single umbilical artery
i am 24 weeks pregnant, and was diagnosed with a single umbilical artery with normal u/s results.  my doctor is not concerned.  i am concerned.  could this of been caused when i was 91/2 weeks pregnant and exercised in hot weather and got overheated.  i also would like to know if anybody else had this and if they were worried also.
If your dr. said everything is fine, I think you should relax. I know it's hard not to worry. I'm sure he would have told you if you had anything to be concerned with. Good luck!!!

Oh, by the way, if you have more then one question to ask, you should put them both together. We run out of room here sometimes. Thanks.
Single umbilical artery is the most common malformation of the cord.  It CAN be associated with some fetal problems, but there is a low incidence of this, and you have already had a normal ultrasound, which is quite reassuring.  Your doctor is quite right to tell you everything will most likely be fine.

Probably you will have another ultrasound or two to be sure the baby is growing properly during the rest of the pregnancy.  But it sounds like you are doing wonderfully!  Enjoy your pregnancy!
My first son had this problem and he is a perfect 4 year old. Dont let it worry you!
Hello Everyone,

Well, I am 34 weeks and I'll be due Jan. 25th 2004.  I had a u/s last week and noticed that I had a single umbilical artery, this rises great concern for me because they just detected this now that I am almost pre-term.  Any how, the sonographer and the doctor who performed my u/s said the baby was growing fine and that she looked healthy but you can never quite tell.  This is my third child, my son is 5 years old and was a healthy boy, I miscarried my 2nd.  I know that I should not be worry if they told me everything looked okay but you can never know right. Can anyone help me or give me a little info. on this??

Thanks a bunch