Maternal & Child Community
prune juice for infant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

prune juice for infant

My dd is 4 months old and hasn't pooped in almost 2 weeks.  I called our pediatrician today and she said to give her some prune juice.  Has anyone done this before?  Does it work immediately or will it take an hour or a day to get through her system?  Just wondering because I won't be able to give it to her until tonight and I would hate for her to finally poop in the middle of the night and have to sit in it for hours - she's not one to wake up for anything!!
Tags: maternal
I tried prune juice in the little gerber bottles and my daughter gagged when she tried it. It was hilarious! So after that I just stuck to apple juice. It always worked. When she started eating a little bit of solids I would give her watermelon too. Not for a meal, but just to eat. For some reason watermelon always made her poop.
well 2 weeks is pretty long.  i am surprised this is all your dr is suggesting.  usually after 2-3 days you are supposed to call your dr.  prune juice can be given 1 to 4 ratio.  1oz prune to 4oz water.  i wouldnt want to give her too much.  she will have cramps.  i would also think your dr would be concerned w/ possibly too much iron in her formula, or are you breastfeeding.  usually breastfed babies dont have that problem.  formula can be watered down a bit, like 3 scoops of formula instead of 4 for 8oz.  massage her belly, or even ask your dr about using your finger or a thermometer inserted in her lil bottom to help things get moving.  it is serious to let her go that long....i would call your dr again :)
I always gave my DD Karo Syrup mixed with water to help her along, that with a little diluted apple juice, worked like a charm every time!
well good to hear she is ok, my dd is now 17 and had the same thing.  for future reference, she still only poohdinkies about every 2 weeks.  i have had her in the hospital for gas/stomach pains.  but she is underweight and never eats!!!!  she is one of those "i dont wanta get fat" teenagers.  i hate it but i have intervened on all levels.  sorry a bit off subject but i think there pooh patterns follow them into life?!  i hope she gets relief soon.  :)
Thanks for your help!  It's good to know a real life person who has the same "issues".  My dr assured me it happens, but still...

I think she's ok - like I said, she appears happy and not bothered by it.  But watch out when it finally comes!!  Phew...two weeks worth is certainly going to require some new clothes and a bath!  lol

Do you remember how quickly the poop comes after the prune juice?

I discussed her "pooping patterns" with her doctor months ago - she has always gone at least 5-7 days between.  I also got a second opinion and both said the same thing - as long as she doesn't appear uncomfortable and her stools remain soft, then it isn't anything to be concerned about.  They both just said to make sure her pattern remains the same.  So once she went beyond that 5-7 day frame, I called.  Yes, she is exclusively breastfeed.  The doc said 1/4 oz prune juice to 1/4 oz water...no more than that.  I'm thinking about mixing it with some milk, if she gags.  Would that still have the same affect?
Oh and we tried the thermometer three times - no luck.  And last night I massaged her belly for a good half hour.  She loved it!!  She was smiling and giggling the whole time.  So I would think that if it was bothering her, she wouldn't have enjoyed it so much??
i am not sure about how fast but you might notice she will get uncomfortable or cranky.  or heck she might be one of those lil buggers that gives no warnings...and wham....ick!!!  i dont think it should take more than 3 or 4 hours.  there lil systems are tiny and i know that after my ds eats i can expect a pooh diaper before the next feeding time.  :)
if the prune juice doesn't work.  You can also get the childs suppositories.  They willusually start to work in about 1/2 to 45 minutes later....Watch out do they go with those.  good Luck.
I had a similar problem with my DD... The doctor said to try Karo Syrup, but I read bad thing about it, so I didn't... The prune juice made my DD too gassy... I did was jd1419 suggested and used a childs suppository, so easy... My DD had a "movement" within 10 minutes... and yes, it was significant!
Good news!!  We did the prune juice last night and she LOVED it!!  She actually licked her lips and was wanting more!!  (Strange child)  She went about 4 times last night and couldn't be happier!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!