Maternal & Child Community
shingles and pregnancy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

shingles and pregnancy

Hello all, Hope everyone is doing good. I have a question.. my husband just came back from the doctors and was told he has shingles. I have heard that its dangerous to be around him. Does anyone have any info about shingles and pregnancy, this would be a great help if you do . Thanks
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
shingles is very dangerous to a PG woman cuz the baby has never had the chicken pox (same virus) and its developement can be damaged becuz of it. your hubby should not be around you at this point till all his sores have scabbed up and dried. what ever you do don't touch him, you will be fine and won't have any affects if you have already had the chicken pox. it is your baby that is at risk. your body can fight it but the baby's can't. i hope all goes well and just be cautious.

love...kimmie
Blank
YES it is definatly dangerous to be around someone with shingles. When I was pregnant my grandmother was in the hospital, and she developed shingles. It is very contagious. The nurses wouldnt even let me in the room to see her. When I did get a chance to see her I couldnt touch her. Its easier for pregnant women to catch it because their immune system is so slow. Be careful. Id tell your DR
Blank
im sorry.....it easier for pregnant women to PASS it to their child because their immune .......
Blank
I would consult your doctor. My understanding is that IF YOU have had chicken pox, you should be fine and so should baby. Definitely call your OB right away and get their input.

Andrea
Blank
I just thought of something...my husband and my son took a bath together 2 nights ago, is that bad?
Blank
thanks for all your responses. I talked to my doc, said to stay away from hubby and I should be fine. hopefully everything will be ok. Thanks everyone and have a good weekend
Blank
definitly call or see your doc cuase there are differant types or stages of shingles, one you just can not touch the person, the other is airbourne. Either way at the hospital I refuse to help either one, so please please please call your doc and see what you should do. Good luck and keep us posted.
Blank
has your son had the chicken pox yet? if he hasn't expect him to get them in 14 days. he will run a low grade fever and they will first crop up on his torso.....i would stay away from him at that time too. the virus is most contagious BEFORE the outbreak (24-48 hrs) of the rash and is airborn....he will probably get a low grade fever then.

kimmie
Blank
Yes,my son  had the chicken pox when he was 4, so I am hoping him and I will be ok. Personally I think my husband was missdiagnosed because at first the doc said it was poison ivy, he went back the next day and was told it was the shingles, and the outbreak is only on hubby's ankle. I think the doc is a moron but I will still stay away from him. Thanks Everybody!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank