Maternal & Child Community
question about epidurals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

question about epidurals

hey ladies!  maybe it's just because i've been watching to many baby shows (a baby story, birth day ect ect), but i'm getting the feeling that recieving an epidural sucks...  i have at least 5 months to go before i have to worry about it, but my concern is having a contraction while the doc is doing the procedure.  from what i've seen on the shows, you have to be extremely still, but i'm known to be a bit jumpy, especially when it comes to twinges i'm not used to.  i've also noticed that some doc's numb you first, and others don't... is it the hospital's or patients choice?  also, what is that long thread like thing?  i just wish i could catch a program that explains in detail everything thats going on.  i don't know, perhaps i'm being to worrisome.... but this is my first child and i'm entitled to! lol  if you've had an epidural, whether it was a good experience or bad, please comment how it was!  thanks girls!
Blessings,
Candace
I had a epidural, and it was a great experience, and my labor was much easier, and my family was glad I got it, lol!!! I was having bad contractions after the dr. broke my water, so I wanted one. They gave it to me in between contractions. It made it so much better, and by no time it was time to push. I felt that whole part though. My Dr. likes her patients to feel the pushing part.
Good Luck!!!
yeah, i'm totally going to get one just because i don't want to become a super hosebeast and i want to enjoy the experience.  also, if i don't get it, i'm quite sure i'd kill my bf.  how was recieving the epidural though?  i'm just a bit nervous about it and honestly, i don't know why!
My sister got one with all three and was very happy about her choice. A lot of hospitals (or libraries maybe even) have videos on epidurals that will walk you through the entire procedure so you know exactly what to expect. Best wishes!
I have had four children and am pregnant now. I had epidural with first and last and absolutely nothing in between. If you were to ask me while I was in labor and in pain, I would say "GIVE ME THE EPIDURAL NOW!!!!" while my head was spinning around! But, having been through both experiences and in a sane state of mind now, I would say that my birthing experiences were much better without them. They hit the main nerve in my back and I had jolts down my legs for the first one, and the last one they hit the main vein in my back and blood shot out my back like a hose (DH told me that's what he saw). The long wire thing is the catheter used to administer the medication. The epidural did relieve lots of pain for me though, but I would still say to try to plan to go natural. It's up to you. Trust me though, once those contractions get hard and painful enough you will be BEGGING for the epidural!!! Good luck!
hi

I have had 3 epidurals with all my kids. IT is scary even after you have done before. They gave me a small little numbing shot first-but really doesnt do anything for pain. And then put long needle in, that had the tubing in it so when needle comes out the tubing stays in-to give medicine.(looks like string -like you mentioned-they thread it in)I had to have needle in my back till I had one full contraction(I dont know the reason but that is always what they did)-that is tough. But if you can get through it, it works within seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is awesome.

The pain isnt that bad, especially if you are already having contractions-doesnt hurt as bad as them. I think being tense makes it worse.
Hope this helps
I had an epidural and I'll do it for this one as well! I had no pain after I got it. I only felt pressure while pushing, but that's it. Afterwards (and during), I was totally numb from the waist down, so it took a few hours to even get to move my legs. I also was shaking alot, but that's due to the epidural. As far as them putting in the epidural..... It's a long needle, that's for sure. It kinda hurt and was uncomfortable while they put it in, so that was the worst part. I think it's worth it! Good luck to you! :)
I had an epidural also & was great. It was not painful to me to have one. I also was having contractions when I received mine. I was able to control my contractions when they gave me the epidural. It really was so big deal. It didn't even hurt!! And the rest of the delivery  was great.
I, too, had an epidural. I was very nervous, but I really didn't feel much of anything as I had taken an IV pain reliever (forgot what that is called) prior to the epidural.  I DID feel pain during delivery, though!  Not the tearing requiring the mother of all episitomies, but rather stomach/pelvic pain that was almost unbearable too that point that I was screaming for the dr. to go in with foreceps and full my little one out.  My husband will never let me forget that! lol  

