Maternal & Child Community
progesterone suppositories and spotting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am currently @ 11 1/7wks and have been taking progesterone suppositories twice a day since week 6.  I have been having spotting off an on since then, with the latest episode this AM. I just had a great US yesterday with baby HR and movement.  Has anyone had spotting with the suppositories due to cervical irritation???
I have been on the supplements for about the same period of time--I also have had a little spotting but mostly the day after I have sex---so I think it may have something to do with irritation than actual spotting--I think that as long as we have been on them it has had an effect on our insides if you know what I mean--I lately feel like I have a yeast infection but if I dont do the supplements for a couple of days those symptoms go away---I go in to the doctor on Tuesday so hopefully I can stop them all together--
I have been on the suppositories about 1 month, I am only 8wks so far,  but I have not had spotting as of yet.  I do however feel yeast infection symptoms a couple of days,  and before I call my doctor, they go away, then come back a week later...so Im not sure if its just irritating,  or if I should be concerned about an actual infection.  We only have to take these until the end of the first trimester, right?  Im ready to stop NOW! :>) But if they help, its definitely worth it!!
I have been on them since I was like 4 weeks---so I do agree with it irritating the lining and causing yeast infection symptoms--but that didnt start for me until like 2 weeks ago---I think its my bodies way of telling me its tired of those things--plus with my sensitive nose---they stink---or when it mixes with my body it produces a smell. But yes they do help and I guess we will do what we have to so that we can have a happy healthy baby......
Hello Ladies!
  I was put on the progesterone supp with my last pg. Unfortunately it ended in a blighted ovum (obviously nothing to do with the supp) but they did indeed sustain the pg even when there was no reason to sustain it. I didn't actually start to m/c until I stopped the supp. So keep using them!! I know what a pain they are, the smell, the "ooze" as I call it. But it is worth it if they work : )

Good luck!!

Andrea
The progesterone is supposed to help substain the pregnancy--Have your levels checked with your doctor when you first get pregnant to see if they are low--if they are then ask the doctor about them. They are messy but well worth it for a healthy baby--I was put on them because I had miscarried in April and got pregnant right away in May-so the doctor said the lining may not be substancial enough to hold the pregnancy so she started me on those.I have had no problems.
Thanks for that information.  That is good to know.  I was just put on progesterone (tablets) becuase my first period following my miscarriage has gone on for over two weeks.  So they are hoping this will help to build up  my uterine lining and then when I stop taking them in two weeks I should have a more normal period...I am keeping my fingers crossed.  But that is really good to know about taking it (suppositories) while you are pregnant.  I will have to ask my doctor about that.

Good luck with your pregnancy!
Can I ask maybe a silly question?!  Why do you take progersterone suppositories while you are pregnant?  Is it to prevent a miscarriage?  Just curiuos. I miscarried in late May and will hopefully TTC in the next few months but know I will be a nervous wreck the first trimester.  That is why I am wondering if you take these to help prevent miscarriages?  Or I may have no idea what I am talking about.

Thanks!
My doctor didnt suggest the supplements to me, as a matter of fact I was reading some postings on this website about how they were supposed to aid in protecting the fetus, so I specifically asked for the prescription.  My doctor told me that there wasnt scientific proof that it made a difference, but after having 2 m/c's I just want to feel like I am doing everything I can, so if you have had a m/c in the past, the supplements may be something you can use to make you feel like you are doing absolutely everything possible to have a healthy baby!  It sounds like it does help based on the other postings here, and that definitely makes it all worth it!
Hi there,

I was just wondering if the original poster was still spotting/how far along are you now?  I just started taking the suppositories on Friday a week and a day ago and have spotted VERY lightly since Monday.  It always seems to be the first time I go to the restroom after inserting the suppository.  I have miscarried three times (this is the first pregnancy where I've been on progesterone AND I'm also on metformin for PCOS/insulin resistance) and the spotting this time is definitely much different in color and texture than from the times I miscarried.  I do have one child that I had NO problems with so this is SO frustrating for me.  Just wondering what everyone else's experience is with the spotting and the suppositories.  Did you stop spotting once you went of the progesterone?  Any info would be great!  THANKS!

Lorilee
I did start spotting after getting off of the progesterone, but I was m/c anyway. My OB that is typical to spot after getting off of them anyway.

