Maternal & Child Community
rising hcg levels but loss of pregnancy symptoms at 5 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 5w pregnant today.  My HCG at 14dpo was 99 at 16dpo it was 270.  I was feeling very tired, dizzy and my breasts were tender and swollen, I had to go to the bathroom all of the time.  By 18 dpo I had lost my pregnancy symptoms except for an occassional twinge of dizziness.  I asked my Dr. to do another HCG test on 19dpo fully expecting to see the numbers dropping, but they were up to 680--even though my symptoms seemed to have vanished.  I am now at 5 weeks (22dpo) with next to no pregnancy symptoms and an ultrasound scheduled for Sept. 26th (8 days
from now).

I have 2 children 5 & 7, I have had 1 miscarriage--spotting at 13 weeks but the u/s measured 9 weeks.  I have had 3 chemical pregnancies over the past 13 mo. that we have been ttc.  I am taking foltxx and progesterone supps (this is the first pregnancy since I began taking both).  Is it a bad sign that my symptoms have almost entirely vanished even though my hcg has continued to climb?  Does activity level have anything to do with preventing another miscarriage at this stage of the game?  Are there any tests that I should request of my RE?  I know that it is such a waiting game, but I am wondering if anyone has had something similar happen to them?
I just replied to a similar post this morning:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Maternal/messages/43343.html

It sounds too early to me to determine if you are miscarrying.  Even in 8 days, you'll only be about 6 weeks pregnant, right?  It would be nice if you saw something at that time, but I wouldn't be totally discouraged if you didn't.

Are you bleeding?  Cramping?  Is your doctor concerned?

I remember when I thought I was miscarrying...I seriously thought that my symptoms were subsiding.  I was still pregnant, though (and I still am).

If I'm reading your post correctly, I think that you are worrying prematurely.
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my post.  No, I have no bleeding and no cramping.  I still feel slightly tired and once in a rare while a little bit nauseous.  I'm just concerned because I really was feeling MUCH stronger symptoms a week ago.  I know that last week (at only 4 weeks) is very early to feel anything, but there is no doubt in my mind that what I felt then was markedly different.  When I have had my chemical pregnancies I always "feel pregnant" right away, have a positive test and then within 24-48 hours nothing and a negative HPT and blood test.

I'm encouraged that my HCG levels have continued to go up.  I just pray that I get good news next Tuesday.  Thanks again!  And good luck to you too.
Wow, I'm kind of experiencing the same thing.   Breasts not as sore, don't have to pee as often (though I'm still pretty hungry and thirsty).  But unfortunately I don't yet know anything.  I'm supposed to be about 4 1/2 weeks now, and had a hcg level on Friday and then again today, so I'll know tomorrow if things are going in the right direction.  But I totally know how you feel.  I hope it works out well for the both of us.  Keep me posted.
Thanks very much for your comments.  MJSmommy, good luck with the hcg results today. Hope you get good results.  I am not feeling too encouraged this morning--still no symptoms, but also no spotting or cramping, so I guess I still have a glimmer of hope.  I will just have to wait until Tues.  If I didn't think that I would qualify as 100% crazy, I would call and ask them to do another blood test today to see where my HCG is at.  Wouldn't it make sense that if the HCG is rising as it should I should be feeling progressively more and more "pregnant" and not less and less?  Isn't HCG what makes you feel all of the pregnancy symptoms?

