to wait until 4 weeks after we found out the bad news to have the amnio. That month waiting was the worst in my life. They then discovered that the hygroma had disappeared and amnio results were normal. I had a
fetal echocardiogram and that turned out to be normal too. So I am now at 23 weeks with a healthy baby girl!
Please don't give up, there is hope. Please get a CVS or amnio to get a definite answer before even thinking about termination. Hygromas can resolve, even septated ones like ours and miracles can happen :-)

Angie
hi i am having identical twin both in one sack one placenta and they are boy i guess and at 15. 5 weeks one of my babys has cyctic mass near the neck and short limbs iv seen a specialist today and they say my babys skull has a whole and his brain is hanging out and his limbs are reaally smally and may survive and will be born servially handkiapp and die but the other is totally fine and as they are identical this should not happen but like all you out there i will listen to this and will carry on with this pregnancy and hope to have two beutiful boys like the one i have . i will pray to allah /god for all of you hope all goes well
i lost one of my twins at birth the one with the problems i thought id let you guys know and my other twin survived taddling along nicely and looks identical as his brother hes a spitting image
I everyone, just want to get some idea from all.I am a new married guy and my wife just got pregnant 1 month 10 days , so my wife go see doctor and had Ultra scan for our baby , so doctor found the my wife got CH just next to our baby around 30mm size ... i was very upset, sad  donno what to do , and we been waiting to get a baby for so long... now we got but we had some CH ... Please to all what should i do.... :-(
The outlook for babies in the womb witt ch is very poor especially if hydrops is also pressent the high heart rate which usually accompanies the condition is the heart having to work harder.Unfortunately like most things if you overwork it then it usually runs out of steam and gives up.
I had the agonising news that our son had ch accompanied by hydrops 2 years ago now I chose to terminate as I decided I wouldnt want the children I already had to be in pain so I was not prpared to leave my unborn son to suffer either.It was the hardest decision I ever made and still look for answers even now my thoughts are with you all and as much as I wish the prgnosis was better it realy isnt good . All I can say is do what you feel is right in your heart dont be afraid to keep asking questions and if you can find the strength to hold your baby at whatever stage you deliver you will not regret it holding my son (Elijah) realy helped in the healing process and even though I feel I still have a long way to go Im further than I ever thought I would get because at first everyday felt like I would break into a million little pieces I wish you all strength to get through your days and weeks to come I wont lie they will be some of the hardest youll ever experiance please try and be strong and trust your own instincts much empathy to you all timslou