Maternal & Child Community
self tanning lotions while pregnant, safe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is it safe?  I am just entering my 2nd tri and would love to look a little tan at a wedding on saturday and another in two weeks.....
I have the very same question! I'm in a wedding on 5/20 and our dresses are knee-length and black which just makes for a more stark contrast between the dress and my super pale legs! I have a Dr. appt on 5/12 and i'm going to ask her what she thinks. I would love to Mystic Tan (spray tan booth) b/c it's so quick and easy, but don't want to take any chances with my little bean! I'll post her answer as soon as i have my appt., but i'm afraid it won't help you for your wedding this weekend. Btw - how far along are you?

CP
I do spray tanning for a living.  I will not do this while I am pregnant.  I have done a couple pregnant women but most dr.s will not allow..which i don't blame them.  I know what i breath in while i am working....I do a rub on tan now.  I would ask your dr. if you could do that.  I would advise that you try it first because like hair color with our hormones the way they are may turn you a funky color.  When i do my rub on tan to my clients it does get on my arms some and I turn the same color as usual.  If your doc does allow a sunless tanner rub on might i suggest Famous Dave's Tanner.  I get it on the internet or ebay.  It will not turn you organge.
I AGREE.  I WILL NOT TAN MYSELF AND I AM WHITE AS A GHOST AND WITH DOING TANNING I USED TO USE IT OFTEN.  I DON'T DO MUCH OF ANYTHING THAT IS WORTH A GAMBLE.  I AM GLAD SOMEONE ELSE AGREES BECAUSE I AM OFTEN ACCUSED OF BEING PSYCHOTIC BECAUSE I AM SO CAREFUL WITH EVERYTHING.  THE ONLY THING I DO IS CARRY THINGS LIKE LAUNDRY UP AND DOWN STEPS.  IF YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOUR MAN TO DO IT......NEVER GETS DONE!  LOL...DOC SAYS AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HURT I CAN DO IT.  I AM A VERY ACTIVE PERSON DOING MASSAGES EVERYDAY STILL AT SEVEN MONTHS PREGO.  BUT I AM NOT HARDLY EVEN SHOWING YET.
Definitely look at the ingredients. Anything with vitamin A is a no-no as it is easily absorbed into the body and has been linked with bone deformities in growing babies. In addition to asking your doctor, ask your pharmacist as well. Often tiems they are far more knowledgeable about the contents of products on store shelves.

I personally stay away from all of it while pg, not worth the gamble : )

Andi
My dr says that this shouldn't be done while pg because everything absorbs into your skin which could affect your baby.  I always felt like a ghost when i was pg compared to everyone else, but i was scared of hamring my baby just to look tanned.
Hello Ladies,

I would just like to remind all the ladies out there, that yes, we all want to avoid chemicals in our food, milk and our household while being pregnant. It is very important. I also want to remind everyone that there are alot of chemicals in skincare today, and pregnant women should only use chemical free or Organic face creams.

Your skin is an organ - that you are sharing with your unborn child. Any chemicals applied to your skin will feed the growth of your child. And please do your research on the internet regarding chemicals in skin care products.

My personal recommendation, is the Made from Earth product line. They are completely chemical free and organic, and their products have a shelf life of 6 months, because they are not presevred with chemicals, but they do use quality ingredients. I used their 3 Berry Face Serum while I was pregnant, and its a great face cream I highly recommend.

www.madefromearth.com

Best of luck to everyone!