I'm not sure why my symptoms began to vanish as my hcg was rising if this is the case.  What else causes the nausea, exhaustion, breast tenderness etc.?  Wishing everyone luck!
I know that mother's usually know their own bodies but every pregnancy is different. 5 weeks is still early enough that some symptoms might yet to make a strong and definate appearance. I know how that feels - I am 11 weeks pregnant with #4 and already have 3 children but I did m/c my first pg and I didn't have symptoms at all. I had shocking morning/night sickness with first 2 - not so bad with 3rd but even less with the 4th. With all my pregnancies I don't really remember my boobs getting 'big' (I'm not that big anyway) or even badly tender...just more sensitive. Even now I still worry on some days whether my baby is still alive as some days the symptoms are stronger than others. I think when we're pregnant we expect every day to be worse (in terms of symptoms) and stronger than the day before and it can be very uncertain for us when this doesn't happen. I hope for your sake that your symptoms start picking up. It's a good sign that your hcg levels are rising - although we also know that this doesn't always mean that things are ok. I will pray for you and the baby and hope your u/s goes well.
I'm so glad to find this post!  I am 5 weeks, 3 days.  Last week, crazy strong pregnancy symptoms!  Sick, tired, headache, sore breasts, etc.  Little to NO pregnancy symptoms since Friday.  I panicked yesterday and called my OB.  Did an u/s, they found NOTHING.  Is that normal?  I had a Quant blood test and Progesterone checked.  Waiting for the results today.  This is my first pregnancy.  I always thought it would be different.  I've been a wreck!  Any advice?
At 5 weeks, 2 days, I think it's too early to determine if there is a baby or not.  My doctor told me that you usually can see the yolk sac at 5 1/2 weeks and the fetal pole by 6-6 1/2 weeks.  He didn't see either with me at 6 weeks, 2 days and I ended up not having a blighted ovum as he suspected.  The thing that reassured me while I was worring was reading questions and answers with an ultrasound technician online--several times she stated that 6 1/2 weeks is a "grey area" and that ultrasounds can be inconclusive that early.  Here's where I read this:
http://www.pregnancy.org/ultrasound.php

Oops...I mistyped.  I wrote "...several times she stated that 6 1/2 weeks is a "grey area" and that ultrasounds can be inconclusive that early."  I should have typed "6 weeks" (if I'm remembering correctly).
Thanks for your posts!  My results came back today, hcg 369, progesterone 22.7.  Doc says this is good, but they wanted me to come in for an exam anyway to see if I'm "tender" anywhere.  I'm getting blood levels done again tomorrow afternoon.
A lot of women don't even know they are pregnant at this point in pregnant.  It's completely normal to have little to no symptoms, and though it is scary for you given your history it doesn't mean anything is wrong.  

I had a lot of days where my breasts wouldn't hurt and then the next day they were so painful.  It's normal.  It's normal for your symptoms to change from day to day, and it's normal to lose symptoms or have them disappear and come back later.

Some women never have any symptoms in early pregnancy.
5 weeks is very early to either se anything on an u/s or have preg. symptoms steay every day. I did not see anything on an u/s until after 6 weeks. I think you girsl should stay positive. good luck and let us know.
I am 5 weeks 2 days.  I dont have my first appointment until Monday. I have had 1 previous m/c.  My boobs have been very sore for a couple of weeks and in the last week or so the top of my belly has been swollen, like I was going to start my period and I was bloated, but this morning my breasts are hardley even sore at all and my belly has gone down.  I am so scared.  I will probley go get another test at lunch and take it just to make sure it still shows BFP.  Let me know what happens with you.
I am so, so glad that you got good news.  I hope that everything continues to go well for you.  Keep us posted.

I am having such a difficult time remaining positive.  If my symptoms would even come and go I would have something to hang onto, but it seems like with each new day I feel less and less pregnant.  Yesterday nothing!  I could not have felt more normal, there was not even a twinge of anything.  What worries me is that there has been such a steady decline--not symptoms one day, nothing the next.  Honestly, I am so embarassed to be doumenting every flicker of nausea or tender breasts here on the internet but I am just so happy to have a place to vent.

Recurrent miscarriage (more than two consecutive) is only supposed to happen to 1-2% of all women--kind of a tiny number.  It is just so lonely to continue to go through this.  It is hard to keep telling friends and family that I'm pregnant (this is my 7th pregnancy) only to have to call with the bad news a few days or weeks later, so I just don't tell them anymore.  Wow, I sound so depressing (sorry).  Just a bad day.  I am so blessed to have my two kids, and my heart goes out to any of you who are trying to have your first and going through this.

