Maternal & Child Community
pulsating back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pulsating back pain

does anyone else have a throbbing type pulsating pain in their back? i have had it for a few days now and it comes and goes in intervals. not excruciating so much as just pretty uncomfortable. well it actually does make me inhale sharply, but it leaves in a matter of a minute.

geez i am falling apart. 10 weeks and 6 days to go
Opps sorry still not use to forum lol......i have a lot of back pain but i think its normal because I've always had bad back aches and they are a lot worse when i'm pregnant and I hate it...
What does your pain feel like and where abouts (lower, middle...)?  I had psciatic (?sp) nerve problems with both my children and they definitely came and went until I had the baby.  
You should lay on your side and feel your belly for a while.  If you are having a tightening in your uterus when you're having this pain, the back pain could actually be contractions.

In any event, if this continues you need to run it by your doctor.  Back pain is often an unrecognized form of preterm labor.  Unfortunately, it is also extremely common in pregnancy.  It may not be possible for you to tell the difference, so let your doctor know.  If its coming in waves 4-6 times or more in an hour, definately call your doctor right away.  
thanks peek, it seems like the pain comes and i can feel my pulse but painfully from mid back down and hip to hip for about a minute. then it goes away and doesn't happen again for up to 15 minutes. i don't think there is any regularity to it. i am going to lie down for a couple hours and see if it abates. i can't tell if my abdomen is tightening, all i feel is elbows and knees and butts!! the girls are super low today. i think they are both under my belly button romping. btw...my blood work from monday is in. my platelet count was 150 k/mm . aside from that my lft's are within normal ranges(haven't seen the numbers myself, just gotten a nurses report) and my urine study showed 170 mg/dl. i go back thursday to talk about the joys of the pre-e. (just to follow up from last week :)  )

bizee, the pain is from mid back to the middle of my butt hip to hip. it feels like one of those headaches you get where you feel your pulse throbbing in your head, but in my back. lower back pain is new to me. i have been having left flank pain associated with my ever so lovely preeclampsia.
I had those with my DD, and my doctor told me they are contractions.  Probably just the braxton hicks at your point, but that was the only area I got contractions even when I was in labor...  ??  Maybe that is what you are experiencing.--  although mine would pulsate for 5 to 15 or more mins before they would subside.
Only your doctor will probably be able to confirm but I know from my experience that's what mine was like and at times I couldn't walk in fear that my hip could give out.  I don't know if that a similar feeling to what you are experiencing.  To help matters worse, I also had severe back labour w/ my first. I hope thing let up for you soon...
I had back labor too with both of my boys.  It's hard to tell the back pain when it pulses, but sounds a bit like early contractions.  Definitely rest and see what happens.  I felt like my tailbone would explode from the pressure once they really kicked in.  If your belly is getting tight too, I bet that's what it is.  Just watch for a pattern and call your Dr., good luck!
i have had this pulsating back pain now for 3 days... im 22 weeks 5 days pregnant. i dont feel stomach hardening at all, atleast i dont think it is. im just worried its something bad. its always on my right side lower back level with belly button just in my right side of my back. anyone else ave this?
ME TOO !, trying to figure out what the heck this is, not excruciating but very annoying. im 22 weeks as well and it just started about 3 days ago. i was joking around with my husband that i think the baby is using my right kidney as a punching bag =). no other symptoms from me though, just the pain and Tylenol helps. may be " round ligament pain" ? i have been growing quite rapidly over the last few. . . who knows =) but my MD is not concerned as long as there are no urinary symptoms to go with it..