Maternal & Child Community
rice cereal and 1 month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

rice cereal and 1 month old

Is it too soon to start a 1 month old on rice cereal to help them sleep throught the night?.  If not, what if any are the possible dangers in doing so.
Tags: 1 month old
Yes, 1 month is too early for rice cereal.  The only thing a 1 month old needs is breastmilk or formula.  Rice cereal has not been proven to help a baby sleep, either.  Rice cereal can also cause constipation, which just makes sleep even more difficult.  Most doctors will tell you to wait until 6 months before feeding cereal or other foods.  The good news is, a lot of babies start to sleep better around this time anyway, so you might be in luck!  Just be patient, it will happen!
Oh, and if you were thinking of putting it in a bottle, it is also a choking hazard.  Just an fyi!
Yes it is too early for rice cereal or anything other than breastmilk or formula.
The following can result from starting rice cereal at this age:

delaying solids decreases incidence of food allergies

Increased incidence of childhood obesity. rice is empty calories. the baby may feel full, but not on anything nutritional. this will cause the baby to want more food because A) he's used to getting his tummy filled and B) his body will want nutrition (formula or breast milk).  

baby's digestive system may not be mature enough to handle it- can cause gas, stomach pains, constipation

Basically, by giving the baby rice cereal you would be going against current nutritional guidelines. It does not necessarily help babies sleep longer. my baby did not start sleeping longer when she started solids. that comes with maturity. Unfortunately, getting up with the baby is part of what we sign up for. It stinks, and some of us had to do it more than others, but it's something we accepted as a part of our job. In my opinion, it is a bit selfish to go against health guidelines to attempt to make such a tiny little thing sleep through the night.
I hope you're not giving it to the baby.  One month is way too young to be giving anything but breast milk/formula.
Yes it is too young. It is not proven it helps baby sleep through the night. And it IS a choking hazard. Babies have a gag reflex and his/hers isnt mature enough yet and it can seriously choke or cause damage. I know back in the "olden days" moms used to give cereal, etc to babies younger but it has been proven not to be a healthy thing. Baby's #1 nutrition for the 1st year is breast milk or formula. Baby foods are just to help the baby get used to the texture, etc til they are ready to move towards solids.
See I have a different oppinion on things... Well my situation is a little different. When my son was 3 weeks old he ended up in the hospital because he was weezing and from what I thought having trouble breathing. They switched him from Enfamil Lipil to Enfamil Prosobee Lipil because of a lactose intolerance. Before then they had diagnosed him with colic but that was not the case it was the intolerance! Then my little boy was screaming bloody murder at night because he was not full because of a acid Reflux problem. So they told me to put 1 tablespoon of cereal in a 4 oz bottle to help with the reflux at 5-6 weeks and it did not really help him sleep but it calmed him down! There is a formula called Enfamil AR which all the AR means is added rice so all I was doing was something that a formula has already done! I would never put it in his bottle unless that ped said to. Never do it just to get your baby to sleep because let me tell you it does not work! My son still gets up 2,3 even 4 times a night still so its not a fix! If there is a medically necessary reason to do it that is one thing but othewise its not safe at all!
yessssssssssss o please dont plus rice ahh it is the worst i used it once i should of listen to mymom with the rice it makes babies conspitated. 1 month is too soon honey it will hurt the babies stomach and wont digest it right. ceral doesnt even help them sleep my son was sleepin through the night at one month old now at 10 months he waking up for a bottle because he doesnt drink it during the day.
linzola1, your reasoning is different woman!!!  your dr had you do it for the baby's health!

i'm not trying to be mean, but uuuummmmm.....you don't give them cereal so THEY can sleep, most moms give it to the baby so MOM can sleep.....some babies don't have a sleep routine till 8 weeks+, and at 4 weeks, your wanting to give him cereal so he can sleep, he's not going to be fed enough and it doesnt guarantee he'll even sleep...he'll be p****d b/c he can't poo.....it'll cause constipation, choking hazards, many other problems....there's a reason they recommend feeding every 2-4 hours....it's so the baby gets enough nutrients, and food.....giving him cereal, would cut his nightly meal down, and cause the issues above i've mentioned, and also the ones others have mentioned.....
I don't know why but when I read " he'll be pissed if he can't poo" I burst out in laughter! IT is the truth my daughter will scream bloody murder when she can't poop = ]