I am going to hang on to that little glimmer of hope because I still have had no spotting etc.  I just can't believe that I have to wait until Tuesday for that ultrasound.  

Just curious, how long does it normally take for spotting/bleeding to happen if a baby does not develop?  I am 5 weeks 2 days and like I've mentioned 100 times, I have had a loss of symptoms.  When would I normally start to see spotting?
I'll let you know.  I hope things go well for you.  Keep in mind that a blood test will provide better info. than an HPT.  One of the "early" HPT will still register positive if your HCG is around 50 and if you just started to notice changes it could still be way up there.  Also, as so many people have said, at this early stage symptoms come and go. Hang in there and I'm sending you good luck!
Hey,
i'm wondering if I could get some advice... Heres my situation. I'm 25 I had a miscarrage (miscarriage) in july my D&C was the 27th at 11 weeks but at the u/s it should the baby had grown only to 8 weeks. I had no symtoms (symptoms), the only thing was i had lost my nausea and i didn't feel pregnant anymore. so now were in Sept i had a period on 24 aug. and i've missed my period this month. i took a pregnancy test and it was a fiant line, so went to the dr and there was a faint line too. i'm not having many symptoms just urinating alot. I did another pregnacy test and it was positive. and one this morning and it didn't work crazy to do so many but i had a really stressful day at work and i just needed to know. I work in a stressful environment. i took one this morning and it didnt work. anyway i'm hoping to experience some symptoms i definatly am not constipated, more of a nervous feeling of having to do a bowel movement. so that's my story i guess i just have to wait i was wondering if this is semi normal??
Unsure of HCG levels. Confirmed elevation on Sept. 8/06. Had lots of pregnancy symptoms until 1 day prior to first u/s (Sept.26). I was 7 weeks on that day. Poor visibility but looks like a faint pulsation could be seen. Doctors worried because no pregnancy symptoms. I feel empty. U/S scheduled for Oct. 3 (8 weeks). Can anyone offer there advice?

I disagree with any woman who says 5 weeks is too early to feel symptoms. I am on my 3rd loss in the past 1 1/2 years. I feel the symptoms about 2 days before AF so I test, test positive and then about 4 1/2 weeks ALL symptoms go away but levels keep rising. Around 6-7 weeks they do an ultrasound but just an empty sac. I always hold out until 12 weeks then opt for the D and C. Now, this does not mean it can't be different for others and each pregnancy may be different within that individual but I know my body and I've been pregnant 9 times and it's been the same every single time. Some symptoms are more severe, some come earlier, some go away faster but there has always been at least 1 symptom through every pregnany and if you know for a fact you had symptoms before hand and don't have ANY for at least a week then you should be seeing a doctor.
I'm sorry about your frustration. I know it all to well. You had a flutter, that's positive!!! Keep your chin up.
This has been very helpful to hear other stories and concerns.  I am 5w3d - 4th pregnancy.  I have had 3 m/c - 2 w/normal chromosonal testing, last one with chromosonal defects.  Dr. thought I had a leuteal phase issue when all infertility testing came back normal.  With this pregnancy, I have had extreme fatigue, up until 4wk...now - an ocassional nap is needed, and my breats are sore only once in awhile.  I still have no nausea, and am worried because my symptoms seem to be coming and going.  Will have my hcg repeated tomorrow and then again Monday to see if there's a decrease.
Anyone out there who has reported these symptoms and go through the 12 week stage and everything is fine?  I only see women on the site chating about going for their next tests, but then we don't hear from them.  Anyone have this happen to them through 12 weeks and they maintained a viable pregnancy?  I sure could use some reassurance....
I am five weeks pregnant and for the last 4 days I have had spotting (pink. red, and brown) when I use the bathroom, but I also am seeing what looks like little pieces of tissue when I go to the bathroom.  I haven't had any cramping, just discomfort at times.  I am supposed to go to the doctor tom. so they can check my blood levels but I won't know anything for 3 days.  Help!  I keep thinking that I have miscarried and the doctor said that I could have or my cervix could just be expanding and causing all of this.   Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
I'm currently 7 weeks, I too have lost my symptoms.I never had morning sickness and my hcg at 6 weeks 15,000. My boobs are less sore and I'm not as tired or out of breath as I was a few days ago. I've noticed this pattern at 4 weeks.I was sure I was miscarrying but my hcg levels were normal everytime. at 6 weeks with no symptoms and feeling down my doc gave me an u/s Heartbeat of 127.... Not bad. But still not convinced, went in today for blood hcg, U/S tomorrow, scared!! I too miscarried at 8 weeks,on april 06.Wish me luck... By the way, Had spotting since 4 weeks pregnant, and still spotting now, doctor said he is'nt concerned....
I am 6 wks pregnant with number four. The only symptoms I have are very tender breasts & clear discharge. All my other pregnacies I was sick as a dog 24/7, even before A/F would arrive. I had two miscarriages, so that totals to 6 times pregnant, and this time hardly nothing! My HCG levels were 202 on 10/24 and then 564 on 10/26. I went again for blood work on 10/30 and i'm waiting for my results. I can't help but worry if this pregnancy is going to be ok. I know they say every pregnancy is different, but my God, why is this one SO different from the other 5? And my husband was so excited, he told the whole family!!! Am I jumping the gun to fast? Or do I have reason to worry?
Hi there,

