Maternal & Child Community
rapid heartbeat and breathlessness!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

rapid heartbeat and breathlessness!!!

Hi Ladies! I am hoping some other people have this same symptom because it is really bothering me. I am 29 weeks pregnant and for a while now I have been getting rapid heartbeats along with feeling out of breath. The weird thing is it is usually only in the mornings until about noon time and then I can start my day. it is an awful feeling and get a little nauseous at times with it too. I am taking my prenatels and Iron supp. as well. My obgyn says she thinks I am fine. Another thing that triggers it is after I eat breakfast, I know that sounds weird but if I do not eat breakfast it is not half as bad. I am strange huh? Well if anyone has any similar symptoms it would be of some comfort I think to know I am not dying!!! Thank you in advance!!
Wow, what I am about to tell you may scare you but it sounds like you already talked to your doctor.

I am now 13 weeks pregnant but when I was 9 weeks one morning my heart started racing.  I went to work and during the day I was loosing my breath so I called the OBGYN afraid the baby was not getting enough oxygen. He told me to lay down and call back if it does not stop.  It was like I just got done doing a workout but I did nothing to have this beat.  It did not go away and he told me just to go to the er to be evaluated that is was prob nothing.  Turns out my heart rythem was off track and they admitted me.  My rate went up to 180 norm is 60-80.  They kept me in the hospital for a week on meds trying to get it to convert with meds but it would not - they think due to pregnancy the converting just could not happen with the overflow of blood and fluids.  My heart was/is healthy I never had a problem in my life with it and the ultrasound of my heart showed it was normal just with a crazy beat.  On day number 8 in the hospital they put me to sleep and shocked my heart back to a normal rhythem.  I was in there a total of 9 days.  Me and the baby are fine now but it was scary.  

You are further along so your situation may be different but if it continues you may want to get checked out at the ER to see what your rate is.  

Good luck...  I was my OBGYN's only case ever of this and the youngest patient on the heart floor.
My heart rate has gone up from 80 to about 95 on a good day, but it has been known to be 120 with this pregnancy (I'm at 29 weeks).  The doctor told me just yesterday that the heart is pumping 40% more blood through your system, and it just has to work faster.  Also the blood is a little bit thinner, so it slips through fast. :)  The breathlessness could be from that, but also at this point in pregnancy the uterus it taking up a heck of a lot of room in your abdomen and it is pressing on the lungs.  Only when the baby "drops" do you start to feel like you are getting a really big lungful, now.  Do check with your doc in case the other poster's unusual situation happens to you, but it really sounds pretty normal.
Thanks so much for the advice.
What you are experiencing is quite common.  It is always a good idea to discuss these things with your doctor, as you did.  But in pregnancy those are two very common things.  At 31 weeks I am out of breath quite often. I had a lot of trouble with the racing heart at about 24 weeks, but over the last couple of weeks I haven't noticed it as much.