I will definitely have another epidural, though. I can only imagine what it would be like without it, despite the pain I still managed to feel!
I never got a chance to get one with my first two.  With this one, I am definately getting one.  They do intrathecals here, though.  They work faster and take a much shorter time to administer.  I can't wait.  :)
wow!!!  thanks a lot for the input ladies!!!  june 18th can't come soon enough!
Blessings,
Candace
I agree...it's different for everyone. As unique as your pregnancy has been, so will be your labor. So you'll know when you're in labor if you'll need one or not. Just do your research so you know what to expect either way. That's what I did. I didn't make myself any promises, just decided to see how I felt in the moment. Personally I opted to go naturally, and not b/c I wanted to be a super hero (drives me nuts when people say that). It was just the right decision for me. I was not crazy about needles and I didn't want an IV and I felt with my particular labor, I could handle it. But it was extremely painful and I think I might have blocked out some of it since it was like nothing I've ever done before. But I'm due again in June and I will approach labor with the same open mind regarding pain medication. I'll make no apologies if I get an epi, and I won't expect an award if I don't. Do what's right for you. Just do your research is the best thing I can tell you....knowledge is power and if you educate yourself (which it sounds like you are doing) then it will be less scary. Good luck!
oh im due june 14!! I think my iv hurt more the the epidural(new nurse) poked five times before getting some one else.  LOVED the epi, still felt to push and I was up an hour after delivery walking I never would have made it without it I had a large op baby, and no one told me about back labor!! good luck
I've had three children I'm expecting my fourth in june and I had epidural w/ two out of the three. HAVE IT!  I did not feel like a better mom because I didnt w/ my third daughter.  I was scard to have it and still am this time, but it makes the pain so much more managable and I think it help me to be ready for the actual pushing. Just my opinion but I think the epidural is a wonderful thing!  GOod luck to you.
I had an epidural drip for about 10 hours.
I was a bit scared of it too because I watched the shows too but it really wasn't that bad.
I think the doc numbed it first and then I felt a burning feeling in thew area and it was done, less than 5 minutes later I could feel a huge relief and 10 minutes after no pain anymore.
The only thing is after I got really bad pain in my rectum coming from the baby going down and the epidural doesn't stop that pain.
My legs were really numb so the nurse had to move me from side to side every hour and then my feet were huge.
i have a couple of bulging discs and have been told that epidurals can (after they wear off) exacerbate this kind of back pain... any truth to it?
I have a bulging disc and so far I have had 4 epidurals and plan on having another very soon. It has not affected my disc at all. Good luck to you!

Epidurals are the best and if you twinge slightly it is nothing to worry about. If you are having a contraction you are supposed to tell them you are and they will wait till it's over then continue the procedure. I believe they do help you enjoy the birth better than having nothing and you still feel contractions just not as intense and who would want to. Definitely not me. Good luck to all!
Both times I had a birth plan for natural delivery and both times I told them to tear it up and give me the epi.  Both my babies were sideways and needed lots of help getting out.
I had an epidural with my son too.  I was induced and on day 2 of the induction.  I had been in active labor all night, my water had broke, I needed it.  I reacted to the pitocin and had "bunching" in my uterus so basically my contraction never came down.  It peaked, dipped a few in numbers and would climb right back.  I had one of those for almost 45 minutes continuous like that (the nurse told me later).  I did beg for the epidural and they pulled the Dr. fast for me.  I had to hold still and was contracting the entire time they placed it, so maybe I didn't notice the needle as much.  It did sting at first, but they did give me a shot first to numb the area before the big needle and threading the catheter.  It was so worth it, couldn't even feel pushing, but did well.  Once I was able to relax I sped up and made it through labor, even pushed my son out in under an hour, and he was over 10 lbs. and facing sunny side up.  I plan to take it again.  I would recommend taking a child birth class, they go over it for you and explain the hospital procedures and show you a video so you are better informed.  I thought it was way better than the IV drug they gave me to help me relax and get some sleep the first night.  Just made me feel drunk and loopy.  Try not to stress too much, you will know what is best for you when the time comes.