I am also 5
Hello Everyone,

I got my HCG results back and it jumped from 564 on 10/26 to 3200 by 10/30. My doctor sent me for a u/s on 11/1. I was able to see my baby's heart beat, the machine couldn't pick up the sound, but we saw it. Everything is looking positive, but I still can't help but to be worried. Once a woman experiences a m/c, then its hard not to worry it might happen again in the first trimester. God is in control of all things, all I can do is hope and pray it goes well. Good luck to all.
Hello!

I have had 4 scans and am supposed to be 7 weeks pregnant but as my cycles have been 48 days is hard to know when I concieved so I feel it might only be 6 weeks, have very strong symptoms getting worse but empty gestational sac has led sonogropher each time to tell me i have a blighted ovum.  Refused to get D & C this early.  In last 14 days my HCG levels have doubled every 2 days going from 1200 to 61,000, should they not start dropping off by now if nothing is developing? I have had no cramping or bleeding. Have one healthy 12month baby.  does anyone know when the levels should start tapering and dropping with blighted ovum?  Many thanks, is hard to move on and the waiting is awful.
So how did things go with your pregnancy?
Just an update as I read all the comments but rarely heard much feedback, good or bad.

I had a blighted ovum and finally was convinced after 10 weeks that nothing was there!  Is such a hard thing to deal with as no one really knows what it is....pregnant with all the symptoms but no baby?  Are you mad?  Had a D & C and that was 2 weeks ago.  It has been really hard and I think that for anyone out there who has been diagnosed with the blighted ovum you should hang on to hope but early scans are more damaging than good, have a scan at 12 weeks and you know for sure instead of weeks of not knowing.

