Maternal & Child Community
results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

results

i had the quad screening done on 7-9-07 got the results and they were positive for Downs.  the doctor reassured me there was no problem but, wants genetic testing done.  the ultrasound was exact with my due date.  any helpful suggestions, i don't know if i have anymore tears left.
Sometimes you got false possitive, and could mean you are in a high risk to have a baby with down's syndrome. I had the same problem with my first pregnancy and did go then for amnio test when I was 16 wks, it came back normal, he is 24 mnths and soooooo healthy. take it easy( easy said!!) Good luck, keep us updated.
I also decided AGAINST the quad screen because of the false positives. That test does NOT tell you if the baby will have down syndrome, just if it's at a high risk. You can always get a amnio done to know for sure. There are SOOOOOO many false positives it's unreal. Try to stay strong and don't lose hope yet. What were the exact numbers your test came back with??
I know what you are going through!  I'm not going to tell you not to worry because it's pointless.  You are going to worry untill you have that precious baby in your arms, then you will spend the rest of your life worring because that is just what mothers do. :).
But the good news is, there are a lot of false positives with the Downs screening especially.  All that means is you have a higher chance of having a baby with Downs.  I pray that your baby is born healthy, but if not then everything will be ok.  It won't be the life you were expecting, but you will love your baby just as much as if he/she were born "normal'.  I know hearing that right now doesn't take away the fear and sadness you are experiancing right now, but either way, everything will be fine.
Just hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  But please don't forget that there are so many women that have had a false positive with the screening for Downs.
Is your next step a 3D/4D ultrasound?  Are you going to be getting an amnio?  I hope the next testing won't take too long.  I think the worst part of it is waiting and being scared there is somethig wrong.  Just try and stay positive.  Either way we all will be here for you.  Keep us posted.
I know it's hard to do, but try to stay calm.  SO many people get false positives on those tests.  Seeing a genetic counselor will really help you identify if you should have the amnio done or not.  We chose not to do the quad screen because of the risk of false positives but then we were told after doing an ultrasound at 18 weeks that our son had a soft marker for downs because of something they saw with his heart.  We saw the genetic counselor who assured us after looking at every part of his body, we were not at risk for downs and doing an amnio was probably more risky then it was worth.  We were scared to death!  Everything is FINE with our son, no heart problems at all and he is the healthiest two year old now!  Best wishes!!!
they said it was genetic testing.  i know i have to go for a detailed u/s.  the amino is optional at this point.  i'm praying they will tell me there if everything is ok.  i know amino takes at least 2 weeks for results.  thank you to everyone who replied.  i will continue to keep everyone updated.  please keep us in your prayers.  i sleep with my bible under my pillow since i found out.