Maternal & Child Community
preschool or home care? Dilemma!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

preschool or home care? Dilemma!!

I am on a dilemma here and I need your opinion.
My 21 months old B/G twins are being taken care of by a very good, clean nanny at home since they were 1 year old. She is mature and experienced (45 years old) She takes very good care of them; cook for them, teaches them good eating and sleeping manners; cleans their room and clothes and most importantly I feel that she loves them and they love her a lot too. They call her name all the time and give her big hugs…
On the other hand she does not read or write. Sometimes the kids want to read a book or play with their learning toys…she is unable to understand instructions or read a story to them sometimes she teaches them the wrong words (We live out of the states for now and we speak other languages beside English and so she does; she actually speaks no English) She never uses inappropriate language though, very polite and uses good manners.
Anyways, we are in dilemma. We are thinking to put them in a preschool for half a day, but we also think they are too young, maybe next year they will be more ready ( I know some mommies have to put their babies at 3 months old) Also once they start going to preschool they get lots of infections and  get sick more often. Also home care is costing us much less than preschool (especially with twins! ;). We will be keeping our nanny no matter what, she is too good to let her go.
what do you think? I would like to know other momies opinion on this. Please advice.
thx
do your children go to mums and tots groups? that is a good learning tool for little ones and helps bring on social skills too, also they can learn from other children there, its cheaper than pre-school too. i took my dd to a group from 13 months and she loved it, we still go now and my ds was going from being in my stomach, as is this next baby, yes they pick up colds etc....but its best to build up their immune system now ready for school. my 2 have had some stinkers of coughs and colds but they can fight them off alot better now because of it.

hope this helps
claire
Unfortunatelly, where we live there is no mums and tots groups. We also just moved in so i'm not very familiar with the community yet.
We really don’t know what’s best for our twins. That’s why I’m asking for other people’s opinion so we can decide.
Look into preschool where they are only going for two hours when they are so little (3)--but it will get them use to the school atmosphere....I would not worry to much at this time about her not being able to read or write--that should be your job as the parent...though when they do get older they will wonder why their nanny does not do that stuff with them--it may be a good time for you if you love her that much to get her enrolled in an adult ed program to help her so she can be everything your children will need later on.  It would be awful if she could not read the directions on medicine one day and give your child the wrong amount and they get sicker....In my opinion preschool is good for scoailization and also for children to learn to listen to people of authority (teacher).
I think 21 months is too young for preschool.  Around here they don't even allow them to attend until 3 yrs old.
21 months, imo, is not too young. not that i would ever put a 6 week old in daycare, but two each his own. for example - my son just turned 9 months old and is in daycare. not by choice but i am lucky enough to know the director personally. i think it is a wonderful thing for children to socialize, learn and be in a different enviornment. i would by no means tell you that daycare/preschool is better than your in home nanny. if i had that option, i would jump on it. but if you're thinking about putting the twins in daycare/preschool for a couple hours a few days a week, i think thats great. they learn to be apart from the caregiver they are most used to and learn very quickly that moms/dads/nannys or whomever always come back. my son was upset for the first two days but by the end of the first week, he was already warming up to the teachers and other babies. now closing in on the first month, i think its great to walk in there to pick him up and see him playing so nicely with the other babies and realy enjoying his time there. i don't think 21 months is too young. its actually a great age for them to start learning in an enviornment other than home. and come time for kindergarten, your twins will already be ahead of the game, having learned so much in preschool. just be sure to do a lot of research in choosing the preschool is just right for them and i guarantee you'll be happy with the outcome.
We put our dd in daycare at like 3 months, then in preschool at 2 1/2 years.  Unfortunately, we both have to work.  I don't regret it a bit.  She is doing great and loves playing with other kids and learning.  
My DD has been in daycare since she was 8 weeks old.  I did not have any other choice because myself and DH have to work.  Since has done just great.  She only goes 2 days a week because my husband works weekends and my mom watches her one day.  She loves is and I would not change a thing.  I know everyone has there own opinion, but all the activites they do there has been wonderful for her.  I am 23 weeks along with my 2nd and she will go to the same daycare two days a week starting at 10 weeks.