They can be misdiagnosed but the results are usually correct.  I am trying again and would love to hear from anyone who has had this. I was told in the hospital that it was rare but I live in a small town in NZ and suppose the cases are smaller there, feel a bit of a freak and cant talk to anyone about it, reallly finding it hard at the mo :(
Hi girls..
I am currently 5 w5days pregnant and I lost all of my symptoms. i didn't have much to start wtth, just hunger, sore bbs, a little nausia, but today everything is gone....I am going for u/s on Monday but I am so concerned..it seems like many women who lose their symptoms end up in m/s with a sac and no baby..
That's what happened to me back in April, when I had a m/c....Im very scared...
I am on here looking for an answer to exactly the same question as you.  I am 5w 3 days, and have been bloated and had sore, swollen breasts until today.  Today I felt not the least hint of pregnancy, and due to my m/c last November, I immediately started to panic.  I know EXACTLY how you are feeling right now.  I will say a little prayer for both of us and hopefully everything will be ok.  Reading other posts on here did help me think that maybe a sudden loss of symptoms could be "normal."  I wish you the very best and a successful doctor's visit.  Try not to worry all weekend... (like I won't be doing the very same thing!)  Good luck.
I was told that symptoms come and go so do swollen tender breasts....I don't know how I am going to survive until Monday when I go for my first u/s, but I am panicing big time because I really want to see a little fetus there!!!!! Yesterday my tender breasts reappear and then today morning, went away....so I try not to notice every hint since it can drive you insane...
when are you going for u/s?
Hi ladies!
I just wanted to add a couple things. I am 5 weeks tomorrow and i have no symptoms, well i do pee a lot. I just had my first hcg test today because i m/c a couple years ago so i am very nervous!
Symptoms going can be ok and it can be bad. My first i had sore boobs and then nothing and i m/c at about 6 weeks.
My second i had sore boobs, nausea, tired and then at 7 weeks boom gone! I freaked went in and everything was fine. I had my daughter and i am hopefully going to be giving her a sibling with this pregnancy.
But, my Dr told me not to put too much into symptoms because everyone varies so much.
so good luck!
Hi there
I am going though exactly the same thing.  5wk 2 days today and boobs went right down yesterday after being huge and tender for about 3 weeks.  Got strong period type pain in the night and was convinced I would be bleeding when i woke up.  Have had 3 past miscarriages, one at 5 1/2 wks, one at 9wks 5 days and one at 10 wks.  So rather nervous but good to hear that symptoms can drop off and HCG levels are still rising.  Got internal U/S on Monday and start fragmin injections to help implantation, on the aspirin already.
Wish me luck
hi there, do you feel breast shrinking at week5 +? I felt it since yesterday! Weird.
5/June: HCG 5000+ Symptoms gone, except abdominal discomfort, squeeze the nipple to feel the soreness, u/s can only see sac, nothing else.
8/June: HCG 12000+ Symptoms gone, except abdominal discomfort, squeeze the nipple to feel the soreness
9/June: Symptoms gone, breast shrinking, no soreness, don't feel like eating at all.
Doc ask me to wait one more week for u/s... I am not sure I am OK or not.
Hi there, I am 5 weeks 5 days pregnant. I had really bad symptoms at the begining of my pregnancy. Sore boobs, feeling bloated, feeling sick, feeling hungry. Now everything seems to be just going away. I have had pain in my left side but no spotting or bleeding. Have been to doctors twice and he said I have to call on tuesday to arrange a scan. Am finding it really hard at the moment because work is difficult and the lady I work with is 5.5 months pregnant and seems to lapping up the attention! I feel so miserable and I just want to cry. I have had surgery in the past which led to my left ovary being removed, so am at high risk of ectopic. I am in the UK and it seems that the doc's don't do HCG blood tests over here as i am sure I would have been offered one by now.

Pregnant friend at work asked me if I was feeling sick or tired yet, and nothing! Infact last night I was awake in the middle of the night worrying about ectopic pregnancy tryng to deal with pain in my side. Problem is with the pain, is when I start thinking about it, it gets worse! Psychosomatic? Ectopic? Just want to stay at home in bed and hide from the world.
Hi - me and you are in the same boat and its horrible isn't it ? Im supposedly 6 weeks pregnant today but I have no symptoms whatsover Im totally convinced this is a blighted ovum and I have no faith in this being a baby at all. Im just in complete limbo. I rung the doctors and just asked for a HCG test, why dont you do that ?
iam 51/2 weeks prego and all my symptoms have dissapered i recently had intercourse and started bleed doc said it was normal...this wll be my third pregnancy 1 one had my baby at 6 months he didnt make it.2nd was due to a misscarage. so iam reall scared about this on is it okay for your symptoms to dissapear.