Maternal & Child Community
rising HCG levels after ectopic surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

rising HCG levels after ectopic surgery

I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago and had a Dr appt last thursday and found out I had an tubal pregnancy and went in for surgery that evening.  At the time of surgery my hcg level was 3800 and today (6 days later) my hcg level is 5090 but they can't find anything with an ultra sound.  Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
I assume the doctor was able to see the ectopic pregnancy by ultrasound?  If so, it's odd to think he would not see the whatever-it-is that is now giving you the reading (in other words, if the embryo in the tube was visible enough to see by ultrasound last Thursday, why wouldn't whatever is giving you the increased reading be visible now?)  If it was, for example, one embryo in the tube and one in the uterus, it is puzzling that they couldn't see the one in the uterus, because presumably the embryos would be the same size.  (That said, I will mention that although it's almost unheard of, a woman in the news last year did ovulate once she was already pregnant, and had babies in the uterus that were a month apart.  But that was really a one-in-millions case -- in virtually every case a pregnancy shuts off ovulation.)   A piece of placental tissue left behind that is still "vascular" (i.e., still has blood flowing in and out of it and is still healthy) will give you continuing hCG readings.  The concern would be that if it is in the tube, it should be removed.  Are they going to look with ultrasound again?  
They did an ultra sound yesterday and could not find anything.  
What was the hCG reading yesterday?  Did they do another blood draw?

Without any other answers, I'd wonder if they left behind some placental tissue when they removed the ectopic.  You might run that theory by the doctor and see if he thinks it's crazy.
i recently attended hospital to have surgery for an ectopic pregnancy at 7 weeks gestation.  The hospital monitored my hcg levels which were rising slowly and therefore showing to them the likelihood of an ectopic as nothing showing in the scan.  I should mention that this one was my 3rd ectopic pregnancy in 3 years!!! so it sounds harsh but i feel i know more about them than the doctors do.
The first ectopic i lost my left tube and now last week the hospital took my remaining right tube.  after i came around from surgery the surgeon told me they did not see anything in my tube!!! so they took it out anyway!!!!
If not traumatic enough at 28 i not have the daunting task of ivf as the only form to have a family.

Now this week i went for my follow up bhcg to determine that they were decreasing after surgery and a scan the scan showed nothing  but low and behold my hcg levels are rising and i still have all the pregnancy symptoms.  I cant believe it....i have now to attend the hospital on friday for another blood test and scan

Has this happened to anyone else

Please reply
hello

I recently had an ectopic removed from my left tube (my tube was not removed).  This was my second ectopic in 3 years.  Following the surgery my beta levels were dropping.  Recently it was discovered that my beta levels were slowly increasing.  The last 3 blood tests indicate a slowly rising beta level.  My doctor seems to be monitoring things carefully, but I am wondering why he is not treating the problem. I mean, what is he waiting for.  

Has anyone experienced this before.  If so, what was done in you case.
Was wondering what has happened in all these cases here?  I had a ruptured ectopic removed (including tube) April 25 and HCG fell rapidly each week after, until this week when it instead rose from 5.5 to 12.  We're talking about super low numbers so I don't think much of it at this point, but what to each of you?
I know this is a long shot- your posts were so long ago but I just went through the same thing. My tube was removed I was told I had an ectopic pregnancy (excruciating pain) but later was told by my doctor there was no fetal tissue found. My level slowly has risen since surgery. From 100 to 224 to 350 within a week and a half period. I bled for a week after surgery and they gave me the methotrexate shot when my levels were at 224. Please help! My doctor is not answering any of my questions, I'm hoping you all know from experience and can help me. Thanks
Honestly I think doctors try not to appear ignorant of things they are supposed to be experts on. I wish they wld just get off their high horses and tell patients the truth that they too font know. We know that they don't have perfect knowledge. I have a lit of respect for doctors who are honest enough to say am not sure what's happening but let me research.
Its been awhile since your post but I just had surgery to remove a bleeding ectopic pregnancy that the doc said was 8-9 weeks.  I was only 5w4d at the time. No fetal tissue found in the mass for me either. I think the ectopic was from last december and just stuck around for 8 weeks and reabsorbed the fetal tissue. Waiting to see if there is in fact another baby still viable. My hcg was 529 on 2/4 before surgery. Dropped to hcg 130 on 2/6. As of today home tests look to be getting darker. I plan to test again tomorrow. Repeat bloodwork is set for 2/11