ANdrea
Hi, Im new to this.  I just started the suppositories.  I've had 2 m/c's in the last 4 mths.  We've been trying for over a year and 1/2 to conceive.  i'm preg now, but would like any information on the suppositories, there effects, things that can happen when your on them...etc.  
I am so nervous about loosing this baby, and would just feel a bit better knowing more about them from people using them.
Thanks!
my email addy is angelicdevil_22***@****
hi, i really wonder if suppositories help u when u r already pregnant, i had one m/c last year and now
i`m in my fifth week , i`m gonna start taking progesterone starting from week 6, my last progesterone level was 18.5 , i really wanna know if i can expect any wonder
Hi, I just found out im pregnant 3 days ago.... I confirmed it with my doctor and blood work.  My progesterone level was low... at 11... the doctor prescribed me supositories of 200mcl twice daily... does any one know if this really works? This is my first pregnancy and me and my husband have been trying for 7 month until finally im pregnant.  Im new at all this... I also have the feeling very lightly that im going to have my period, is that normal? Some people say that menstruall feeling can also mean the baby is growing? I really dont know... any help Please
I also just started taking the progeterone suppositories (last night). I found out i was pregnant last week and have been spotting every day since. My doctor finally put me on the suppositories, but only once a day at bedtime. I can't say yet if the spotting has stopped. I feel i have gotten no positive information about low progesterone off the internet. am I doomed for a m/c?
I have been on the suppositories since I was 5 weeks pregnant, I am now 10 1/2 weeks.  I had some light spotting around 9 weeks and went in for an ultrasound and the baby looked great!  There was a strong hearbeat, moving all around and they could find no reason for the bleeding.  They guessed that it bnwas the suppositories that was causing some irritation and there was nothing to worry about.  Since then, I notice some red tinged discharge in the morning, usually the first time I go to the bathroom after using the suppositories.  Any light spotting while using them I dont' think is cause for concern.
I am taking progesterone inserts twice a day. I am having increasing difficulty inserting them. It feels like I can hardly get them in using the sticks provided to insert the tablets.  Almost like there is swelling and I am hitting something as soon as I barely have it inside.  I have to almost "force" them in just a little bit of the way.  I am also starting to have A LOT of itching and irritation around the opening and just a little inside my vagina.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal. Also, I went to the er about a week and a half ago because of a little spotting. They said they baby looked fine and since Ive had another u/s where things looked good. The er dr. said I had irritation on my cervix and that is where he believed the spotting came from. Since I havent had spotting.  I will be 8 wks. in 4 days. Thank you so much for anyone with information, I had two m/c last year one resulting in an emergency d&c. I have lupus and chrons disease also.  They also have me taking baby asprin in the am and lovenox shots at night.
I have been using progesterone now for 6 days. We have had 1 previous m/c over 2 yrs ago at 11wks 6 days but baby was measured at only 8wks and have been ttc for the entire time with irregular mentruals and went in for my annual and learned we were expecting, that was a thursday, fridays test results came back preg and monday had some spotting and bleeding call DR and had more blood work and after my bloodwork came back with low HCG levels in relation to fridays blood work had an u/s and came back 5wks 6dys and a heartbeat. Dr put me on progesterone suppositories b4 bed and lots of bedrest last night (sunday) was inserting medicine when taking tube out noticed and extremly dark supstance on the stick part of applicator. It does not give you instructions on how to clean the medicine out because it all doesnt just come out. I dont know if this is just left over from my spotting or if I am still spotting. I have a second u/s tomorrow (tuesday) I will be 7 wks and another one at 8wks. I am extremely nervous because last time I spotted i had a m/c.
Hi. I recently found out that I am pregnant. Tomorrow starts my sixth week! I am nervous, because this is my third pregnancy and I have never made it past my sixth week. It's always started with spotting, leading to a m/c. When I found out this time, I was again spotting. The doc put me on progesterone suppositories last week. The spotting stopped immediately; however, I don't have another appt. til Jan 14th and I run out of my suppositories on New Year''s Eve. I wonder if I will start spotting again and m/c before I can get back to see the Doc. I guess if it's going to happen, it will happen? The good news is on Friday my hcg was 966 and on Monday it was 4242!