Maternal & Child Community
ruptured uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ruptured uterus

In december 2002 at 30 weeks of my third pregnancy (one previous C section in 2001) I awoke with tremendous pain where I couldnt walk, I was taken to the hospital where I was monitored and was told things were fine but id have to stay in to be checked overnight. I had some sleep the pain had subsided and I went for a walk where I vomited I went back to bed and had some more excruciating pain, the midwife sitting next to my bed carried on reading her magazine whilst i clawed at her for some help as gas and air wasnt helping she did nothing but tell me to stop making such a noise. 5 hours later they monitored me again and found no heartbeat from the baby so I was given an ultrasound scan whereapon it wa found my baby boy had died. I had a spinal block and was put to sleep and the baby was delivered.
Previously in 2001 I had a "T" classical C section, the doctors believed this is what caused my womb to rupture after the placenta had come away from the wall of the uterus.

I am now 16 weeks pregnant and I am concerned about what will happen this time around, the doctor says a delivery another C section to be performed around 30-34 weeks can anyone give me some advice or tell me the consequences of this pregnancy as the doctors do not give me enough advice even when i ask
I am so sorry for you loss.  This is truly heartbreaking.

I think your doctors are correct to deliver you early.  Generally speaking delivery would usually be scheduled at 34 weeks or later, but with your history, I'm sure an even earlier delivery might be considered.

They will probably give you some steroid shots several days before the scheduled birth, to help the infants lung development.  You might still see some respiratory or other organ system problems from a preterm birth, even with the steroid shots.  

Best of luck to you, and I'll keep you in my thoughts.
I too am sorry for your loss....
Planning on another section does seem to make sense. But if your Dr isn't giving you the info you need, I would start doing some serious research on your own. Perhaps this will help you to come to your own conclusion. Mayo Health Clinic has an excellent site, and there are many others as well. Best of luck!
thankyou :), i think i will start checking some more info and get some more information as the doctors here in England well the NHS isnt exactly a great service so I can always go private and ask for a second opinion
I have a girl friend who experienced the same thing at 28weeks and she is 20 weeks along with this pregnancy and they put her on disability right away they wanted her off her feet as much as possible. She too is scheduled for a early c-section but I think her's is at 34weeks. How awful for both of you....She is very worried this time around as I'm sure you are too. Best of luck.
It is now 9/7/07 and I am just reading your question about uterine rupture from 12/6/04.  I too had a classical c -section and subsequently suffered a uterine rupture resulting in the loss of my son on June 24,2007.  I would like to have another child and was hoping you could give me an update.  Did everything go well with your pregnancy?
Christopher's mom