Maternal & Child Community
preterm labor, csection in 3wks, only 36wks now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

so wed. at work i started cramping and having contractions.  went to labor and delivery and they hooked me up to iv, gave me vistaril and procardia (can't give me terbutaline d/t gd)once they realized my contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes.  after about 8-9 hrs they finally stopped the labor.  i am 36wks today.  i have dilated to 1cm and they said my cervix is soft, and starting to thin.  i have a csection scheduled for nov. 3rd, and the dr. really wants me to make it to that date.
my question is has anyone with gd delivered at 36wks via csection and they were perfectly fine?  she mentioned doing an amnio, which i really don't want to do, but i will if need be.  also, anyone gone through something similar and still made it to their planned birth date?  when i went to the hospital wed my cervix was completely closed, by the time i left the hospital yesterday afternoon i was 1cm and soft.  i never went into labor with ds, he was a planned csection.  labor with dd went fast and hit me quick, so i don't know what to expect.
i have a feeling i'm not going to make it 3 more weeks, and just want my little girl to be healthy.  any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  thank you.
Most drs say delivering at 37 weeks is full-term.  I think you are absolutely fine.
My friends delivered at 27 weeks and they have a beautiful 4 yr old girl who has never had any preemie problems.

I delivered a week early at 39 weeks...8.2 lb girl..glad I didn't go until 40+ weeks who knows how big she would be.

I think your baby is completely safe.  GOOD LUCK AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU CLOSE TO HIM.
the amnio your dr wants to do is to check the lungs for development. It is a good idea to do this because if the lungs are not fully deceloped they can give you steriods to speed up the lung development. I delivered my dd at 36 weeks and she went home the next day with me, she was perfectly fine. I also had a child at 23 weeks and after a long stay at the hospital she is fine. I would not worry about giving birth anytime after 36 weeks. Your baby will be fine, the amnio is a good idea.
How did you know your cramping was contractions? I have been feeling cramping for a few weeks now. I am going to call my doc, I just wondered how you knew the difference between say, stretching cramping, and contraction cramping??
If you are having real contractions then your belly will be as hard as your forehead and wont ease up with any kind of movement.  If you are haveing BH then it will ease up with movement and shouldnt be as intense as a real contraction.  I got BH with DS at around 6 months.  It wouldnt hurt but some of them did make me stop now and then!!  How far along are you again??
I would definately do the amnio so they can check the babies lung developement. I'm surprised they didn't do it right away and let you have the baby if lungs were ok.  Around here if you're 36 wks they let you have the baby.  Good luck!
I never had a c-section, but with my 2nd, I went into PL at 31 weeks. They were able to stop it then, but I kept having recurring episodes. I went into full blown labor at 36 1/2 weeks, and he weighed 8 1/2 lbs. He was fine for the most part. Dr's just want you to get past 35 weeks, which you are. One of my best friends had her baby at 36 weeks also. He was perfectly healthy.

Might I ask why they want to schedule a c section? Is it b/c you previously had one?
my diabetes specialist doesn't really okay delivery before 39 weeks because they say the gd slows development of the lungs.  the reason i knew something was wrong, more than just cramping, was because i had TERRIBLE pressure in my pelvis, and everytime i would move i felt like i had to poop (sorry TMI) even though i didn't have to.  thank you for all of your thoughtful words, the encouragement helps.
I am now 36w5d and have been having the tightening but the pain feels more like its in my back? And the pain is not strong enought to make me stop walking what am I experiencing?
I have gd also and are 34 weeks pregnant I had it with my first child and after a failed induction she was born by c section at 39 weeks this time a c section is booked for me at 38 weeks my midwife said to me baby would be fine if I go into labour now they will give a steriod to get the babies lungs fully devoloped your 36 weeks so you will be fine I wouldnt be worried your bubs will be in the best of hands lots of people have babies from 28 weeks and they are fine. Good luck.
well it comes and goes nothing steady but I have been getting them more frequently lately maybe 8- 10 times perday now
probably experiencing BH
DS#1 was 36wks 5lbs&7oz 18 in long, born vag. was fine got to stay in the rm w/us the whole time :) I went for a reg dr visit & was 5cm & 80%thin, my bp was too high so they never tried to stop labor. Good Luck!!
I went into labor with my last one at 34wks 6 days, the cotor stopped it.  At 38 wks I had an amnio which was not bad at all, then I had the baby the next day!
Don't worry about 36 weeks. I had one baby going home with me, the other in the NICU (only needed some help keeping warm and feeding), it depends on the baby, but don't worry either way, a 36 weeker doesn't need a lot of help.
how long have you had the pain?  When I had PTL  I had pain in my back it wasn't severe.  At first I didn't even know I was in labor.
With having gd they wanted to get the baby out early which is safest option as doctor said sometimes with gd something can go wrong with the baby at 40 weeks+ which freaked me out he just had to tell me that.Strange how they let you go that far over as reading info and doctors and specialist saying they like to get the babies out by 38 weeks 39 at the latest and I only have a mild case of the gd controlled by diet alone I got induced first time around but wouldnt go into labour so had to have a c section and with having gd this time I have no choice even if I go into labour I have to have emergency c section if I didnt have the gd they were going to let me try vbac but not the case now.
Do you have to have a c-section after a c-section or is this something you chose or for some other reason, like the gd?  I had g/d but they only wanted to induce me at 14 days overdue.
36 wks 2 days and being induced tomorrow.  went into pre term labor @ 33wks and spent 8 days in the hosp.  Then was sent home on bed rest and pills to relax my uterus.  Lost my mucus plug, was 2cm dilated and was funneling at 33 weeks.  Went to the doc yesterday and am now 3cm dilated 90 % effaced.  Doc gave me an option to have an amnio done to see if her lungs were fully developed yet.  (  When I was in the hosp they gave me steriod shots (2 of them 24 hrs apart) to help her lungs mature more quickly).  Turns out that the results were positive and the doc said her lungs were very, very mature.  She weighs around 6lb 9oz right now...give or take.  So, it looks like it is a GO on being induced for tomorrow.  Good luck to all on this site.