Maternal & Child Community
pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pregnant

I am 37 years old,mother of one 8 year old daughter,single parent on top of that.I had my last period,with the first day of bleeding on July 20,2005.I had sex on July 31 with a friend I been seeing for a while.But on august 6th I ran into an ex boyfriend of mine and we slept with eachother,belive me if I say,I regret it because it turned out now that he is married.With both men I used a condom,but both slipped of after ejaculation.I just found out that I am pregnant (confirmation was on august 27,I am 5 weeks and one day as of today)Is there a way to determin which one is the father of this child? And what are the risks for me to keep the baby due to my age?
hi, im not sure about how to determine the father, other than the obvious and to dna tests? if your ex is the father of your 8 yr old it may (on a whim here) be a chance doctors could check dna off her?
Anyway,my fiend had her first child at 41, and there where no complications, she ate a healthy balanced diet and took pregnancy friendly exercise, her little girl was fine, infact she is planning another at 44? not sure if thats getting a bit ambitious! im sure your gp will help you Good Luck xx
i agree with want to be a mom....women are most fertile 5 days before ovulation with the hight (33%) 3-2 days before. you had sex with your friend 3 days prior to ovulation if you are on a 28-30 day cycle. it is impossible to PG after 'o' has already occurred and you didn't have sex prior. so i would say with my nursing knowledge (not that it is correct, i don't know what day you 'o'ed on) that it is more likely to be your friends. a DNA sample after the baby is born, or amnio can determine paternity for you if you want. i hope this was helpful.

kimmie
Thanks so much for your posts.I am not really considering an abortion.I am responsible for this child,I knew what I was doing.I am midst in a carrier change(more money)but I am alone here in texas.I have no family.Its just me and my daughter.I think the most I worry is daycare expenses and that my new health insurance won't cover this pregnancy due to "pre existing condition".If any of you have any tips or anything helpful for me please post it for me.I know that this website is here only for medical posts but I am going thru some crazy times and I welcome everything that could help me making my desicion.
Oh my my, you seem to have gotten yourself into something.....
If I had to guess, based on your dates, I'd say the father is your dating friend (not ex-boyfriend) - but it's extremely hard to tell and they both have good chances of being the dad because they were only a week apart from each other.  Nothing short of a paternity test will suffice.

Also, just FYI, a lot of the women on this forum have had miscarriage(s) and/or are having trouble getting pg in the first place.  So this is not the best place to discuss an elective abortion.  It is best to discuss this with your doctor to explore all of your options.  It's not like a light switch flips and after 35 you're guaranteed to have a child with birth defects, so take things one step at a time and realize that you have very good chances of having a perfectly normal pregnancy and baby.
Plus child support.  I don't know Texas law, but Michigan will garnish the wages of a dad so they don't have a choice but to pay child support.
Texas is the same way. The paperwork is filed through the attorney general's office.
I understand your concerns.  Some hope is that my friend was hired into our company when she was pg.  The health insurance DID cover everything.  Do your homework and explore all of your options.

I understand what you mean about daycare.  My son is in daycare 4 days/wk.  It is hard, but it is only for a few years until they start school - there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Also, check into programs in your community to help single mothers and low-income families.
i am 38(will be 39 in January) i have a healthy normal 8.5 mo old son and my dh and i are considering getting pregnant again in december-i want ds walking,talking and feeding himself before new baby arrives-just get good prenatal care--risk does increase as we get older-i was offered amnio to check for defects and turned it down, i will do the same next time to. i will love any ds or dd that i am given.