Maternal & Child Community
rubella not immune

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

rubella not immune

Another question: blood work says i'm not immune to rubella (which i assume means the MMR i had 30 years ago has worn off). other than staying away from kids with measles.. will they recommend getting vaccinated, or is that not safe while pregnant? thanks in advance-
i cant imagine that they would expose you to that during pregnancy.  A vaccination is enough exposure so that your body can create an immunity.. soo.. like i said.. i doubt that they would expose you to rubella while you are pregnant.. They will probably recommend that you get the vaccine soon after birth..

Women known to be pregnant should not receive the MMR vaccine, and pregnancy should be avoided for four weeks following vaccination with MMR. This is because the vaccine contains live virus.
Ask your doctor about precautions you need to take and dont stress about it, many many women are not immune to rubella.
hugs
xxx
Hi, this is the info I got from the book given to me by my ob/gyn called "Your pregnancy and birth" written by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.  Here is what is says about vaccines.  
The following vaccines usually are not given during pregnancy as a rule bute the benefits may outweigh the risks if you're likely to come in contact with the infections:
Hep A
Hep B
Pneumonia
Rabies
Polio
Diphteria
Tetanus
The following vaccines contain a live virus and should be avoided during pregnancy:
Lyme disease
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Varicella (chickenpox)
Hope the info helps
I needed a rubella shot too when I was pregnant. The doc had me wait till I had her. They shouldn't give it to you when you are pregnant.
ok, thanks. i'm gonna call my kids' doc and make sure their vaccinations are all good. my oldest is 7 and goes to public school so most of the kids there should be vaccinated, but i understand they can be exempted for religious/philosophical objections to vaccines (we live in California)....?
I am 20+ weeks pregnant and am not immune. My dr ran the test at my first appointment, it came back at a level of 8, it needs to be at least 10 to have immunity. My dr told me that they will not vaccinate a pregnant woman, and that I had to be VERY careful not to be near anyone with measles or rubella. My dr told me that they will vaccinate me as soon as the baby is born!!
No vaccinating for rubella during pregnancy.

I have to be tested every time I change jobs.  Sometimes I test positive, sometimes negative.  When I test neg, they redo it and surprisingly, it's always been positive so far.  You might be immune after all.  Have them repeat it if you want, or just wait and get the vaccine after you deliver.  It won't hurt to have it again.

I must be weird, but you all know "dat", anyway.
I also tested not immune to rubella at one of my routine appts, during my last pregnancy. I just had to have a MMR shot before I let the hospital after I had her.
Tiffany
I'm not immune anymore either.  Like everyone else says they'll just give you a shot before you leave the hospital.  No biggie.  It's very rare to be exposed to it.  It's possible, but really not likely.  You should be careful around sick people, but that is true anyway.  Now, you can't get pregant for three months after getting the shot, but as my doctor says, "Why would you want to!"